Post-Game Talk: Preseason G3 - BRUINS at Chicago - The kids played well in an OT loss

Alan Ryan

Jun 1, 2006
Pretty amazing performance by that Boston line-up against top talent for Chicago. The Bruins depth was on display.

I can understand the Lagace hire as the workhorse for Providence this season, but he isn't especially good and will likely limit their season.

It's a bit radical but I think that Providence would be better with Keyser as the #1 goalie. Put him on the fast track and see if he is capable of replacing Rask when his contract expires in two years.

whitetape

Jun 3, 2006
I wouldn't send Lauko back to the Q. He was the top scorer in the entire Memorial Cup, which his team won. It would be kind of a letdown for him to return to that league. He's clearly more than proven himself at that level. Let him develop his game in the AHL.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Pretty amazing performance by that Boston line-up against top talent for Chicago. The Bruins depth was on display.

I can understand the Lagace hire as the workhorse for Providence this season, but he isn't especially good and will likely limit their season.

It's a bit radical but I think that Providence would be better with Keyser as the #1 goalie. Put him on the fast track and see if he is capable of replacing Rask when his contract expires in two years.

Maybe it's just my ignorance but Keyser's been the revelation of the pre-season for me. Guys like Bjork and maybe Steen are going to have a greater impact in the short-term, but as a player who looks like a genuine NHL-quality prospect goalie and a first firm indication of the B's possible netminding future post Rask Keyser is exciting.

I'm not sure if Providence is the place for him just yet. There's no immediate rush as I reckon we can get another 2 years out of the excellent Rask-Halak combination, so maybe a year as a key guy in Atlanta or somewhere similar will give Keyser really good quality experience before moving to Providence in 2020-21. If he's still tracking well that will hopefully put him in the frame to join the big boys at just the right time.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
Have to disagree with that one. I think it’s exciting personally — the slow, deliberate chess match is outweighed by the excitement of plays to the net. I also think it’s a great way to market the sport to first time viewers; it’s like condensed hockey that’s pretty easy to follow (no dump & change, no net-front scrums to lose the puck in, etc.)

I strongly believe 3v3 has its place in the “preseason” (i.e. not the playoffs)!

Hard to argue with but I'd like him to go to Providence and get used to NA ice size a little bit more. There will be a time to bring him up and if he can keep up the pace, it'll be soon. He has impressed.

I see some Mats Nasland in Steen.

Kuhlman andS teen appear somewhat similar though Steen appears to have better puck skills and Kuhlman a bit more speed.

Wouldn't mind placing Steen with Bergeron and Marchand for a game.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Zboril led the team in TOI with 24:02. Seems like Cassidy wanted a long look at how he would handle himself against NHLers. I don't know if I would give him a passing grade though. He impressed me with his passing but I just don't think Bruce can trust him in the defensive zone...way too lackadaisical and soft in his coverage, not to mention the seemingly guaranteed minor penalty every game. He was destined for Providence regardless but, at the risk of reading too much into two preseason games, he still isn't ready for a full-time gig in my opinion.

Agree, a player has to force his way onto the roster. Especially on a team as deep as the Bruins are at that position. Zboril , while not putrid, hasn't done that yet.

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Keyser is our 1A goaltending prospect and he has stamped that so far this summer.

However,

Management does not want two kids in Providence in net. So they brought in Lagacy as a vet to steady the ship and tutor.
Vladar has paid his dues in Atlanta and has waited for this. He will get the nod for Providence even though he has looked shaky so far this summer.

Keyser is fresh out of college and is confident and solid. To keep that going he needs to see rubber and will get it in Atlanta. The real problem is he may be too good for the ECHL.
He may start down there but may play himself into Providence by the end of the season.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
He’s always looked good just can’t escape injuries.
Eh, he played really well for the first 10 games or so last season, but was completely snakebit. When he started feeling that pressure to produce, he really played like an idiot until they demoted him. As someone who really likes the player, that was very discouraging to see.

Reactions: HustleB

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Keyser is our 1A goaltending prospect and he has stamped that so far this summer.

However,

Management does not want two kids in Providence in net. So they brought in Lagacy as a vet to steady the ship and tutor.
Vladar has paid his dues in Atlanta and has waited for this. He will get the nod for Providence even though he has looked shaky so far this summer.

Keyser is fresh out of college and is confident and solid. To keep that going he needs to see rubber and will get it in Atlanta. The real problem is he may be too good for the ECHL.
He may start down there but may play himself into Providence by the end of the season.
They both need to play ,they should rotate them up and down for 2 weeks at a time to keep the heat on Lagace to preform

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019

However,

Keyser came out of Jr.

Reactions: Estlin and bbfan419

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
game was on ESPN plus which was awesome. I wouldn't give up on Zboril yet. I would pk1 and pp1 him in Providence for awhile, along w 1st pair D. Really test him, challenge him he's got the tools.

Steen is fun to watch, chippy and has easily passed guys like Senysyhyn in the pecking order for call ups IMO.

Saw Keyser live vs the Devils and he's just so economical in his movements, so technically sound. I would be shocked if he wasn't the future of B's goaltending.

I thought the whole team played well....they remind me of the mid 90's Devils where the farm team and pro team were all on the same page and looked identical, with plug and play call ups available. The Langenbrunner/Pandolfo fingerprints are all over their forechecking game, and they all get back when the puck goes the other way. There is a lot to like about this organization

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Just watched the replay:

Gryz struggled bigtime. Hope it's just rust. He was better towards the end.
Kuhlman didn't have a great game. That PK at the start was a mess. He has a great shot though, almost scored twice.
Steen: Really impressed with his ability to win battles and protect the puck down low. Promising future. Great setup to Lindholm.
Bjork: Had some great moments and showed his speed on the backcheck on Kane. Hands and decision making aren't quite sharp though.
Carey: I like this guy. He had a really good game in his first one up last year. I couldn't find a single bad play he made the whole game. Does a great job of managing the puck.
Gaunce: Didn't have a great game after two really good ones earlier. Blew a clear on the PK. Should have tuned up Toews.
Carlo: I love this guy. So smooth. Passes well. Fumbled a couple pucks because he has stone hands but he's still a beauty.
McAvoy: Looks real good. Would have liked to see a bit more intensity but it's pre-season.
Zboril: Took himself out of a play on a hit. Didn't notice him much otherwise.
Sherman: Better than the last time I saw him but got beaten on the give-and-go for the Saad goal and dangled another time.
Frederic: Made a couple decent plays but not much sizzle.
Ritchie: He's strong on the puck.
Lindholm: Good finish but a few plays died on his stick. Pretty far down on my depth chart.
Fitzgerald: Great finish on the penalty shot but had some weak plays otherwise.
Lauko: Had a few great flashes.

KillerMillerTime

Jun 30, 2019
My thoughts...

Bjork was terrific. He's been the best winger on the ice in every game he's played (including the game with DeBrusk and Heinen). His puck pursuit, the turnovers he forces, the plays he makes. Nice to see him finally healthy and able to show what he's capable of.

Ritchie needed to do more. I was hoping he had some untapped offense but two games now I haven't seen it. He's not awful, he's good on the walls and he can skate for a big man but he doesn't look better than Wagner.

Cehlarik was very good. Created a lot of chances. He's especially good in the offensive zone jumping on pucks and setting guys up.

Nice to see Lindholm score... but he's still leaves me wanting, and wondering why 2 years.

Carey looks like your classic 4A player. Just a touch off for the bigs.

Fitzgerald has some nice hands but lacks impact 5on5.

Gaunce has a great work ethic. Size, tenacity, skating... He could play in the NHL. There's no room, but he could play.

Shen impressed me. He had good pace and made some clever passes. He was willing to go to the dirty areas and wasn't intimidated.

Steen continues to stand out. Makes plays, he's good with the puck on his stick, good skater, good awareness, good passer, good shot... not A+ at any of those skills but really solid. I think you could make the case he's outplayed Kuhlman so far, but I don't think it will matter.

Frederic looks really sold too. He's strong on the boards, skates well and can carry the puck through the neutral zone. He's still not quite making plays at NHL speed he looked better than Studnicka to my eyes.

Kuhlman gives you that A+ effort every time. I wish he had more to show for it though, two games in the books for him and it's hard to remember a good offensive play he made or was part of.

Lauko has pro speed and is another one who plays a tenacious game which is nice to see. He can certainly play in the AHL right now based on those two attributes but given his lack of production in the Q last year I wonder if another year there would be better for his offensive development.

Zboril is maddening. Can look so good and has all the skills but he makes such weird decisions. Throwing it away when he's not being rushed, carrying when he has guys open to pass to... how do you fix decision making?

Keyser is a stud. S.T.U.D. Stud. He's the future in net and I don't see how they can't start him in Providence. He's just been too good.

I have yet to see anything from Frederic but JAG. Looked real bad on Saad's goal. Lost him off boards then worst of all puck watched after. His skating is average at best in
todays NHL.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Zboril is maddening. Can look so good and has all the skills but he makes such weird decisions. Throwing it away when he's not being rushed, carrying when he has guys open to pass to... how do you fix decision making?

Keyser is a stud. S.T.U.D. Stud. He's the future in net and I don't see how they can't start him in Providence. He's just been too good.
He's not alone with that problem. We have a few of them in Providence.

Reactions: PlayMakers

Dueling Banjos

Oct 29, 2014
Our team played a good game.

Bjork looked really good, driving his line, he is quick, thinks the game fast, needs to find back of the net...all in all good.

Steen. I watched about 10 Farjestad SHL games last season, i suspected his style would translate to NA rink size. He doesn't need a lot of space. That pk rush and pass was a typical Steen move, quick first step then full speed down the ice and quick finish.

We got a good one.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

However,

Keyser playing the way he did up till now...if he maintains that level up to the latest games in training camp. He'll force his way to Providence.
In this case it's not about seniority or who paid his dues.
It's about who's best for that position/job.
We have 'a new kid in town'. Great expectations, everybody's watching you.

Reactions: JOKER 192

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I wouldn't send Lauko back to the Q. He was the top scorer in the entire Memorial Cup, which his team won. It would be kind of a letdown for him to return to that league. He's clearly more than proven himself at that level. Let him develop his game in the AHL.
I think it is more about not wanting to burn a year off his ELC , he is eligible for the QMJHL so they may use it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad