GDT: Preseason Game 4: Pens vs. Red Wings @ 5:00pm EST (NHL Network) 9/22/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I hate making excuses for a piece of garbage defenseman, but he was trying to corral it and eventually throw it towards the backboards.
The Det player timed it well enough so that JJ's backwards movement propelled the puck into the net.

Yeah, but it’s a really awkward attempt to corral the puck. Or I’ve watched it too many times.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I can mostly see what JJ was TRYING to do there. I think. But holy crap is that illustrative of the entire JJ experience, to date.

Ultimately one hilariously bad play doesn't matter in the balance. The problem is he's been pretty putrid aside from that.

The fact that Marino had another good game while skating with that guy is probably all the proof anyone needs that he's a high quality young player.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
So. Lost two preseason games in OT b2b and both games had a goal off penguin defense. Guds just unlucky, but JJ actively throwing the puck at his own goalie.

Otherwise, decently entertaining games.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I mean,

The more I watch it the more I don’t know what he was doing and he was bad again outside of that.

As bad as this play was, and it was bad. JJ actually wasn't the worst D man wearing a Pens jersey in that game. Almari was just brutal whenever he was on the ice.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
I hate making excuses for a piece of garbage defenseman, but he was trying to corral it and eventually throw it towards the backboards.
The Det player timed it well enough so that JJ's backwards movement propelled the puck into the net.

Nah...there is no defending JJ on that play. As soon as the puck was anywhere near his stick it should have been shot into the corner. JJ took a second to try to get fancy and it cost the team.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Nah...there is no defending JJ on that play. As soon as the puck was anywhere near his stick it should have been shot into the corner. JJ took a second to try to get fancy and it cost the team.

Yeah that was kind of my assessment, too. Absolutely should have just tried to chop it into the corner. Was already on his forehand. Attempting to corral the puck on your backhand in that high danger of an area, as if he has the hands for that, is example number infinite as to how low his hockey IQ and panic threshold is.

I know it's really not fair dissecting play after play. Mistakes happen. I don't feel so bad in this case, though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad