GDT: preseason game 1 at buffalo

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
If Buffalo had their full strength defense, they would have won this game.

giphy.gif

Bridgeburner96

Jan 20, 2015
In case you guys missed it: Forslund said on the Aftermath that Francis had Necas at number 4 on our team's draft board (and other teams had him higher as well).

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
Ryan is on pace for 14 goals and 7 assists in the preason, 164 goals and 82 assists in the regular season, if he can........

.......sustain

it

Troll-Face.jpg

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Hard to tell but for 1.4 mil he can continue his sucky unsustainable 11/29 in 67 from last season as far as I'm concerned. What the **** ever. It not's like we have goal scorers coming out of the wood work here.

so upset you are. a joke it was.

also: maybe he was just waiting for ol' number 7 to show his true game.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
so upset you are. a joke it was.

also: maybe he was just waiting for ol' number 7 to show his true game.

ha, I'm not upset. Just looking out for my Boy D Ryan.

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Derek in any way. Just like his story, and his try hard and think he deserves a little less criticism.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Ryan does fairly well on the PP where he has more time and space to make plays. I haven't seen him be fast enough or strong enough to create space 5v5, unless he's with a much better talent (like Skinner). IIRC, His 5v5 scoring last year (as well as possession numbers) were much worse away from Skinner. Granted, it's hard to tell how much of that is Ryan riding Skinner's coat tails vs. any average-below average player will perform worse when put on a line with lesser players, but still.

He's a smart, responsible player though and I'm sure a coaches dream. At this point in time, I think the Canes are waiting (hoping) for someone else to eventually grab a center spot down the road which would make him expendable; whether that's Necas, Roy, Aho shifting to center or something else.

Every team has a Ryan (or two) type player on their team. Problem with the Canes in the past is that we've had a roster full of Ryan type players which makes us a bit more jaded on guys like him. Guys that are marginal NHL players playing key roles on the Canes, only to be out of the NHL when they leave Carolina. The Canes roster doesn't have a lot of those now, but we still don't have the elite talent at forward to compensate, like the really good teams do.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
My issue with Ryan is that due to his age he's unlikely to progress any further- and that's not his fault. He's younger than me and it's very surreal to think that way, but that's just nature. I don't want the team to bank on him being any more than he is now or penciling him into long term plans as a key piece. He seems like a good guy and I wish him nothing but success especially as it relates to Hurricanes success. I'm just wary of it not happening

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Ryan is a good compliment to Skinner. Skinner likes to drive the play and create offensive chances through sheer skating and willpower. He draws opponents which opens Ryan up take advantage of his above-average offensive instincts, get in the right spots, and finish plays.

Those two will do some damage next year on the 3rd line playing weaker competition. Add a physical element with a guy like Jooris to grind opponents down and it could be even more effective.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Ryan is a good compliment to Skinner. Skinner likes to drive the play and create offensive chances through sheer skating and willpower. He draws opponents which opens Ryan up take advantage of his above-average offensive instincts, get in the right spots, and finish plays.

Those two will do some damage next year on the 3rd line playing weaker competition. Add a physical element with a guy like Jooris to grind opponents down and it could be even more effective.

This could be either kinda right, or way way waaaaay wrong.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I don't want the team to bank on him being any more than he is now or penciling him into long term plans as a key piece.

I'm sure they don't have plans to keep Ryan around long term. That's why he was signed to a 1 year contact. He's serving a need in our lineup until the talent level increases enough that he's no longer necessary. I'm hoping we get a legit #1C at some point and don't have to carry guys like Ryan, but in the mean time I think he's doing well for a guy that took years to make it to the NHL. At 1.4 mil I don't expect 20 goals or 40 points from him, but he sure as hell has the potential.

JCLA

Feb 23, 2017
Ryan's one of those guys wayyyy too good for the AHL but he just doesn't seem to have it for the NHL and I think that shows when he's playing against mostly AHL'ers and prospects.

Luckily for us, we have Skinner to line up next to him to mask some of his weaknesses so that we can give Necas another year in the Czech.

Last edited:

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
My issue with Ryan is that due to his age he's unlikely to progress any further- and that's not his fault. He's younger than me and it's very surreal to think that way, but that's just nature. I don't want the team to bank on him being any more than he is now or penciling him into long term plans as a key piece. He seems like a good guy and I wish him nothing but success especially as it relates to Hurricanes success. I'm just wary of it not happening

This is most likely true. Then again, he was a rookie last year. It's not impossible having a year in the NHL under his belt will help his play.

But in the end, if he just does what he did last year, that's great, given that he should be #9 in production from the forwards. Other teams aren't getting a 30+ point pace from their #9 forward. That's this teams path to success. Above average production from forwards #5-#10.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
Ryan single-handedly won an exhibition game for the Canes.

Eat crow, sunshines.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Ryan is actually a good linemate for Skinner, but not because Skinner drives play and any tool can play with him. Being a small player who uses his skill, he's actually the purest passer/playmaker of the centers. Also possibly the most consistent in that category. Rask is the only competition and he's struggles with his confidence and his role. Ryan knows his....feed Skinner the puck. He knows he's a role player and his best skill is holding possession a second longer for Skinner to get open so he can feed him. He doesn't mind being a subservient player, a guy who's role is to support another player for the overall success. He's really the best guy for that job until Rask gets his game back a bit. When it comes to passing, Ryan may have an edge on Rask to be honest. Rask can drive the net in ways Ryan never will, and is a better all around player but Ryan has skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad