GDT: Preseason Hockey! New Jersey Devils @ New York Islanders, 7:00 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I’m not even sure if Holtz will make the team, but I’m leaning towards yes, but I he’ll be on a short leash.

Like if it’s 9 or 10 games in and he only has 2-3 points, I think back to Utica he’ll go. He’ll have to produce points if he’s gonna be playing in the NHL. If he’s not registering any points, I think they’ll want him back in the AHL.

Reactions: mdj12784

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Holtz will never be a play driver. I don't put much stock on his play during the preseason where he plays with different players every game and most of them aren't that good.

His test comes when the season starts and he's put with Hughes or Hischier, Personally I think a Palat/Hischier/Holtz line would be a perfect fit for him as it would allow Holtz to be able to set up his spots more easier while Palat and Hischier can fore-check along the boards and protect the puck. Clearly the coaches think differently so far.

Capt Nico Poo

Holik to HHOF
Nov 7, 2009
Finland
We are seeing similar development path with Holtz as with Laine: A one-dimensional scorer with a great shot. There's a lot more needed to become a legit NHL player and even Laine is struggling. Sure with Holtz i hope they focus more on his offensive traits and grt him scoring instead of trying to make him into an all-round player.

ninetyeight

Jun 3, 2007
Finland
This is gonna sound real harsh and over reactionary to a preseason game but whatever..

What a terrible game that was to watch. Super disappointed on almost everyone on the team. Even Clarke who had his best preseason game made some terrible plays (like that full blast pass to Foote on pp). I know the team in front sucked, but maybe lets not waive Bernier just yet, jesus christ Blackwood..

Boqvist for sure is gone. I was excited to see him showcase his skills with 1st line minutes, but he looked terrible. I'm sure he'll be a 0.5ppg+ player eventually, but the fact that he shit the bed on his best (one?) shot to demostrate his play and make the team, tells something about his character.

Just a month ago I thought Okhotyuk was miles ahead of Bahl, but he's been absolutely useless this preseason. Bahl looks multiple levels better than him.

Holtz looked like the last season nhl-holtz, very disappointed with his performance. If he's not playing with Hughes he doesn't look very good. I'm with whoever said to give him a couple of games start the season and sent him to AHL if he doesn't look good and/or score. I think his shot is way over rated, he's nowhere close to Laine etc. He takes a lot of shots and he misses the net almost everytime. He's still young so another year in the AHL is not the worst thing, but it is frustrating and worrisome to see it take this long, when so many others from that draft and the next, are already looking like NHLers.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Wait until they lose to AHL Flyers then if they lose you can say that. :popcorn:

Keep hearing the "AHL Flyers" rhetoric but not buying it.

Hart is bound to bounce back if he is healthy and the team plays some semblance of a structure; something Tortorella will demand.

Top to bottom they have a pretty competent D corps and the forward group isn't as bad as some are saying. Can see guys like Hayes, Konecny and Atkinson could all having strong seasons.

Call Me Al

Aug 28, 2017
so our ahl lineup loses to the islanders starting squad and i see half of this place is ready to jump of a cliff. jesus

my only problem is that lineup in the first place - i get needing to see the last few players competing for spots, but none of them were put in a position to succeed. kind of a waste of a game

Clam Jensen

Apr 8, 2008
NJ
so our ahl lineup loses to the islanders starting squad and i see half of this place is ready to jump of a cliff. jesus

my only problem is that lineup in the first place - i get needing to see the last few players competing for spots, but none of them were put in a position to succeed. kind of a waste of a game
Yea what did anyone expect from this game lol.

markog

Apr 4, 2008
Slovenia

Nobody cares about preseason, people hype up Flyers to have excuses ready is another thing.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

I don't really understand this thinking, it's not like they played with guys who don't fit one another's style. Zetterlund-Boqvist-Holtz should be a capable 3rd line and shouldn't get destroyed going up against a top line.

They played as expected and Blackwood got some tough breaks.

Reactions: ninetyeight

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016
Keep hearing the "AHL Flyers" rhetoric but not buying it.

Hart is bound to bounce back if he is healthy and the team plays some semblance of a structure; something Tortorella will demand.

Top to bottom they have a pretty competent D corps and the forward group isn't as bad as some are saying. Can see guys like Hayes, Konecny and Atkinson could all having strong seasons.

You're either trolling or don't know anything about the flyers.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

It’s not like they needed to win the game and get a prize here.

People overreact to these games and production in these games. My favorite part is complaints about +/- along with deciding that Blackwood is doomed.

People can say “excuse”, I call being reasonable. If you want a flawless team effort from that line-up against what was the Islanders actual top six, I don’t know what to tell you.

This wasn’t Boqvist’s “one chance” to make the team, he really has no spot on it right now. He could have gone out there and had a crazy good performance but what where would that have come from considering the camp he had.

The Islanders announcers seemed to think Zetterlund did fine despite the +/-.

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
Preseason game results are utterly meaningless. Does anyone even remember our preseason records or individual game performances from seasons past? Lol.

I’m quite confident in saying that over the last ten putrid years of awful hockey…the team has had some preseasons that went well and some that didn’t. It’s an indicator of absolutely nothing as far as team performance goes once the real season starts.

That being said…I absolutely do not trust Blackwood to “bounce back”…what exactly is he bouncing back to? The guy has had way more mediocre showings than not over the last few years. The only way I see him passing off as a starter is if the Devils suddenly develop a Trotz-like defensive structure in front of him. In other words…it ain’t happening. I think we have to pin our hopes on Vitek, personally.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
You're either trolling or don't know anything about the flyers.
Trolling? Because I have an opinion that differs from yours?

In the same manner that this group tends too overrate Devils players you seem to do the opposite with the Flyers.

We'll see next week but after last night if you think it will be a walkover I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion.

Unknown Caller

Apr 30, 2009
If Holtz and Zetterlund aren’t on the opening night roster, this staff are morons. I don’t care about last night.
The overreactions are idiotic. Every young player is going to have up and down games and some inconsistency. Holtz has showed he made improvements where it was needed and he's been one of the best players on the ice in multiple preseason games. He's fine, and he's certainly not going to shoot 0% over a large sample size.

I'm happy he'll be due for regression to the mean when the regular season starts rather than shooting 28% in the preseason just to have it drop off when the games matter.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We are seeing similar development path with Holtz as with Laine: A one-dimensional scorer with a great shot. There's a lot more needed to become a legit NHL player and even Laine is struggling. Sure with Holtz i hope they focus more on his offensive traits and grt him scoring instead of trying to make him into an all-round player.
While Holtz will never be a true “play driver”, his playmaking abilities are better than Laine’s imo. His playmaking has always been underrated ever since his draft year.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007

In the same manner that this group tends too overrate Devils players you seem to do the opposite with the Flyers.

We'll see next week but after last night if you think it will be a walkover I'm not sure how you reach that conclusion.

'after last night' - The Devils dressed maximum 2 forwards that might play in their top 9 on opening night. Half the players that played last night will be off the roster by Sunday. It's just refusing to look at reality. If the Devils had won last night, I'd be saying the same thing, this isn't the team.

Goptor

Jun 30, 2016

You're aware that Farabee, Couturier, Ellis, and Brink are all out injured and won't be seen on the ice for some time?

They were in last place for 2021-2022 and their turnover is -Farabee -Giroux +DeAngelo +Deslauriers.

On top of that, there will not be any "bouce back" by Hart because he was a good goalie last year. There is nothing to bounce back from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad