GDT: Preseason - Devils vs. SC Bern- 1:30PM MSG+ NHLN

Status
Not open for further replies.

haak84

Oct 18, 2017
So you're saying he's uncomfortable on NHL ice?

yah sometimes. especially in tight situations. hes a high skill, high speed shifty winger— of course hes going to look better on olympic ice. he also moves better laterally than up and down. either way excited to see how he progresses this season.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
you know, i totally support the team's rationale for having so many weekend games, if it means more euro fans. it'd be really cool to build our brand out there and be known as "switzerland's team"

Reactions: glenwo2

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Agree with you ..

to me, Bern didn't play well ... to highlight this, the poor performance they displayed in PP.
The couldn't establish once in the zone. not a single time. (i missed the beginning of the 2nd period)

From time to time you saw good moves (the second and tying goal from Bern) but they were like disorganized and lacking confidence.
How they behaved at the beginning when 2 alone against Kinkaid. That was spectacularly weak.

The quality of the individual players was apparent in the 1 on 1. And in the global confidence this 1 on 1 rapport gives the players for the global game.
Yeah, and to add to that, the Devils would literally beat them to every loose puck. And when they would lose the puck, they weren't physical enough to jar the puck from any of the Devils. Some of that might be that they're essentially playing a friendly and it doesn't mean anything. I doubt it though. I just think teams in that league probably aren't nearly as physical. Also, those goals from Greene and Lovejoy were nice but will they ever be that wide open against an NHL team? Probably not.

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
Is he one of the better goalies in the league over there?

I'm assuming he is, since they're the best team over there, but that's not always indicative of a team with the best goalie, as the Sharks are a good team with a painfully average goalie in Martin Jones. Fleury during much of the early part of his Pens career, Osgood, etc. But I'm assuming he's one of the better ones over there.

I'd say he's the best when you factor in his track record and year-to-year consistancy, but in any given year someone else could be better. Elvis Merzlikins is a younger guy who I really hope we will see in the NHL soon. He was drafted by the Blue Jackets a few years ago. He seems to be off a mediocre start this season, but despite his young age he is constantly a wall for Latvia at every World Championship.

Devilsfan92

Jan 4, 2008
Uhh...We do?

I don't believe in Momentum but going into the regular season following a win(even if it's preseason) would be good on the psyche.

Isn't that arguably the same thing? The momentum and psyche? Or kind of go hand and hand.

I can understand the team, and players, wanting and being able to feel confident after winning, but it's a different game. It's a different type of team. It's a different ice. It's just different. It's not NHL. the only thing to take from it is confidence and since, obviously, they weren't playing to their fullest, it really doesn't matter. Can you honestly tell me a player like Hall will play that way this Saturday, when it matters? Or next week when these guys are home?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd say he's the best when you factor in his track record and year-to-year consistancy, but in any given year someone else could be better. Elvis Merzlikins is a younger guy who I really hope we will see in the NHL soon. He was drafted by the Blue Jackets a few years ago. He seems to be off a mediocre start this season, but despite his young age he is constantly a wall for Latvia at every World Championship.
I know what you mean. Kind of like how Brodeur (up until about 2010 or so) was the best in the league (probably post Roy and the first time Hasek retired) between 2003 and 2010, even if a random guy or two had better seasons than him, they weren't better than him, nor the best.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
He has been in the conversation for being one of the best goalies in the NLA for about 8 years. His last few years in Davos were spectacular (including a cup that he pretty much single-handedly won for us) and he was still a top goalie for Bern as far as I can tell. I don't follow them all that closely.
Thanks. Didn't really know much about him or any of these players before today.

I saw Steve Cangialosi tweet out that he saw Damien Brunner and Anssi Salmela playing in the game the other day and both scored, I guess they were playing for Bern's opponent that night. Thought that was amusing, as we rememember both of them as Devils.

Reactions: TheNeutrality

Elvs

Jul 3, 2006
Sweden
I know what you mean. Kind of like how Brodeur (up until about 2010 or so) was the best in the league (probably post Roy and the first time Hasek retired) between 2003 and 2010, even if a random guy or two had better seasons than him, they weren't better than him, nor the best.

Year-to-year consitancy is often overlooked. A lot of people can't or won't differentiate a good/bad season and a good/bad player. And for a goaltender I put even more stock into a sample size dating back a couple of years. Broduer is a good example.

Tomas Vokoun is imo the most underrated goaltender post the 04/05 lockout, which is when I started following the NHL closely.

His numbers from 2005 up until his last NHL season in 2013:

91.9%
92.0%
91.9%
92.6%
92.5%
92.2%
91.7%
91.9%

He was never gonna compete for any Vezina's. But every year you'd know you'd be getting good to great goaltending, and (if the rest of your team was good enough) have a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010
I thought he did have a chance.

Was it a terrible goal? Not terrible, but he had a decent chance at it.

Our goalies post mediocre numbers (I give Kinkaid a break because he's a backup, but Cory stunk last year and the year before and you know it too) because they allow a lot of stoppable goals.

Which is why Kinkaid's numbers improved from February onward pretty drastically. Because the amount of poor goals allowed were cut out drastically.

You *are* in mid-season form, man. Of course he has a chance (as long as he's on the ice).

If anyone in the NHL has a chance like that, they need to bury it unless a Vezina candidate is in there, and Kinkaid isn't that... temper your expectations a bit, my man.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Yeah, and to add to that, the Devils would literally beat them to every loose puck. And when they would lose the puck, they weren't physical enough to jar the puck from any of the Devils. Some of that might be that they're essentially playing a friendly and it doesn't mean anything. I doubt it though. I just think teams in that league probably aren't nearly as physical. Also, those goals from Greene and Lovejoy were nice but will they ever be that wide open against an NHL team? Probably not.

You are right, the game is less physical here than in the NHL. Hence players are smaller and faster ... more space on ice.

And who is good enough, plays in the NHL ... not here !! (Josi, Baertschi, Streit, Hischier ... come from Bern) so you , very logicaly, have a difference in talent.

Probably this "friendly game" aspect also complicates the issue. You don't want to go "full war" mode as well.
With Nico knowing every single player, his brother was playing on that Bern team till last year ... it was as if a friend team comes .... it created a weird atmosphere for a true hockey game.

Nico has strong ties with most of them ... this is his hockey team were he grew up ... half of the Bern players are from Bern. This is not a club of mercenaries where they know each other only for the employment and were you compete with the others to get a spot. this spirit is there but to a much lesser degree than the NHL.

The devils team going and being saluted by the public at the end ... i never saw that !! they salute their team and wish "dead" to the other team !! that is the normal behavior.

Then Bern played Friday, Saturday ... today (monday) and will play tomorow in the championship.
And the Devils don't want to get injured before the real season.
And most spots are taken ... (i saw other NHL teams playing in Europe with more grit ... players were still fighting for a spot !!) but it doesn't seem to be the Devil's case.

Even if it is not said, i believe that all players wanted a cosy game.

All in all a particular game.
2-2 and an OT win for the Devils is the best possible political outcome in my view.
Therefore it was a true success. Everybody is happy.

Reactions: Missionhockey

Colin226

NJ Devils STH
Jan 14, 2011
Central NJ
you know, i totally support the team's rationale for having so many weekend games, if it means more euro fans. it'd be really cool to build our brand out there and be known as "switzerland's team"

From what I saw tonight, that is well under way. There were a lot of people - from kids to adults - in Hischier Devils jerseys, and I came to realize that they all were not from the States.

Reactions: OmNomNom

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Year-to-year consitancy is often overlooked. A lot of people can't or won't differentiate a good/bad season and a good/bad player. And for a goaltender I put even more stock into a sample size dating back a couple of years. Broduer is a good example.

Tomas Vokoun is imo the most underrated goaltender post the 04/05 lockout, which is when I started following the NHL closely.

His numbers from 2005 up until his last NHL season in 2013:

91.9%
92.0%
91.9%
92.6%
92.5%
92.2%
91.7%
91.9%

He was never gonna compete for any Vezina's. But every year you'd know you'd be getting good to great goaltending, and (if the rest of your team was good enough) have a chance to win the Stanley Cup.
I agree with you on Vokoun. Too many years wasted on BAD Florida teams. The only team he ever played for that was a contender (or even more than just kind of good) was the 2013 Pens and he almost got them to the SCF that year. They were swept in 4 games while scoring like 4 or 5 goals in the entire series in that ECF. The Caps weren't a bad team in 2012, but he got injured and didn't get to play in those playoffs. Most of those Preds teams weren't that great, but were pretty decent. Never thought they had much of a cup contender while he was there. The 2007 team was the only one that could have done some damage.

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ
From what I saw tonight, that is well under way. There were a lot of people - from kids to adults - in Hischier Devils jerseys, and I came to realize that they all were not from the States.

Wondering how many Devils fans from the US will be there Saturday. We're heading over Wednesday night arriving in Gothenburg Thursday morning. Should be a good time! :)

Reactions: The 29th Pick

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I think we can now conclude that either Gryba or Stafford will be cut. Probably Gryba. Unless they shock us all and demote Quenneville, which would be awful. His ice time was pretty low from what I saw, but I never did see an official tracking after the game.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
I think we can now conclude that either Gryba or Stafford will be cut. Probably Gryba. Unless they shock us all and demote Quenneville, which would be awful. His ice time was pretty low from what I saw, but I never did see an official tracking after the game.

He was alternating shifts with Dea on the Zajac line. I could see both players being cut, but it would be a somewhat odd choice to bring Stafford over to Switzerland just to not play in a game. I could've seen them giving him that game as a finale to his NHL career.

Some journalist mentioned on Twitter that Winnik and Stempniak might sign with the Bruins but are talking to other teams - I could see NJ being interested in either guy.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
New Cangimeme Alert:

upload_2018-10-1_18-25-9.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad