GDT: Preseason Game 4: Pens vs. Red Wings @ 5:00pm EST (NHL Network) 9/22/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Marino has been so so so good.

You can honestly make a highlight reel from the rookie tourney thru these 4 PS games and it would be around 8 minutes long.
Just the way he reads and supports and willing to push the pace forward immediately.
The way he's playing right now is everything you'd want in Justin Schultz and more.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He was supposed to do a lot of things going by JR and the pet media. First pass, take minutes off Letang, clear the crease, be physical, PP, puck moving, PK, rediscover his offensive game, etc.

Now it’s pivoted to defensive guy on the bottom pairing, which he’s also ****ing awful at.

Yeah, remember he was in the top percentile for zone exits!

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He was supposed to do a lot of things going by JR and the pet media. First pass, take minutes off Letang, clear the crease, be physical, PP, puck moving, PK, rediscover his offensive game, etc.

Now it’s pivoted to defensive guy on the bottom pairing, which he’s also ****ing awful at.

What's weird is that if you watch him in the defensive zone, he's either just standing in front of the net doing nothing or skating behind players and hitting them after they've moved the puck. He somehow looks even slower this year.

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
POJ has some real upside, I love how he skates. Almari and Addison are two guys I look forward to watching develop as I see some potential in their game. John Marino is ready to start for this team right now.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You’re right. Feisty play we needed all last year.

If ZAR made that play people would be burying him.

I am the one defending Tanev on the play and I would not rip on ZAR for failing to block a shot from a guy who somebody else should be covering resulting in a bad rebound right to another guy who is not being covered.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
You can honestly make a highlight reel from the rookie tourney thru these 4 PS games and it would be around 8 minutes long.
Just the way he reads and supports and willing to push the pace forward immediately.
The way he's playing right now is everything you'd want in Justin Schultz and more.

I keep reminding myself that this is preseason. We've seen preseason heroes before. BUT I absolutely love what I see form him.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
What's weird is that if you watch him in the defensive zone, he's either just standing in front of the net doing nothing or skating behind players and hitting them after they've moved the puck. He somehow looks even slower this year.

He looks really slow racing back to get pucks and a few times he's just standing around doing nothing. He looks totally lost

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not lying. Marino transitions the puck better than JS cuz he's a better skater right now.

I wouldn’t say “lying” is the word I would use for that statement.

He has looked good against the Wings, Sabres and CBJ’s B squads. That isn’t exactly akin to winning a cup as the number one offensive option for the Pens.

This is Riikola all over again. And there is no spot for Marino on the roster.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I guessing there will be some cuts after this one. Next game isn't until Wed and I imagine they'll want to get these guys into WBS camp for Vellucci, which I think starts Tuesday. Probably return the juniors guys too.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not how a box works. But K.

Tanev over committed twice and lost Mantha who had a clear shot.

This is going to be a long season if you’re going to isolate Tanev on things you interpret as mistakes such as not blocking/preventing a preseason high-circle shot which leads to a goal two or three events later.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
This is going to be a long season if you’re going to isolate Tanev on things you interpret as mistakes such as not blocking/preventing a preseason high-circle shot which leads to a goal two or three events later.

I mean, it was in response to somehow blaming Jarry. I don’t think Tanev should sweat it and I’m not saying it was a irrevocable sin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Yea, I don’t think anyone should sweat it, but that’s why the preseason isn’t for me evidently :laugh:

I think you are misconstruing my anger at JR for signing Tanev versus Tanev as a player. I think he’ll be a great support player for Teddy’s first season if we use him rather exclusively on L4.

I also don’t dislike Tanev, but people saying he was better than Rust or we should cap dump Rust before seeing him play an NHL game for us is also a little weird for me and seems like over exaggerating. Kind of like Marino being what we want Schultz to be. LOL

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, what Tanev just did there is what he's going to provide non-stop. Just chased down a defenseman, hit him off the puck and caused an offensive chance for. I think you should play him with some offensive talent to get use out of the chances Tanev will generate from his speed. Even if it's not a top-6 line, I think he should be at least on the 3rd line.

Reactions: AlphaMikeFoxtrots

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

There have been times where I thought his skating looked a little faster. His processing speed and decision making are worse than ever and he’s looking abysmal handling the puck.

At least he hasn’t pushed anyone on a goalie yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad