GDT: Preseason Toronto vs Montreal September 24, 2017, 7:30 PM, TSN4, Scotiabank Arena

Status
Not open for further replies.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
This is shaping up to be a good battle for that d spot. Oz in my opinion has made the team. It's Dermott or Rosen battling for that last spot.

Reactions: TimeZone

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
We could carry 8 D and that might be what happens, I'd just wonder who of the seven (two if eight) gets scratched when all are healthy? Could make sense if it's rotational, but that might not be a long-term solution.
In theory all of Hainsey, Carrick, dermott, Rosen and ozhiganov could rotate until someone shows they earn a spot.(in Hainsey case you rotate him to keep him fresh) if you play 7 D, rotating gets easier

Reactions: Buds17

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
This is shaping up to be a good battle for that d spot. Oz in my opinion has made the team. It's Dermott or Rosen battling for that last spot.

Rosen has certainly looked better than Dermott so far imo. I agree OZ likely cracked the squad, barring an extreme fall off the last few games.

Reactions: francis246

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I’m surprised people are harping on Mikey so much regarding our defensive pairings.

There IS a case for having Rosen ahead of Dermott. Dermott no doubt had a good finish to last year, but so did Rosen. it was always going to be a dog fight for the #5 and #6 spots. Some people though Dermott was\is a lock... but he isn’t! He hasn’t earned special privileges yet!

Exactly, like big deal our bluechip d man isn't playing like a slam dunk right now... BIG DEAL!!! Go down for a month get back up to top shape and come back up, but no, we can't criticize star players here in Toronto. Guy is 21 and has played in 43 NHL games, lets pump the brakes a bit.

I tend to agree.

People seem to want players handed spots, with no sort of tough love, or turbulance. And if there is tough love or turbulance, it's not their fault, Babcock should just be fired. If Calle Rosen plays Game 1 next Wednesday over Travis Dermott, it doesn't mean anything long-term. It's just that Calle Rosen has played a hell of a stretch run in the AHL, and has looked awesome in camp, and is getting the chance. Even more so now that Dermott is dealing with a shoulder issue.

Calle Rosen and Travis Dermott could combine to be our #2, and #3 LD's behind Morgan Rielly next season, so we need to focus on developing them both IMO. Obviously Rasmus Sandin could put himself into the conversation as early as next year as well.

I think between Morgan Rielly, Travis Dermott, Calle Rosen, Andreas Borgman and Rasmus Sandin, our 3 LHD's are there for the foreseeable future. So, if Calle Rosen plays off the start instead of Travis Dermott, that's not saying Dermott is garbage, it's also saying that Rosen has been tremendous and we only really have 1 spot for either of them to play.

Also to clarify, I believe in resigning Jake Gardiner, but that's purely because we don't know Dermott/Rosen/Borgman/Sandin will develop and while each has shown glimpses of even being top 4 guys, it's nothing that's been over a significant sample. So while we could re-sign Gardiner today, we still have the potential option of trading him next summer, or the deadline after that, or whenever we may see fit.

Reactions: kb and Mikeyg

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I tend to agree.

People seem to want players handed spots, with no sort of tough love, or turbulance. And if there is tough love or turbulance, it's not their fault, Babcock should just be fired. If Calle Rosen plays Game 1 next Wednesday over Travis Dermott, it doesn't mean anything long-term. It's just that Calle Rosen has played a hell of a stretch run in the AHL, and has looked awesome in camp, and is getting the chance. Even more so now that Dermott is dealing with a shoulder issue.

Calle Rosen and Travis Dermott could combine to be our #2, and #3 LD's behind Morgan Rielly next season, so we need to focus on developing them both IMO. Obviously Rasmus Sandin could put himself into the conversation as early as next year as well.

I think between Morgan Rielly, Travis Dermott, Calle Rosen, Andreas Borgman and Rasmus Sandin, our 3 LHD's are there for the foreseeable future. So, if Calle Rosen plays off the start instead of Travis Dermott, that's not saying Dermott is garbage, it's also saying that Rosen has been tremendous and we only really have 1 spot for either of them to play.

Also to clarify, I believe in resigning Jake Gardiner, but that's purely because we don't know Dermott/Rosen/Borgman/Sandin will develop and while each has shown glimpses of even being top 4 guys, it's nothing that's been over a significant sample. So while we could re-sign Gardiner today, we still have the potential option of trading him next summer, or the deadline after that, or whenever we may see fit.

Agree with everything in this post. I also believe we will resign Gardiner. Defensemen are so hard to acquire I cannot see them letting Gardiner walk and I'm not sure they trade him unless Dermott takes a huge leap

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
It is crazy how fast people are turning on Dermott after a slow start to preseason...

Last year he was a lock to replace Gardiner this year and a top 4D.

Now he is struggling to make the 3rd pairing. I dont see anyway Dermott doesn't make this team.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
It is crazy how fast people are turning on Dermott after a slow start to preseason...

Now he is struggling to make the 3rd pairing. I dont see anyway Dermott doesn't make this team.

I don't see it as turning. I think a lot of people got that shinny new toy syndrome with Dermott. He is not even close to being better than Gardiner. A lot of people killed me for defending Gardiner last year, but once you actually take a step back and look at the whole picture. dermott has a lot of upside and potential but he hasn't reach it yet. He still has a lot of work to do.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
I don't see it as turning. I think a lot of people got that shinny new toy syndrome with Dermott. He is not even close to being better than Gardiner. A lot of people killed me for defending Gardiner last year, but once you actually take a step back and look at the whole picture. dermott has a lot of upside and potential but he hasn't reach it yet. He still has a lot of work to do.
I agree, I was a big advocate for taking it slow with Dermott and not trying to shoehorn him into a top 4 slot.

Just funny how people seem to only care about the past 2 months when evaluating players.. some seriously short term memory around these parts.

Reactions: francis246

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
no he doesn't.. Oz is a right hand shot. He's playing lol. Dermott is battling for that LD spot.
Yes I know, you mentioned him in and the other two battling it out. Unless Dermott is injured I don't see him losing his job in top 6. Rosen is moving in on the 7 slot.

AppsSyl

May 28, 2015
Those saying Dermott should not get a spot are suffering from some serious recency bias. The difference in our team last season when he and Kappy were put into the line up is night and day. Both are very important to our line up, and a couple of off pre-season games is not going to change that. Carrick on the other hand should be worried.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Those saying Dermott should not get a spot are suffering from some serious recency bias. The difference in our team last season when he and Kappy were put into the line up is night and day. Both are very important to our line up, and a couple of off pre-season games is not going to change that. Carrick on the other hand should be worried.
Babs was pushing him with his comments, he does this with players he really likes. Nobody has soured on Dermott, he has a bright future imho, top 4.

Reactions: AppsSyl

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
If Dermott loses a spot on the third or 4th line, there will be a lot of criticism coming to the leafs this year. Last year he played like an elite 3rd liner. No excuses

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Ozhiganov a front-runner for Maple Leafs' third defensive pairing - Sportsnet.ca

"The Leafs could start the season carrying eight defencemen, although Babcock noted that he’ll probably go with seven once William Nylander’s contract stalemate ends. With a top four of Rielly, Gardiner, Zaitsev and Ron Hainsey already locked in and a healthy Dermott all-but assured of the fifth spot, you’re left with Ozhiganov, Rosen, Carrick, Holl and Andreas Borgman battling for two jobs."

member 262271

To me it's crazy that is the same thing year after year, turning on players and then endlessly arguing about it. I'm rooting for all of these guys, if they don't make it here then hopefully they find success elsewhere. As for Dermott specifically, it falls under the "nothing else to talk about" preseason hockey umbrella. Create some narrative that he's injury prone - I swear hockey fans can't just be satisfied they have to complain instead of just enjoying the sport. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeesh,

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Babs was pushing him with his comments, he does this with players he really likes. Nobody has soured on Dermott, he has a bright future imho, top 4.

I agree. Dermott, Kapanen and Johnsson going into this season. Last year IIRC, it was Marleau, Kadri and Komarov. Nothing out of the ordinary to me.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I agree, I was a big advocate for taking it slow with Dermott and not trying to shoehorn him into a top 4 slot.

Just funny how people seem to only care about the past 2 months when evaluating players.. some seriously short term memory around these parts.

I agree, let him naturally progress to that stage. Look how long it took Morgan rielly to get to where he is. Defenseman take longer to develop and with Gardiner and Rielly on the left, there should be no rush. Sandin, Dermott and Liljegren will be up here in no time. Once hainsey is off the books, things look up

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

kb

Aug 28, 2009
I tend to agree.

This - exactly.

Last edited:

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
There's spots for everyone. It's not really matter of one guy over the other at this point either.

To me right now..
Rielly zaitsev
Gardiner Hainsey
Dermott Ozhiganov (could be a dynamite 3rd pairing.)
Rosen

AHL(in order of call up)
Borgman
Marincin
Holl
Liljeren

Waivers -->AHL or 8th D(depending on forward roster spots/waiver risk)
Connor Carrick.

Easy. Literally no arguing necessary

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Rielly Hainsey
Gardiner Zaitsev
Dermott Ozhiganov
Rosen Borgman

Hainsey cashes in his gud pro card.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

Do you even understand what ‘recency bias’ is?

Dermott only played about what, 30 games last season? Sure, he played well in extremely sheltered minutes, but you really can’t call him an established player yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad