Post-Game Talk: Preseason G3 - BRUINS at Chicago - The kids played well in an OT loss

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Keyser is our 1A goaltending prospect and he has stamped that so far this summer.

However,

Management does not want two kids in Providence in net. So they brought in Lagacy as a vet to steady the ship and tutor.
Vladar has paid his dues in Atlanta and has waited for this. He will get the nod for Providence even though he has looked shaky so far this summer.

Keyser is fresh out of college and is confident and solid. To keep that going he needs to see rubber and will get it in Atlanta. The real problem is he may be too good for the ECHL.
He may start down there but may play himself into Providence by the end of the season.

I wonder if they could do something like St. Louis did with Binnington, when they loaned him to Providence in 2017-18. Maybe loan Vladar out? I'm not giving up on Vladar, as I still think he can be an NHL goalie, but both he and Keyser need reps, and I'd like Keyser to be able to face tougher competition. I think they want the veteran presence of Lagace in Providence, and loaning Vladar allows you to keep Keyser in Providence.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Keyser playing the way he did up till now...if he maintains that level up to the latest games in training camp. He'll force his way to Providence.
In this case it's not about seniority or who paid his dues.
It's about who's best for that position/job.
We have 'a new kid in town'. Great expectations, everybody's watching you.

I'll agree that's how it should work but I don't think that's how it will work. If he preforms well and Vladar doesn't then I could see a swap later in the season but I think he's going to the ECHL.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I'll agree that's how it should work but I don't think that's how it will work. If he preforms well and Vladar doesn't then I could see a swap later in the season but I think he's going to the ECHL.
Hopefully Keyser will be the exception to the rule.

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
I was pleasantly surprised on how well the all those kids stood up to the Blackhawks, I was proud of all of them. When it went to overtime, I knew that if they didn't take care of the puck, that it would hurt them, and it did, but I was still proud of them.
It would have been great for them to win, but they really turned things around in the second and the third, their announcers were saying that the Bruins were taking the game to them, it was great!
The Bruins coaching staff, have some very tough decisions took make, but it's a good thing, they have some kids that can step in when the time calls for it!. I like it!

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I wonder if they could do something like St. Louis did with Binnington, when they loaned him to Providence in 2017-18. Maybe loan Vladar out? I'm not giving up on Vladar, as I still think he can be an NHL goalie, but both he and Keyser need reps, and I'd like Keyser to be able to face tougher competition. I think they want the veteran presence of Lagace in Providence, and loaning Vladar allows you to keep Keyser in Providence.
I'm all for giving Keyser the horse and let him ride it.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I was pleasantly surprised on how well the all those kids stood up to the Blackhawks, I was proud of all of them. When it went to overtime, I knew that if they didn't take care of the puck, that it would hurt them, and it did, but I was still proud of them.
It would have been great for them to win, but they really turned things around in the second and the third, their announcers were saying that the Bruins were taking the game to them, it was great!
The Bruins coaching staff, have some very tough decisions took make, but it's a good thing, they have some kids that can step in when the time calls for it!. I like it!

Welcome to the board! :welcome:

bruinsfan1968

May 6, 2019
Welcome to the board! :welcome:
Thank you, BMC, I appreciate that! I have been a fan of this team since I was 8 yrs old, so been a long time fan, I have been to the old Boston Garden, but haven't been to TD Garden, yet, since I moved out West to work in the Movie/TV biz.
Well, I don't want to de-rail the thread, so back to the topic of last night's game. :)

mar2kbos

Sep 28, 2017
So far I see Steen outplaying, Backes, Ritchie, Kuhlman and whoever else wants a top 9 spot. Guy is out to grab it by the throat, I like that mojo.
Not seeing much from Ritchie at all, even for a fourth liner. Gaunce has looked better. Backes looks like Backes. Tries hard, but just a day late dollar short on most plays. Kuhlman will be an excellent third/fourth liner. I just don’t think he has the offensive ability to be a consistent second liner. Could be wrong there but right now not seeing it

Reactions: missingchicklet

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Keyser is our 1A goaltending prospect and he has stamped that so far this summer.

However,

Management does not want two kids in Providence in net. So they brought in Lagacy as a vet to steady the ship and tutor.
Vladar has paid his dues in Atlanta and has waited for this. He will get the nod for Providence even though he has looked shaky so far this summer.

Keyser is fresh out of college and is confident and solid. To keep that going he needs to see rubber and will get it in Atlanta. The real problem is he may be too good for the ECHL.
He may start down there but may play himself into Providence by the end of the season.
He was in the OHL, not college, with Oshawa Generals. The limited exposure I have had, he is our best goaltending prospect. I’m not sure it’s about dues. To me it’s about what is best for his development. If he is capable of starting 40+ in providence, then that’s where he should be.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Thank you, BMC, I appreciate that! I have been a fan of this team since I was 8 yrs old, so been a long time fan, I have been to the old Boston Garden, but haven't been to TD Garden, yet, since I moved out West to work in the Movie/TV biz.
Well, I don't want to de-rail the thread, so back to the topic of last night's game. :)
please derail by name dropping the stars you have met over the years or.......are you a star that we need to know is now a member of Hf?:naughty:

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Zboril led the team in TOI with 24:02. Seems like Cassidy wanted a long look at how he would handle himself against NHLers. I don't know if I would give him a passing grade though. He impressed me with his passing but I just don't think Bruce can trust him in the defensive zone...way too lackadaisical and soft in his coverage, not to mention the seemingly guaranteed minor penalty every game. He was destined for Providence regardless but, at the risk of reading too much into two preseason games, he still isn't ready for a full-time gig in my opinion.

Wow big big minutes. Perhaps some scouts scouting Zboril...the end is near for his tenure in the Bs organization. He's going to be playing FT NHL but not on this team.

Reactions: Strafer

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
My thoughts...

Bjork was terrific. He's been the best winger on the ice in every game he's played (including the game with DeBrusk and Heinen). His puck pursuit, the turnovers he forces, the plays he makes. Nice to see him finally healthy and able to show what he's capable of.

Ritchie needed to do more. I was hoping he had some untapped offense but two games now I haven't seen it. He's not awful, he's good on the walls and he can skate for a big man but he doesn't look better than Wagner.

Cehlarik was very good. Created a lot of chances. He's especially good in the offensive zone jumping on pucks and setting guys up.

Nice to see Lindholm score... but he's still leaves me wanting, and wondering why 2 years.

Carey looks like your classic 4A player. Just a touch off for the bigs.

Fitzgerald has some nice hands but lacks impact 5on5.

Gaunce has a great work ethic. Size, tenacity, skating... He could play in the NHL. There's no room, but he could play.

Shen impressed me. He had good pace and made some clever passes. He was willing to go to the dirty areas and wasn't intimidated.

Steen continues to stand out. Makes plays, he's good with the puck on his stick, good skater, good awareness, good passer, good shot... not A+ at any of those skills but really solid. I think you could make the case he's outplayed Kuhlman so far, but I don't think it will matter.

Frederic looks really sold too. He's strong on the boards, skates well and can carry the puck through the neutral zone. He's still not quite making plays at NHL speed he looked better than Studnicka to my eyes.

Kuhlman gives you that A+ effort every time. I wish he had more to show for it though, two games in the books for him and it's hard to remember a good offensive play he made or was part of.

Lauko has pro speed and is another one who plays a tenacious game which is nice to see. He can certainly play in the AHL right now based on those two attributes but given his lack of production in the Q last year I wonder if another year there would be better for his offensive development.

Zboril is maddening. Can look so good and has all the skills but he makes such weird decisions. Throwing it away when he's not being rushed, carrying when he has guys open to pass to... how do you fix decision making?

Keyser is a stud. S.T.U.D. Stud. He's the future in net and I don't see how they can't start him in Providence. He's just been too good.

Good to hear Celly continuing his strong play. Curious to see if they move him up or lining him up for bottom forward position.

Thinking Bjork needs to pop a few...needs that one to continue with his strong play/confidence builder.

Need to see Senny in the line-up. How much longer will he be out? Gotta believe he's frustrated as hell.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Re-watched some of last night's game. Agree with virtually everyone else -- Keyser has the makings of a very good NHL goalie. Obviously this has been a limited preseason look, and has not been game after game against the NHL's best, but for a kid he has been composed and has excellent instincts. He could very well become a stud if he keeps on developing well. It would be a real blessing if he is ready by the time Rask's time in Boston is done.

The Bs are going to be deep in the bottom 6 in the foreseeable future. The likes of Steen, Gaunce, and Lindholm all look like they could end up helping the Bs out if their name gets called during the next couple years, maybe sooner rather than later.

I'm still convinced Kuhlman needs to be in the bottom 6. Nothing against him whatsoever, as he is an excellent hockey player, but I still am not seeing him in a top 6 role. Would love to see him cement a spot in the bottom 6. He has some pretty good talent nipping at his heels, so he better rise to the occasion. Still want to see Cehlarik on the second line for a good stretch. If not, then the Bs need to trade him. He has good NHL skill and shouldn't be wasting away primarily in the AHL. Bjork's performance in the early season may have a lot of impact on both Kuhlman and Cehlarik's roles, depending on where Bruce ends up putting Bjork. Bjork surely will be on the opening night roster. I freaking hate that he has has such bad luck with injuries. Really like his game.

Zboril needs to be packaged in a trade at some point. Sure, he has some good skill, but man does he look lost on D at times. The Bs have too much depth at D to keep Zboril around. My guess is that he will end up being an NHLer, but he's simply not looking like he is a better choice than any number of guys on the team and in the organization.

So far, unless a lot changes, Bruce is going to have some tough decisions to make. Whoever starts the season with the Bs better produce because Cassidy has quite a few options to replace anyone who is playing mediocre or poor hockey.

Reactions: Strafer

jangerhofer

Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire

However,

I agree with most everything you stated, but just wanted to nitpick one point: Keyser is fresh out of juniors in Oshawa where he was teammates with Studnicka, rather than college. For some reason, I always cross Keyser with Swayman; the latter is at UMaine now. I continue to make a similar mistake until I remember this!

Anyway, couldn’t agree more that management has a problem of a pretty good kind on their hands when it comes to goaltending.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
I agree with most everything you stated, but just wanted to nitpick one point: Keyser is fresh out of juniors in Oshawa where he was teammates with Studnicka, rather than college. For some reason, I always cross Keyser with Swayman; the latter is at UMaine now. I continue to make a similar mistake until I remember this!

Anyway, couldn’t agree more that management has a problem of a pretty good kind on their hands when it comes to goaltending.

Yeah, confused him with Swayman -_-

Hear he is doing great in UMaine, so theres that also.

Reactions: jangerhofer

Blowfish

Count down ...
Jan 13, 2005
Southwestern Ontario
Re-watched some of last night's game.

So far, unless a lot changes, Bruce is going to have some tough decisions to make. Whoever starts the season with the Bs better produce because Cassidy has quite a few options to replace anyone who is playing mediocre or poor hockey.

There's so much that goes into the player management. Yes Bruce will have a say however I'm pretty sure Don is making the bigger decisions and final player roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
I wouldn't send Lauko back to the Q. He was the top scorer in the entire Memorial Cup, which his team won. It would be kind of a letdown for him to return to that league. He's clearly more than proven himself at that level. Let him develop his game in the AHL.
Yes. I really liked his game last night. Kid has a motor. Great skill only 19. He is a player

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016
Keyser playing the way he did up till now...if he maintains that level up to the latest games in training camp. He'll force his way to Providence.
In this case it's not about seniority or who paid his dues.
It's about who's best for that position/job.
We have 'a new kid in town'. Great expectations, everybody's watching you.
Has the potential to take Halak’s spot next year. A difference of 2 mil on the cap

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00