Post-Game Talk: Preseason G3 - BRUINS at Chicago - The kids played well in an OT loss

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006

Dom - so what’s your opinion on where he should play? Obviously good for him to get lots of action where ever he is, but it seems a lot of folks are certain he will be in the ECHL. I haven’t watched a lot of ECHL but I would think if he can be the starter/no 1 in the AHL it would make sense for him to be in providence and be better for his development. Outside of having a better system and structure in front of you, I would assume there is a lot more exposure on how to be a professional in the AHL versus ECHL. I’m not into the he paid his dues so he should get providence role
(vladar)or we need a veteran goaltender for providence in lagace. If you get scooped
Because someone better comes along it is what it is. To me it’s about developing your prospects to be ready to be in the NHL, and based on where they are currently in development and where they need to get to in order to be in Boston that will determine where to play. Not a pecking order. At same time I get not placing all your eggs in one basket, But this kid has been unreal. And maybe has a shot at being Rasks backup when Halak contract Expires?

Reactions: jangerhofer

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
Dom - so what’s your opinion on where he should play? Obviously good for him to get lots of action where ever he is, but it seems a lot of folks are certain he will be in the ECHL. I haven’t watched a lot of ECHL but I would think if he can be the starter/no 1 in the AHL it would make sense for him to be in providence and be better for his development. Outside of having a better system and structure in front of you, I would assume there is a lot more exposure on how to be a professional in the AHL versus ECHL. I’m not into the he paid his dues so he should get providence role
(vladar)or we need a veteran goaltender for providence in lagace. If you get scooped
Because someone better comes along it is what it is. To me it’s about developing your prospects to be ready to be in the NHL, and based on where they are currently in development and where they need to get to in order to be in Boston that will determine where to play. Not a pecking order. At same time I get not placing all your eggs in one basket, But this kid has been unreal. And maybe has a shot at being Rasks backup when Halak contract Expires?

I have no problem with Keyser spending a year in the ECHL. The Bruins have two goaltending coaches and he will get plenty of coaching with Atlanta. As @BruinsNetwork has pointed out, he will be behind a bad defence in Atlanta and face a lot of rubber. Is that good for development? I think it is.

Holtby, Halak, Quick, Timmy Thomas, Kolzig, Vokoun, Dubnyk are just some goalies who spent a year in the E who went on to have very good to decent NHL careers. There are others, but those are just off the top of my head.

Look, the Bruins have invested time and money in Daniel Vladar. He becomes an RFA at the end of the season. Maybe Swayman comes out of college at the end of the year, maybe not, but now is the time to see what they have in Vladar and whether to cut bait with him.

In the event of an injury to Halak/Rask, they can still call Keyser up from the ECHL if they so choose.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I have no problem with Keyser spending a year in the ECHL. The Bruins have two goaltending coaches and he will get plenty of coaching with Atlanta. As @BruinsNetwork has pointed out, he will be behind a bad defence in Atlanta and face a lot of rubber. Is that good for development? I think it is.

Holtby, Halak, Quick, Timmy Thomas, Kolzig, Vokoun, Dubnyk are just some goalies who spent a year in the E who went on to have very good to decent NHL careers. There are others, but those are just off the top of my head.

Look, the Bruins have invested time and money in Daniel Vladar. He becomes an RFA at the end of the season. Maybe Swayman comes out of college at the end of the year, maybe not, but now is the time to see what they have in Vladar and whether to cut bait with him.

In the event of an injury to Halak/Rask, they can still call Keyser up from the ECHL if they so choose.

That works for me. It keeps multiple options in play while still giving Keyser the next step up that he clearly needs. I understand the wish to fast-track him to Providence, but my only small concern with that is what if he turns out to be not quite ready to make that jump day in, day out and suffers a confidence dent after letting too many pucks past him in the AHL. Pushing talent upwards too quickly can be detrimental. Of course some guys just smash it no matter how far and fast you elevate them, but not everybody.

So start Keyser in Atlanta and give Vladar his opportunity. If in a couple of months Kyle's still excelling and Dan's struggling, they can always re-assess and bring the former up at that time.

Reactions: Sevendust

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
That works for me. It keeps multiple options in play while still giving Keyser the next step up that he clearly needs. I understand the wish to fast-track him to Providence, but my only small concern with that is what if he turns out to be not quite ready to make that jump day in, day out and suffers a confidence dent after letting too many pucks past him in the AHL. Pushing talent upwards too quickly can be detrimental. Of course some guys just smash it no matter how far and fast you elevate them, but not everybody.

So start Keyser in Atlanta and give Vladar his opportunity. If in a couple of months Kyle's still excelling and Dan's struggling, they can always re-assess and bring the former up at that time.
It’s interesting your concern on confidence, that is my concern with the ECHL, what if he plays with a horrible structure and defense and has a 4 GAA there, and what does that do for his confidence? I mean I suppose he can stop 46 of 50 shots a night and be alright. At the end of the day confidence means so much, and poor defense and structure put a goalie in the spot light. It’s rattled many goalies in the NHL who had a great season or two or three of success under their belt in a good defensive structure and then moved on to a not so good system structure. Raycroft is the first that comes to mind. Anyway I am sure Sweeney will make the right decision.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
It’s interesting your concern on confidence, that is my concern with the ECHL, what if he plays with a horrible structure and defense and has a 4 GAA there, and what does that do for his confidence? I mean I suppose he can stop 46 of 50 shots a night and be alright. At the end of the day confidence means so much, and poor defense and structure put a goalie in the spot light. It’s rattled many goalies in the NHL who had a great season or two or three of success under their belt in a good defensive structure and then moved on to a not so good system structure. Raycroft is the first that comes to mind. Anyway I am sure Sweeney will make the right decision.

That's a fair point - there are potential positives and risks wherever he's placed. All of which Sweeney & co. will need to weigh up in making their call. Good problems to have, but I'm still glad they're the ones making the decisions and not me!

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut

I'd put more stock in SV% than GAA.

Reactions: JOKER 192

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad