GDT: preseason game 1 at buffalo

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
A training camp article mentioned that things were so competitive that guys are also fighting for Charlotte versus Florida this year more than ever. Could just be an indirect way to guage where Wesley is at in that fight prior to sending him down.

Perhaps he's just been a good soldier in camp in some way and they're throwing him a bone in the most meaningless of preseason games.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Wait a minute.....Hofmann?

When did this happen?

Chip touched on it yesterday.

Remember Gregory Hofmann? The Swiss forward was drafted by Carolina in 2011, but with only a couple of exceptions – Canes prospects camp in 2011 and 2015 – has stayed in Switzerland the past six years.

But Hofmann, 24, is back, invited to training camp. He doesn’t have a contract with the Carolina organization and is missing the start of the Swiss season with his team, HC Lugano. He also may soon have a decision to make.

If Hofmann doesn’t make the Canes roster, the organization may want to sign him and assign him to the AHL’s Charlotte Checkers. Then again, he has a contract with HC Lugano.

“I want to show them I can play with this team and that I’m ready,†Hofmann said Sunday. “I think I’m a totally different player than I was three or four years ago. I’m stronger. My shot is stronger. I think I’m ready to jump and take th next step.â€

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
So what's the hubbub about Hofmann? Feeling like this is the first I've seen his name anywhere.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
So what's the hubbub about Hofmann? Feeling like this is the first I've seen his name anywhere.

There are a couple of "noteworthy" things about Hofmann. A number of years ago, there was a debate about Hofmann vs. Jerome Samson and who was the better prospect during one of the board's prospect rankings. Nothing overly outrageous, but typical off season stuff that probably got more air time than it deserved.

The bigger thing though, is that Hofmann was a fast skater who seemed to have a jump in development a year or two after we drafted him, but IIRC, there were rumblings that he didn't want to sign with Carolina and his agent said he would re-enter the draft a la Frederick Andersen. But he was unable to do that. Initially, we had heard it was because his agent didn't get paperwork submitted in time, but it was later reported it was because there was no transfer agreement between the NHL and Swiss league which prevented him from re-entering the draft. So basically for 4-5 years, it was pretty much assumed there was no more relationship between Hofmann and the Canes, yet now he shows up for camp, even without a contract.

EDIT: Here are some articles on it.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/rutherford-statement-on-gregory-hofmann/c-672762

http://gocheckers.com/articles/11-hofmann-to-re-enter-draft-updated

UPDATE: According to the Hurricanes, because Switzerland did not sign the NHL transfer agreement, Hofmann was unable to re-enter the draft and remains property of Carolina. He will stay on the organization's reserve list indefinitely, and Carolina will again attempt to sign him next summer. Despite the change in his status, Hofmann is not expected to play in the AHL during the coming season.

The development is similar to what the organization experienced with goaltender Frederik Anderson one year ago. Andersen, the Hurricanes’ seventh-round choice in 2010, joined the Anaheim Ducks as a third-round pick and spent last season with the Norfolk Admirals. The players share an agent.

Last edited:

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
I think everybody had just about written Hofmann off as ever being part of the organization at least 2 or 3 ago and suddenly he just pops up.

Reminds me of the time I lost my favorite pair of glasses and I looked everywhere, couldn't find them anywhere for a few weeks. I gave up any hope of ever finding them. Then about a year later I borrowed my mom's car and it dawned on me, holy ****, I remember putting my glasses in the center console forever ago, and I open it and there they are. Hello old friend. Gregory Hofman is my old glasses that I liked so much.

Of course after I found them and wore them for a little bit I realized I had gotten used to my new frames and how they gripped the side of my head nice and tight so that they never fell off. So if Hofmann isn't that good, it's OK. He's bonus glasses anyway.

Metaphors, son

SaskCanesFan

Feb 27, 2015
I'm still amazed that in 2017 when everyone is walking around with HD cameras in their pockets, that there wasn't a way for 2 NHL franchises to get a stream of the game set up somehow. I know it's early preseason, but still. How expensive can it be to give an intern a camera and put it on your website?

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
I'm still amazed that in 2017 when everyone is walking around with HD cameras in their pockets, that there wasn't a way for 2 NHL franchises to get a stream of the game set up somehow. I know it's early preseason, but still. How expensive can it be to give an intern a camera and put it on your website?

I'm thinking the NHL cares more about the overall quality of their product vs. 1 preseason game. They probably don't want to ever see a preseason game televised in a amateurish manner. Just my guess.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Boy, the stream is way behind the updates I get from the NHL app...by more than a minute.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
So if Ryan happens to lose his spot on the roster who is gonna play scapegoat for the Canes this year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad