GDT: Preseason Game 4: Pens vs. Red Wings @ 5:00pm EST (NHL Network) 9/22/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I haven't caught any of the games...

Has Jarry been that good? It would be sad to see DeSmith go after the season he had.

In the ordinary run of things no, but getting under the cap makes it a bit more likely.

Don't get me wrong, Jarry's been good, just probably not quite good enough to displace someone. And if he does, I think it'll be as much about whether he's showing good habits and maturity around camp as anything. Everyone who cares to know knows that Jarry's got a lot of talent and can be as good as DeSmith right now - the question is whether can keep his focus and do that in the uneven rhythm of a back-up.

edit: Also, in a super deflated market for goaltenders, maybe DeSmith might be a little more likely to get a trade return if they want to avoid waivers/conversely a few NHL games might boost Jarry's value if they get DeSmith past waivers but see that as a short term thing. Minor consideration but it's there.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
WTF I missed this one too.. the OP said tomorrow and I thought that meant monday.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
So it is like a Toews versus Crosby thing?

No. The post I responded to knows what he means by energy, so I responded with my take on the assumption that I know what he means. It’s called communicating, and you’re being rude and interrupting :popcorn:

Basically just means inspiring try-hard. Lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This is not what I want. This is what I think will happen.

The 6 starting defense for Game 1 of the regular season barring 0 injuries:
- Dumo/Letang/Pets/Schultz/JJ/Guds (HS: Riikola) (Waived: Ruh) (To WBS: Marino)

The 12th/13th forward
- ZAR will start. Simon will sit. Laff will go to WBS.

Backup Goalie
- This is tough... I'm going w/ Jarry gets the nod, DeSmith waived.

Few comments:

1. I don't agree with you on point 1, I think Riikola gets waived and Ruhwedel stays up. Based on the way the Penguins operate, I don't think they're the kind of team that would waive someone like Ruhwedel. That's not what they normally do, they'll waive the younger/newer guy who hasn't settled into Pittsburgh yet.
2. I still think this is an open competition, which is pretty crazy considering how incompetent Simon has looked. I know the organization likes ZAR, but they also like Simon and I don't buy they'll play a bad ZAR over Simon.
3. I don't think DeSmith gets waived, I think he gets traded. He'd be a good backup on a lot of teams, so you're better off getting a 3rd for him (which is the minimum for what he'd bring back) over waiving him . Even with a dead goalie market, a backup of DeSmith's caliber with that contract has value.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
All things being equal, Riikola is more likely to get claimed than Ruhwedel. That plus he’s more comfortable playing either side than Ruh, I think he stays up.

I don’t think they have confidence in Jarry in a backup role and I wouldn’t either. They probably have an idea in mind as far as what kind of return value is worth more than the value of trying to keep him but maybe losing him on waivers. Like if the best offer is a 7th they probably take their chances but if it’s a 5th they move him.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
All things being equal, Riikola is more likely to get claimed than Ruhwedel. That plus he’s more comfortable playing either side than Ruh, I think he stays up.

I seriously doubt Riikola would get claimed off waivers, but the comfort on either side is an advantage for him. I just don't think that overrides Ruhwedel being more of a veteran and being a little cheaper.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Send JJ down for the year and then trade him at 50% for another team to buyout. He is what he is. Hes not going to play any btter.

We all know this is what should happen ASAP, but there are humans with egos and families and old fart GMs involved so we'll just have to wait.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Traded or Waived: JJ and ZAR

Jake-Sid-Tanev
Chucky-G-Rust
McCann-Bjugs-Horny
Simon-Blueger-Kahun

Dumo-Letang
MP-Schultz
Riiko-Guds
Ruh

MM
CDS
Jarry

22-Man roster
$1,068,375M in space

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I seriously doubt Riikola would get claimed off waivers, but the comfort on either side is an advantage for him. I just don't think that overrides Ruhwedel being more of a veteran and being a little cheaper.
I just think it’s more likely. Like Ruh has a 10% chance of getting claimed and Riikola 25%. Riikola is still kind of a borderline prospect, some team might still see upside there. Ruhwedel’s a journeyman that’s cleared waivers before.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I just watched some of the game highlights. Tanev's pass on the Dumo goal was nice!

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
In the ordinary run of things no, but getting under the cap makes it a bit more likely.

Don't get me wrong, Jarry's been good, just probably not quite good enough to displace someone. And if he does, I think it'll be as much about whether he's showing good habits and maturity around camp as anything. Everyone who cares to know knows that Jarry's got a lot of talent and can be as good as DeSmith right now - the question is whether can keep his focus and do that in the uneven rhythm of a back-up.

edit: Also, in a super deflated market for goaltenders, maybe DeSmith might be a little more likely to get a trade return if they want to avoid waivers/conversely a few NHL games might boost Jarry's value if they get DeSmith past waivers but see that as a short term thing. Minor consideration but it's there.

And if we’re really breaking it down into the nitty gritty details. They can get under the cap with DeSmith, Riikola as the 7D and the forwards intact. It’s just really damn tight, Jarry is 575k cheaper and if DeSmith is in WBS it’s still an extra 400k. Since JJ is the chosen one and he can’t be waived, it’s a place to get cap space for some wiggle room.

If you go with Riikola as the 7D, he’s 150k more expensive than Ruhwedel/Czuczman/Trotman/Warsofsky. If they want Marino for a call up, he’s 925k compared to the 700k club. If they have ZAR as 1M 13F and Lafferty at $767,500 as a first call up compared to the 700k WBS forwards and Haggerty’s 675k. If they want to give Legare some games, he’s carrying $809,167 and the Pens don’t have a waiver exempt forward they can send down during that. Shit adds up and it’s not a durable team.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I <heart emoji> Teddy, Lafferty, and Marino.

Rust looks like the old Rusty. This is why I was adamant that we shouldn't trade him for cap just yet.

Uncle Riiko looks like the 6D to me.

Since the 2nd period of the first pre-season game Rusty looks like he's been shot out of a cannon. He was one of the best players on the ice today for either team

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
3 things massively standout this preseason.

1) The much needed ASAP defensive depth: Marino/Riikola/Ruh fighting for a 7 spot is tremendous. That came out of nowhere. And it was needed. Marino has been the absolute bright spot of camp.

2) The unknown offensive depth that looks ready: Before we solely focused on ZAR/Simon, but then guys Laff and others. Even DiPauli has shown a nice jump. Aggo looked solid. I am very surprised with some unknowns who are just waiting for an injury to step on up.

3) The future: POJ, Legare, Poulin, Addison, etc. The future actually looks bright. Hopefully these guys pan out. They look legit.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just playin' around with CF easiest route to relieving cap while keeping the choosen ones up(JJ/ZAR) is trading or waiving CDS.
That would be a 23-Man roster that JUST fits under the cap($68,375 in space).

Then if they:
Waive Riiko = 22-Man roster($918,375 in space)
OR
Waive Ruhwedel = 22-Man roster($768,375 in space)

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
Since the 2nd period of the first pre-season game Rusty looks like he's been shot out of a cannon. He was one of the best players on the ice today for either team
Yup. I was hoping that the influx of new guys would light a fire, and they seem excited and hungry. We have a legit competition for ice now too.

It's still early but I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes. I'll be shocked if this team isn't a nightmare to play against.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
If they wanna max out cap space on a 22-Man roster with CDS + JJ + ZAR up, yea, Riiko would be the one sent down and Jarrs is traded or snuck thru waivers.

That would = $518,375 in space. The most they can get basically with those 3 mentioned above still up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->