GDT: Preseason Doubleheader: Devils @ Canadiens / Flyers @ Devils - 7 P.M.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
weareback-wereback.gif

PWiz30

I love to hockey!
Jan 3, 2013
That was fun. I'm glad Torpedo got a little more work in. He had to be sharp in the last minute or so to keep Montreal to 2 goals.

Reactions: My3Sons

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
My thoughts on Holtz.

Something I noticed is much more hustle and keep skating mentality. A lot of snipers in the league tend to float around, trying to pick their spots to snipe a shot. I don't think Holtz will succeed like this, so it's good to see he's adapting.

That brings me to my next point. I personally don't think skating speed was Holtz issue, it's his processing speed, and... it's still an issue. That being said, he does look better than last season, so he just needs to be given a chance to get comfortable and improve this aspect. Keep it simple in the defensive zone and just get it out and left Nico/Meier handle the puck in the dzone-neutral zone transition lol.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
My thoughts on Holtz.

Something I noticed is much more hustle and keep skating mentality. A lot of snipers in the league tend to float around, trying to pick their spots to snipe a shot. I don't think Holtz will succeed like this, so it's good to see he's adapting.

That brings me to my next point. I personally don't think skating speed was Holtz issue, it's his processing speed, and... it's still an issue. That being said, he does look better than last season, so he just needs to be given a chance to get comfortable and improve this aspect. Keep it simple in the defensive zone and just get it out and left Nico/Meier handle the puck in the dzone-neutral zone transition lol.

I didnt watch the whole game admittedly, but he made a couple of nice plays in the neutral zone which I don't remember him doing much at all last year

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
My thoughts on Holtz.

I think skating speed was definitely an issue. Was pace of play also an issue? Sure. Processing speed? yup, this all makes sense.

And I think the Devils have done right by not giving him minutes until he proves he can play at a higher place. Hopefully he is ready.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
My thoughts on Holtz.

People underrated his motor. He wasn’t the floaty type. He tried. Then he couldn’t do it here because he couldn’t keep up. He had an easier time keeping up today so we saw it more again.

Reactions: My3Sons and Guadana

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Not worried about Nemec at all. The real deal and I think the main question is if we’re a better team with him in over Miller. I think it could definitively be yes by Christmas if he’s given the chance. Will they do that though? Probably not. I could see a Makar/Luke-like postseason appearance though.

Holtz still sort of meh. He needs to watch video of Patrick Sharp or something, something I’m just not feeling about his off puck play. And he can’t be the puck handler on the entry. We will see how things go. It’s only one game.

Reactions: HBK27 and My3Sons

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
We have good third pair defenseman in Miller.

Watched mtl game mostly. Can we trade Slafkovsky. They are ruining him. This franchise should be burned.
Curious to hear your thoughts on this, what's your assessment on Slaf right now?

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
Looks like most of our young players are improving their skating. May be for our organization it’s not an issue anymore and now Fitz trying to find players with better iq even if their skating isn’t well.

From what I saw(limited minutes), Holtz is doing well without the puck, but decision making and positional view isn’t there yet. He needs to play third line role in my taste to not face top six talents and best defensemen, he needs to play simple game, his shooting and passing are great, it’s ok to not handle the puck much.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Not worried about Nemec at all. The real deal and I think the main question is if we’re a better team with him in over Miller. I think it could definitively be yes by Christmas if he’s given the chance. Will they do that though? Probably not. I could see a Makar/Luke-like postseason appearance though.

Holtz still sort of meh. He needs to watch video of Patrick Sharp or something, something I’m just not feeling about his off puck play. And he can’t be the puck handler on the entry. We will see how things go. It’s only one game.
if Holtz can score goals and be in the right place at the right time i guess thats all we need from him!

he can figure out the rest as time goes on

Reactions: My3Sons and Oneiro

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad