Post-Game Talk: Preseason G3 - BRUINS at Chicago - The kids played well in an OT loss

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Overall a solid effort. Assessments:

Bjork: like his game. Should make the team.
Carey: solid player but something missing
Cehlarik: has great moments then disappears
Fitzy: AHL
Frederic: needs seasoning
Gaunce: love him as a bottom 6 guy. Not sure there's a spot for him
Kuhlman: solid overall game. Does nothing bad
Lauko: good flashes. Needs seasoning
Lindholm: meh
Ritchie: meh
Shen: not close
Steen: on the cusp
Sherman: overmatched
Zboril: brain farts

Considering they were playing against Toews, Kane, Keith, Saad, etc...I am willing to give everyone solid marks. The only player who drove me nuts was Zboril. He could be good, but like you said, brain farts.

If Fitzy was a bit quicker and 1” taller, he could be an NHL’r. He has the brain for the game.

jangerhofer

Dec 22, 2018
New Hampshire
3v3 is such a terrible hockey product. Players 'regrouping' over and over at center ice.
Have to disagree with that one. I think it’s exciting personally — the slow, deliberate chess match is outweighed by the excitement of plays to the net. I also think it’s a great way to market the sport to first time viewers; it’s like condensed hockey that’s pretty easy to follow (no dump & change, no net-front scrums to lose the puck in, etc.)

I strongly believe 3v3 has its place in the “preseason” (i.e. not the playoffs)!

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
Zboril led the team in TOI with 24:02. Seems like Cassidy wanted a long look at how he would handle himself against NHLers. I don't know if I would give him a passing grade though. He impressed me with his passing but I just don't think Bruce can trust him in the defensive zone...way too lackadaisical and soft in his coverage, not to mention the seemingly guaranteed minor penalty every game. He was destined for Providence regardless but, at the risk of reading too much into two preseason games, he still isn't ready for a full-time gig in my opinion.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I'd lobby for them to stay together and move Chara down to play with Carlo as a shutdown pair.

Chara-Carlo
Gryz-McAvoy
Krug-Clifton

Thats pretty solid, though I am not sure Cliffy can cover for Krug.
I agree about Gryz and McAvoy staying together but wouldn’t want to break up Krug - Carlo and Chara - Clifton isn’t happening.

pemulis

Sponsor
Jun 15, 2008
postdocing in Sydney
Steen should make the team in my opinion. Not only does he look good, but he produces. He's in the right spot a lot. That isn't even the surprising part for me, which is he is very good along the walls. He's been winning battles. I've been liking Bjork and Kuhlman among others too, but Steen has produced in every game he's been in. Gotta count for something.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Not really- when February rolls around its possible Studnicka or Frederic is playing well enough to be on Boston as a center and Coyle can jump up to play wing with Krejci

based on Coyle style of puck possession and skillset he looks like a natural for that line- long term he's a center. He wore the A the other night and he is cookie cutter exactly what the Sweeney Blue Print wants in their centers.

Most of the Wild fan base told us at the time of the trade that Coyle was a center and the mistake they made was trying to play him on the RW. From what I've seen, I think they were right.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
My thoughts...

Bjork was terrific. He's been the best winger on the ice in every game he's played (including the game with DeBrusk and Heinen). His puck pursuit, the turnovers he forces, the plays he makes. Nice to see him finally healthy and able to show what he's capable of.

Ritchie needed to do more. I was hoping he had some untapped offense but two games now I haven't seen it. He's not awful, he's good on the walls and he can skate for a big man but he doesn't look better than Wagner.

Cehlarik was very good. Created a lot of chances. He's especially good in the offensive zone jumping on pucks and setting guys up.

Nice to see Lindholm score... but he's still leaves me wanting, and wondering why 2 years.

Carey looks like your classic 4A player. Just a touch off for the bigs.

Fitzgerald has some nice hands but lacks impact 5on5.

Gaunce has a great work ethic. Size, tenacity, skating... He could play in the NHL. There's no room, but he could play.

Shen impressed me. He had good pace and made some clever passes. He was willing to go to the dirty areas and wasn't intimidated.

Steen continues to stand out. Makes plays, he's good with the puck on his stick, good skater, good awareness, good passer, good shot... not A+ at any of those skills but really solid. I think you could make the case he's outplayed Kuhlman so far, but I don't think it will matter.

Frederic looks really sold too. He's strong on the boards, skates well and can carry the puck through the neutral zone. He's still not quite making plays at NHL speed he looked better than Studnicka to my eyes.

Kuhlman gives you that A+ effort every time. I wish he had more to show for it though, two games in the books for him and it's hard to remember a good offensive play he made or was part of.

Lauko has pro speed and is another one who plays a tenacious game which is nice to see. He can certainly play in the AHL right now based on those two attributes but given his lack of production in the Q last year I wonder if another year there would be better for his offensive development.

Zboril is maddening. Can look so good and has all the skills but he makes such weird decisions. Throwing it away when he's not being rushed, carrying when he has guys open to pass to... how do you fix decision making?

Keyser is a stud. S.T.U.D. Stud. He's the future in net and I don't see how they can't start him in Providence. He's just been too good.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Steen should make the team in my opinion. Not only does he look good, but he produces. He's in the right spot a lot. That isn't even the surprising part for me, which is he is very good along the walls. He's been winning battles. I've been liking Bjork and Kuhlman among others too, but Steen has produced in every game he's been in. Gotta count for something.

Hard to argue with but I'd like him to go to Providence and get used to NA ice size a little bit more. There will be a time to bring him up and if he can keep up the pace, it'll be soon. He has impressed.

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
He needs to play and see pucks. Does it really matter if it is in Providence or outside Atlanta? What's most important is he is playing a ton

Playing in front of less structure more isn’t necessarily going to make him better. I get playing 15 games in providence isn’t good. But why write him off and say he can’t play 40+ in providence, sure as hell looks like he can so far. Kid looks like a keeper, and I don’t know why you send him down another league if he outplays lagace and vladar. We signed Lagace for providence depth not because he is the future, vladar played 41 games last year.

Reactions: Bun Cook

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
My thoughts...

Bjork was terrific. He's been the best winger on the ice in every game he's played (including the game with DeBrusk and Heinen). His puck pursuit, the turnovers he forces, the plays he makes. Nice to see him finally healthy and able to show what he's capable of.

Ritchie needed to do more. I was hoping he had some untapped offense but two games now I haven't seen it. He's not awful, he's good on the walls and he can skate for a big man but he doesn't look better than Wagner.

Cehlarik was very good. Created a lot of chances. He's especially good in the offensive zone jumping on pucks and setting guys up.

Nice to see Lindholm score... but he's still leaves me wanting, and wondering why 2 years.

Carey looks like your classic 4A player. Just a touch off for the bigs.

Fitzgerald has some nice hands but lacks impact 5on5.

Gaunce has a great work ethic. Size, tenacity, skating... He could play in the NHL. There's no room, but he could play.

Shen impressed me. He had good pace and made some clever passes. He was willing to go to the dirty areas and wasn't intimidated.

Steen continues to stand out. Makes plays, he's good with the puck on his stick, good skater, good awareness, good passer, good shot... not A+ at any of those skills but really solid. I think you could make the case he's outplayed Kuhlman so far, but I don't think it will matter.

Frederic looks really sold too. He's strong on the boards, skates well and can carry the puck through the neutral zone. He's still not quite making plays at NHL speed he looked better than Studnicka to my eyes.

Kuhlman gives you that A+ effort every time. I wish he had more to show for it though, two games in the books for him and it's hard to remember a good offensive play he made or was part of.

Lauko has pro speed and is another one who plays a tenacious game which is nice to see. He can certainly play in the AHL right now based on those two attributes but given his lack of production in the Q last year I wonder if another year there would be better for his offensive development.

Zboril is maddening. Can look so good and has all the skills but he makes such weird decisions. Throwing it away when he's not being rushed, carrying when he has guys open to pass to... how do you fix decision making?

Keyser is a stud. S.T.U.D. Stud. He's the future in net and I don't see how they can't start him in Providence. He's just been too good.
I agree with pretty much everything you said

Lauko may not like it but considering the numbers game and his lack of production the Bruins I’m sure have spect more than a few minutes discussing this and what’s the best course

I like Zboril but I don’t see him becoming Tommy Cross in this organization. If Byfuglyn retires and Winnipeg needs D I’m sending multiple scouts to watch him

This Camp she be titled Numbers Games

Dom will call me and cover all sorts of stiff - like Elliot Freedman 31 thoughts over the phone. Keyser was his binkie BEFORE he was even invited to Bruins camp and eventually signed. He must feel like s proud father. He was on this kid so long I feel like he was playing Pee Wees.

Steen still is going to Providence- new country, different style, different rink size - let’s conquer that level first. And or course

Numbers

Gaunce is of particular interest to me because of how much I liked him coming out many years ago

Very surprised he never carved a long NHL career as a pretty skilled bottom 6 center

I’ll be at the next 3 home games in preseason so will get a birds eye view

Reactions: Chestus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad