GDT: Preseason Hockey! New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders, 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
I'm actually (for the first time) starting to highly doubt we see Blackwood opening night, unless Vanecek gets crushed pretty similar to this on Saturday night.
Vanicheck looks better so not sure if it matters who they go with opening night but i assume vanicheck will get opening night.. he earned ... blackwood cannot just be anointed the spot he has to earn the teams trust

Reactions: Bleedred

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Not just based on this game, can't see Lindy Ruff making it through the year.

If he is teaching doesn't seem to be getting through. And rarely seems very positive about things.

Team has a long way to go and a lot of youth.

But they seem to be falling into the same patterns.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Nemec does so many small things that most D-men his age (or vets for that matter) don’t do. His IQ is very impressive for an 18 year-old player.
agreed dude is ready to go right now.. but I think Bahl looked really good too and they are gonna take him. and they won't keep 8 ... We will see Nemec this season... and once he comes up he's not going back..but they will prob get hime 15-20 games in the A first

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Blackwood's preseason (assuming he doesn't see any action Saturday night) 71 saves on 79 shots = .899%. So pretty close to what we've seen in his last 55 regular season games.

#MarketCorrections
yeah right now his level of play is of mid back up until he proves otherwise. hopefully vanicheck is the dude

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Vanicheck looks better so not sure if it matters who they go with opening night but i assume vanicheck will get opening night.. he earned ... blackwood cannot just be anointed the spot he has to earn the teams trust

Jacques Plante reincarnated wouldn't have fared any better behind that team defense tonight.

Might have been even worse had Blackwood not stopped the breakaway and several point blank opportunities.

The carelessness with the puck of the past three years continues; seemingly with no consequences.

PizzaAndPucks

New Jersey Angels diehard
Nov 29, 2018
It's still preseason. Look at the forward lineup we used compared to the Islanders. This was basically the kids last night who were fringe players to make the lineup a chance to show what they have. Sucks Blackwood had a rough night. This game in my mind pretty much cements raw fact we need a forward innthe 2023 draft.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
not the worst result with a roster full of kids playing a game that doesn't count
yeah and the vets wanna get on with it already... worst game of the pre season though..

If he is teaching doesn't seem to be getting through. And rarely seems very positive about things.

Team has a long way to go and a lot of youth.

But they seem to be falling into the same patterns.
if they are healthy and they are floundering by thanksgiving he could be gone... his leash isn't long.. however i for one don't think he is a bad coach.. not saying he is the best out there but its unfair to judge him completely with the injuries they had in net and elsewhere last year.. bottom line is if the goaltending is vastly improved and the pp is middle of pack we are in good shape

Bone Density

Jul 27, 2022
It's still preseason. Look at the forward lineup we used compared to the Islanders. This was basically the kids last night who were fringe players to make the lineup a chance to show what they have. Sucks Blackwood had a rough night. This game in my mind pretty much cements raw fact we need a forward innthe 2023 draft.
I hope Fitz goes hard after Meier if he's available. Maybe that huge QO scares them off.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we struggle like we did last year, no matter the reasons: Bad goaltending, bad power play, half the team gets injured, it don't matter. I'd lay money on him being fired by the middle of the season.

And I struck out over and over on this last year, but his successor has already been hired.

If Andrew Brunette weren't brought in, I might even expect a Lindy Ruff extension at this point.

Well..... Not really that much, but I wouldn't make any more ''Lindy will be fired by.....'' predictions.

And I still won't make any dates or timelines here, but with the soft strength of schedule to open the season, it could be bad for him if we only win 2 or 3 of those first 9 games.

Reactions: Guadana

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
yeah and the vets wanna get on with it already... worst game of the pre season though..

if they are healthy and they are floundering by thanksgiving he could be gone... his leash isn't long.. however i for one don't think he is a bad coach.. not saying he is the best out there but its unfair to judge him completely with the injuries they had in net and elsewhere last year.. bottom line is if the goaltending is vastly improved and the pp is middle of pack we are in good shape
Lindy doesn’t even have to Thanksgiving. If they are struggling by Nov. 1 he is gone.

captainscott12

Jul 13, 2022
Jacques Plante reincarnated wouldn't have fared any better behind that team defense tonight.

Might have been even worse had Blackwood not stopped the breakaway and several point blank opportunities.

The carelessness with the puck of the past three years continues; seemingly with no consequences.
thats why they brought in guys like Haula and Palat... those guys will help turn it around in that respect imo... can't get too bent on a pre season game... i will say Brenden Smith is about the 8th or 9th best defenseman we have which is a good sign.

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011

You've been saying this OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER for the last year or more. ''The defense, the defense, the defense, the defense''.

Did you see goal 2? You admitted you weren't even watching the 1st period. If that's not a bad goal, there are no bad goals. When the RAGING HOMER color commentator for the other team goes on a mini rant like I do about the goal being bad, you KNOW it's a BAD GOAL.

Goal 5 was something Reggie Jackson could have caught..... All 76 years of him.

And then the save Okhotyuk made on the wraparound where Blackwood came across about as quick as I'd expect all 50 years and 250 pounds of Marty Brodeur to move.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
agreed dude is ready to go right now.. but I think Bahl looked really good too and they are gonna take him. and they won't keep 8 ... We will see Nemec this season... and once he comes up he's not going back..but they will prob get hime 15-20 games in the A first
I have absolutely no problem with Nemec playing most of the year in the A. Let him marinate and further improve on his strengths.

SJinNewJersey

Every single one of us, the devil inside
Dec 21, 2017
New Jersey
If we struggle like we did last year, no matter the reasons: Bad goaltending, bad power play, half the team gets injured, it don't matter. I'd lay money on him being fired by the middle of the season.

And I struck out over and over on this last year, but his successor has already been hired.

If Andrew Brunette weren't brought in, I might even expect a Lindy Ruff extension at this point.

Well..... Not really that much, but I wouldn't make any more ''Lindy will be fired by.....'' predictions.

And I still won't make any dates or timelines here, but with the soft strength of schedule to open the season, it could be bad for him if we only win 2 or 3 of those first 9 games.
If we struggle early, Lindy could be gone by Thanksgiving.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
If we struggle early, Lindy could be gone by Thanksgiving.
I don't think they're f***in around anymore, not with Brunette here.

If we hired Kevin Dineen or some NOBODY JABRONI like that to be the assistant in the spot Brunette is in, I would even think he could potentially survive the entire year if it goes just as poorly as last year.

But we didn't.

It ain't gonna be no asinine Ray Shero send Kate Madigan down to the bench to babysit Lindy Ruff move (like sending Fitz to go hold Hynes hand a couple weeks into the season that year and desperately keeping Hynes coaching tenure alive artificially by machine), Ruff will be GONE.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

Honestly the second he gets sacked he should be hired for the Sabres TV broadcasts and serve as a goodwill ambassador for us. He was either a player or coach with the Sabres for half of our entire existence.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Honestly the second he gets sacked he should be hired for the Sabres TV broadcasts and serve as a goodwill ambassador for us. He was either a player or coach with the Sabres for half of our entire existence.
I could see him working a role here with us doing something that isn't coaching.

If the Sabres contact him and offer a role like that, he might take it.

I'm not sure if he still has a home in the area or not.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
You've been saying this OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER for the last year or more. ''The defense, the defense, the defense, the defense''.

Did you see goal 2? You admitted you weren't even watching the 1st period. If that's not a bad goal, there are no bad goals. When the RAGING HOMER color commentator for the other team goes on a mini rant like I do about the goal being bad, you KNOW it's a BAD GOAL.

Goal 5 was something Reggie Jackson could have caught..... All 76 years of him.

And then the save Okhotyuk made on the wraparound where Blackwood came across about as quick as I'd expect all 50 years and 250 pounds of Marty Brodeur to move.
That one must have been bad, because Reggie wouldn’t catch balls back in his prime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad