GDT: Preseason Game 4: Pens vs. Red Wings @ 5:00pm EST (NHL Network) 9/22/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
3 things massively standout this preseason.

1) The much needed ASAP defensive depth: Marino/Riikola/Ruh fighting for a 7 spot is tremendous. That came out of nowhere. And it was needed. Marino has been the absolute bright spot of camp.

2) The unknown offensive depth that looks ready: Before we solely focused on ZAR/Simon, but then guys Laff and others. Even DiPauli has shown a nice jump. Aggo looked solid. I am very surprised with some unknowns who are just waiting for an injury to step on up.

3) The future: POJ, Legare, Poulin, Addison, etc. The future actually looks bright. Hopefully these guys pan out. They look legit.
The biggest thing for me is that with those options, if they continue to play well...I do not want to see guys like Trotman etc being called up. I am sick of seeing these jobbers get a shot, we finally have some options there worthy of a look, I want to see them used.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I <heart emoji> Teddy, Lafferty, and Marino.

Rust looks like the old Rusty. This is why I was adamant that we shouldn't trade him for cap just yet.

Uncle Riiko looks like the 6D to me.
The three stand outs for me in this game were Marino, Jarry and Lafferty in that order. You talk about strong positioning, a good stick, poise and pin point passing under duress, Marino looks very polished to me. I LOVE what I'm seeing out of this kid. Jarry was solid and unfortunately was left out to dry quite a bit. He''s the reason we even got to OT. And Lafferty was visible throughout. His speed and tenacity on the forecheck even a blind man could see. Kudos to the coaching staff for affording Marino, Lafferty and Legare long looks.

+++++ team speed

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You always have to temper your enthusiasm or expectations because this is pre season and all, but you can't look much better than he has to this point.
He signed because he was closest to NHL ready after the Pens talked to him. I think he will get a few call-ups this season and will be a regular next year as well.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I'm sure Sully and JR want JJ gone and they see what we all see everytime he touches the puck or doesn't but what can ya do? need to somehow trade him and nobody will want him if he's always scratched and they probably don't want him in WBS because how much he makes. They are not stupid, they know he's garbage just like he knows. Also it's not our money.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
He signed because he was closest to NHL ready after the Pens talked to him. I think he will get a few call-ups this season and will be a regular next year as well.
I don't disagree at all in that he's close to NHL ready. I'm very impressed with his overall game. This looks like a great pick up for JR provided Marino continues along this path.

I hope he plays Wednesday.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I honestly need to see a JJ-Guds preseason game now.
The brass should have a look at it as well.
Do it for G5 of PS and if it's an absolute tire fire you see what Riiko-Guds looks like in G6.

I'd give Marino Schultz's spot next to MP for a game and Schultz gets the final game.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I honestly need to see a JJ-Guds preseason game now.
The brass should have a look at it as well.
Do it for G5 of PS and if it's an absolute tire fire you see what Riiko-Guds looks like in G6.

I'd give Marino Schultz's spot next to MP for a game and Schultz gets the final game.

While not the best use of Cap dollars, JJ should be the 7th dman and scratched the majority of nights

But let's not pretend that contracts don't matter in the NHL

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Didn’t watch... how bad was Johnson? Pensburgh has their 1138th article up yelling about him so I figure he must have been brutal again.

Looks like ZAR made some plays in the condensed game highlights at least.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Didn’t watch... how bad was Johnson? Pensburgh has their 1138th article up yelling about him so I figure he must have been brutal again.

Looks like ZAR made some plays in the condensed game highlights at least.

I think this post by me sums up how Johnson looked last night:

"There's no way that Johnson can be worse than what he was last year"

Jack Johnson:

giphy.gif

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I mean,

The more I watch it the more I don’t know what he was doing and he was bad again outside of that.

I hate making excuses for a piece of garbage defenseman, but he was trying to corral it and eventually throw it towards the backboards.
The Det player timed it well enough so that JJ's backwards movement propelled the puck into the net.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
So you're saying his low IQ compliments his low skills?

I think any left handed Dman would have chosen the same route to get it out of danger honestly. Was a case of bad luck/timing
But as someone posted above, it's like a curse that follows this dude around. He is truly an albatross

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad