GDT: Preseason Hockey! New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders, 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That one must have been bad, because Reggie would catch balls back in his prime.
It was a long shot (I think a rolling puck though) and went right over Blackwood's glove. His glove (wasn't that supposed to be his strength?) is pretty useless and he just goes down too early and that's another problem (like on goal 2) that's been recurring over the last few years. And the only defense (no pun intended) I might have for him on that is maybe this is a (goalie) coaching issue.

Reactions: Bone Density

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
I like him but man I think he is what he is. And what he is is a below average NHL goalie.

Even with a good defense, you gotta make some routine saves. And he has not shown the ability to do it consistently in over two years.

Reactions: Bleedred

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Why do people want to defend Mackenzie Badwood anyway?
Hopefully Vitek kicks ass on Saturday and he becomes Mackenzie Back (up) wood and stays that way.

And then at season's end, he can became Samsonovwood when we don't wanna pay him his $3 million qualifying offer and then maybe the new Leafs GM can sign him for $1.5 million for one year.

Well, I'm kidding on the last part.

Eggtimer

Jul 4, 2011
Calgary Alberta
I can see Blackwood getting the home opener just because he has been on the team since day 1. Nothing to do with who is playing better. I think it will be play until you lose ( unless you look amazing despite the loss ) Or maybe just a straight up 1:1 split unless one vastly outplays the other

Reactions: HBK27

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022

fxa3X96.jpg

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I like him but man I think he is what he is. And what he is is a below average NHL goalie.

Even with a good defense, you gotta make some routine saves. And he has not shown the ability to do it consistently in over two years.
His AHL career was a major red flag. If he hadn't had a 55 game stretch (and that's regular season only) like he's currently riding then you could disregard his AHL career, but his AHL career was mediocre and his best year in the A was his first year there, which was the only average year.

At best, I think you can argue goalie coaching is a problem and at worst maybe he was gonna be a good goalie at the NHL level, but he's now permanently compromised/injured/permanently broken. Even in his first two years his goals saved above expected was still a negative in both years, but only by about a half a goal.

The hiring of Rogalski and dismissal of Melanson is not looking like a good first move for Marty and Clemmer.

I can see Blackwood getting the home opener just because he has been on the team since day 1. Nothing to do with who is playing better. I think it will be play until you lose ( unless you look amazing despite the loss ) Or maybe just a straight up 1:1 split unless one vastly outplays the other
It shouldn't be an even split unless both just suck.

If the last 55 games of Blackwood's regular season (which is following suit this preseason, with tonight's game) is any indication then he'll be having too many games like tonight to undo his good performances like his game against the Rangers.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
His AHL career was a major red flag. If he hadn't had a 55 game stretch (and that's regular season only) like he's currently riding then you could disregard his AHL career, but his AHL career was mediocre and his best year in the A was his first year there, which was the only average year.

At best, I think you can argue goalie coaching is a problem and at worst maybe he was gonna be a good goalie at the NHL level, but he's now permanently compromised/injured/permanently broken. Even in his first two years his goals saved above expected was still a negative in both years, but only by about a half a goal.

The hiring of Rogalski and dismissal of Melanson is not looking like a good first move for Marty and Clemmer.
Bernier will be back after Thanksgiving and hanging him on a hook in the goal and just have him kick out his legs at the puck is probably enough to get to about .905 and they can trade Blackwood

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Should have seen it coming w Marty tbh.

Love the man, but he ALWAYS gave me the vibe of a guy who was good in a way he doesn’t fully understand and can’t teach. Which means he shouldn’t be in charge of developing any sort of goalie program.
I don't wanna say this means he's can't do better on his next hire, but his initial hire/vote of confidence for Rogalski is looking like a poor one as of right now. Blackwood has been terrible under him, while playing solid for Melanson. The other goalies have also sucked since Rogalski took over, but none of the other goalies are any good in the NHL anyway, other than Bernier, who was playing on a bad hip and was shut down after 10 games because of it.

And Marty himself confirmed on a podcast earlier this year that the goalie committee which consists of namely he and Scott Clemmensen, decided to ''Clean up'' the goalie coaching position, after never really hearing why Melanson was gone or if it was his decision to step down, like it was when he was in Vancouver and stepped down to take care of his sick mother. Marty answered that question for me.

Reactions: Bone Density

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022

Love the man, but he ALWAYS gave me the vibe of a guy who was good in a way he doesn’t fully understand and can’t teach. Which means he shouldn’t be in charge of developing any sort of goalie program.
Marty's style was so unique, it's hard to teach that, let alone with goalies that play a totally different game today.

He should be involved but I'm not sure as THE guy on the goalie front.

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut

Agreed, and it's the same reason why Gretzky was a shitty coach for the Coyotes. Although in hindsight that might have had more to do with the fact that it's the Coyotes.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
How was the game as a whole? Had to miss this one.

Anyone stick out good or bad?
It was unrelenting pulse pounding excitement. Like watching a contractor grout tiles. Like reading an old phone book. Not dissimilar from packing lunches for an elementary school field trip. Akin to buying manure for thr garden. I’d give it 6 stars out of 3. Blackwood got sloppy and looked bad. Beyond that thr linrup was so disjointed you can’t say anyone or anything can be fairly evaluated.

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
I do think Marty could make a solid GM if he put his mind to it.
I don't wanna say this means he's can't do better on his next hire, but his initial hire/vote of confidence for Rogalski is looking like a poor one as of right now. Blackwood has been terrible under him, while playing solid for Melanson. The other goalies have also sucked since Rogalski took over, but none of the other goalies are any good in the NHL anyway, other than Bernier, who was playing on a bad hip and was shut down after 10 games because of it.

And Marty himself confirmed on a podcast earlier this year that the goalie committee which consists of namely he and Scott Clemmensen, decided to ''Clean up'' the goalie coaching position, after never really hearing why Melanson was gone or if it was his decision to step down, like it was when he was in Vancouver and stepped down to take care of his sick mother. Marty answered that question for me.
Didn't we have Anders Nilsson around too? Was he fired.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00