Post-Game Talk: Preseason continues. Flames 4 @ Canucks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Willie also wants 15 goals minimum out of Vey this season.

He's going to fall out of favor quick this season.

offbeatgravy

Mar 18, 2013
Kelowna
Couldn't watch the game so i'm just going off highlights / impressions from others.

Really impressed with McCann. He was already one of my favorite prospects, so really glad he is having a good showing so far. Love his speed and creativity, really hope he gets a chance for the first 9 games (doubtful of course). That rush on the third goal was beautiful, and it was weird seeing a creative play and goal come from the second unit PP.

Gaunce needs to make the team, nothing else to say about this. Also think Hutton gets a shot at some point this year, such a good passer which is something we lack on our back end.

It is going to suck watching Miller for large portions of the season, really hope Markstrom finally becomes the number one he was drafted to be.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
completely disagree about Cassels he wasn't given much ice time and in the limited time he had he made very smart plays he sees the ice so well and has very tricky hands. I would like him to stay with the team.. He is way better than Vey

Well Cassels had more ice-time than Gaunce and McCann, so there's that. He played 13.5 mins, which would be higher than his season average if he were to play on the fourth line this season.

At this point, from what he has shown, I wouldn't say way better than Vey. In fact, I'm not sure he's any better. I would say they're both mediocre in their own ways. I think a season in the AHL will go a long way for Cassels to help him turn pro. No need to rush him, especially when McCann is more deserving of the 4C role than either of them at this point.

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
Gaunce has worked harder than anyone to make this team. It would be so disappointing to see this kid sent down.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
LW is actually weaker than what you have listed. Kenins is likely starting in Utica, Virtanen may only get his 9 games and Baertschi is still a question mark to play a full season in the top 6. So you're left with:

LW: Sedin and Higgins, one of which is already injured. Gaunce has played better than Kenins so far. And Baertschi likely makes the team based on Utica playoffs.

Meanwhile at center, Gaunce needs to compete with:

Henrik Sedin
Brandon Sutter
Bo Horvat

These 3 are a lock to make the team.

Then you have Vey who isn't waiver eligible, but has 1 NHL season already, and McCann who is showing a lot of promise to play this year as well.

Seeing how Gaunce has adjusted really well on the wing and hasn't taken regular faceoffs at the pro-level, I'd be hesitant to put him at center now. I think he has a better chance making the team as a winger, this year.

You don't make sense.

You say Baertschi is iffy but then say he is on the team. Can't have it both ways. We all know that Baertschi will start the season here. No way he gets exposed to waivers and gets egg all over the face of management. He's here and will be given lots of time. He was much better than Gaunce last year in Utica. (Gaunce was in fact sat in the playoffs) and that is huge factor you need to s consider here.

Say Kenins will be Utica. I don't know what you are watching but Kenins has been solid. For God sake look beyond the score sheet. Kenins is much more developed two way winger than Gaunce. If you watched the games from Utica last year Kenins was way better than Gaunce. Go ask anyone who watched those games on a consistent basis. That's why he got called up whereas Gaunce was no where close to call up. Indeed Gaunce had some real struggles last year and his adjustment to the wing was no where near as smooth as you suggest. And Kenins has had a good pre-season and shown much better puck management than Gaunce. Eliminating Kenins as consideration on left wing is just silly at this point

And what about Prust. He is certainly on the team. Maybe you don't like him but you must know he starts the season here.

Virtanen will also get his nine games. He hasn't been overly good but he has got the attributes of a winger that Gaunce lacks. Besides that you know this management is going to give him a long look.

Saying we only have one left winger (Sedin) with Higgins out is a totally contrived argument. All of Kenins, Prust, Virtanen and Baertschi are in the mix and will be on the team ahead of Gaunce. Gaunce gets thru waivers and others will not be moved to Utica.

Beyond that the pre-season is maybe the best time to experiment. Why be so closed off to the possibility of trying Gaunce at center??? Maybe it doesn't pan out but it's worth a try given the present situation. Do you really see Vey as option??? If anyone has cut themselves during the pre-season it is Vey. And as stated in my earlier post I don't see a raw rookie who is mostly a offensive player as being much of 4th line option. That's IMO is far from being in McCann's best interests.

What Gaunce has established is that he is better. There are still holes in his game and periods of time when he disappears. But I think he has played well enough too be given a look at a position he might be suited to and to a position where we need help.

Left wing may not be as strong as we want it to be. But the real problem is the 4th line center. And just maybe Gaunce can help here. As stated, it's worth the try.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I wouldn't worry much about this loss. There seems to be a lot of overreactions based on this games. I think games like this are harder for the veteran team to win because veterans use camp/pre-season games to get their timing and get into game shape, often their goal is to simply not get injured. The veterans don't have the intensity that they would in the regular season, whereas kids fighting for roster spots have not only been playing a week longer in many cases but they actually have something to play for (roster spots).

I think you guys will be right in the thick of a playoff race.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I wouldn't worry much about this loss. There seems to be a lot of overreactions based on this games. I think games like this are harder for the veteran team to win because veterans use camp/pre-season games to get their timing and get into game shape, often their goal is to simply not get injured. The veterans don't have the intensity that they would in the regular season, whereas kids fighting for roster spots have not only been playing a week longer in many cases but they actually have something to play for (roster spots).

We always react like this.

This is the regular response.

I really hope we do not make the playoffs. I hope that we are bottom5 we could really use a young D prospect.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

While there's no reason to worry about the loss, I'll have to disagree on the state of the team. The management is in love with their ideas and are extremely stubborn about it.

The Canucks will ice a roster that has: Vey, Prust, Dorsett, Sbisa and Miller, and pretty much all of those players will be asked to play minutes they're not capable of playing. Along with that, we're most likely going to see Sutter given a very very long look on the second line, and that's going to completely gut the secondary scoring.

That simply isn't promising.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Pretty decisively outplayed a bad Flames roster but somehow lost. Outside of our goalie, though, not a bad effort with some good individual performances. Team is more fun to watch without the likes of Sbisa/Prust/Vey.

- Sedins are coasting but still had some dazzling moments of puck movement. Grenier didn't fit with them at all and that experiment was rightfully scrapped.

- Horvat was the best player on the ice. Should be surprising to nobody that Vrbata looked better with him than Sutter. Guy is ready to break out big-time and needs the line mates and opportunity to do it. Better than Sutter by a laughable amount.

- Gaunce was excellent and looks like he could play now. What a shame he's not playing C because he'd be the perfect guy for the #4 center spot. So much better than Vey.

- I didn't think McCann had the best game generally but he had two ridiculous moments of absolute class. There probably isn't room for him this year (don't want him playing with Dorsett and Prust) but he's putting in a fine showing and should be here next year.

- Cracknell can't skate but knows where to be and does little things well. Will be a handy call up. Friesen worked hard but will plateau as an AHLer.

- Cassels needs to go to Utica and keep working on his skating. Isn't getting the separation he needs to use his playmaking skills.

- Jensen worked his ass off tonight even if he didn't get results. If he can do that for 80 games in the AHL maybe he can rebuild his career. Not holding my breath.

- great showing for Hutton, even beyond the 3 assists. Obviously Tanev makes everyone look good but that pair was on the front foot all night. Didn't have to defend much. Might have passed Corrado.

- Hamhuis had a bit of a howler handling the pick but not too worried. Bartkowski looked great moving the puck up ice but his down low coverage is weak. Still more positive than negative from him.

- thought Biega was terrific until making a bit of an iffy clear on the late goal. Did everything well, skated miles, finished every check. At this point, if Corrado can't improve, I waive Corrado and keep Biega as the #7 guy.

- Miller stunk. Goaltending loss. Get ready for lots of these.

Oh, and 3-on-3 OT sucks. Gong show is right.

Generally agree with this. Hopefully Corrado earns a spot full-time on that 3rd pairing this year. Putting him with Bartkowski would him do a world of good - at least better than putting him with Sbisa would.

Gaunce really should be getting looks at 4C.

I can't quite put my finger on it, but this team sure seems to be LACKing something.

What you did there. I see it.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
- You guys are gonna miss Eddie Lack. Wow. Haha.

No kidding. Miller hasn't looked good all preseason.

I think there are a number of good reasons for putting Gaunce at 4th line center.

1. I think it will keep him more in the play. One thing I think Gaunce showed in previous seasons was a good ability to channel the puck carrier out of the middle of the ice in the neutral zone. He did the same thing in Junior. I saw it as one of the real strengths in his game. More than this Gaunce is big enough to take up space in the middle of the ice and force the play to outside in the offensive zone allowing you to cut off players along the boards. I watched Gaunce all year in Utica and you could see that he was effective in angling the forecheck when he was in the slot. I believe that if you free him up from doing the grunt work along the boards, you let him use his smarts to direct the play and cut off passes in the offensive zone. I would say that Gaunce has good chance of becoming a good inside to outside player and this he can do better at center.

2. Gaunce is not that nimble. He needs to play more of a flow game and he can do that better from the center position.

3. it has also been my observation from watching him in Utica that Gaunce has very good and heavy shot from the deep slot. I think he can score better from the middle than from coming off the wing.

4. Gaunce is heady player. I rather see him in a position where he can use his smarts rather than being jammed up against the wall.

5. Gaunce hasn't got a great first step. Good when he gets moving. I just don't see him as very good stop and start player which is an essential aspect of playing wing.

6. Right now the team is crying out for a 4th line center. I don't think you put McCann in that position. His strength is not grinding it out in the defensive zone. McCann is no doubt the best long term player but he is not suitable now or in the future to be a defensive player. McCann's strength are passing, play making and shooting and I don't see him compatible with players like Prust or Dorsett. However, I see Gaunce being the type of player that can really add to the forechecking those players can provide.

Team recognizes this, to an extent, by saying that the idea of moving Gaunce to the wing was to get him to play a more involved and in your face type of hockey and this would serve him well when he moved back to center.

As it is the Canucks have Sedin, Baertschi, Kenins, Higgins, Virtanen, and Prust who can all play on the left side so there is no real shortage as you stated. Where the team is in real need is on the 4th line at center (so desperate they are considering using Vey there).

To me, Gaunce has played ok on the wing this pre-season but not much better than that. Moreover, I think Gaunce eventual position will be center and I don't see much reason, especially given the present needs of the team, why this isn't, at least, tried now.

Good post. I think the bolded is key: that the assumption with moving Gaunce to the wing to get him playing a more direct game was that he would keep doing that when he eventually moves back to C. Though right now the real need for a good 4C may have to fast track that. I'd take Gonzo over Vey in that spot right now.

damack

Jan 3, 2014

Then they should have shown a lot more on Friday night. I"m generally a glass 1/2 full guy with this team but it"s looking a bit glum so far

Roccosvan

Jan 8, 2010
Vancouver
Then they should have shown a lot more on Friday night. I"m generally a glass 1/2 full guy with this team but it"s looking a bit glum so far

Keep mccann /gaunce waive vey. Does anyone honestly think vey would get claimed anyway? There are no re-entry waivers anymore so he's a call up if injuries mount.

Last edited:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
While there's no reason to worry about the loss, I'll have to disagree on the state of the team. The management is in love with their ideas and are extremely stubborn about it.

The Canucks will ice a roster that has: Vey, Prust, Dorsett, Sbisa and Miller, and pretty much all of those players will be asked to play minutes they're not capable of playing. Along with that, we're most likely going to see Sutter given a very very long look on the second line, and that's going to completely gut the secondary scoring.

That simply isn't promising.

We're going to ice a team with 4th liners? Nooooo! The horrors!

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
Keep mccann /gaunce waive vey. Does anyone honestly think vey would get claimed anyway? There are no re-entry waivers anymore so he's a call up if injuries mount.

I think Vey will get claimed.

Some GM will take a shot at Vey, especially a team like Toronto.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I could actually get on board with this team if I got to watch all these young guys this year along with a few vets (Sedins, Burrows, Edler, etc.). Losing games like this wouldn't bother me if players like Horvat, McCann, and Hutton were out there improving. As opposed to watching slugs like Sbisa, Prust and Vey stink up the joint.

Oh, and it's clear we're likely in for another season of the "our back-up is better than our starter" show.

BassMason

Dec 1, 2006
Oh, and it's clear we're likely in for another season of the "our back-up is better than our starter" show.

Willie might go with Markstrom. It's his second year as a coach and he might be willing to stray from towing the company line a little bit more.

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON

Why in the world would Toronto do it. He's like the exact opposite of the type of player they would grab, especially now that they're heavily invested in analytics and have Babcock as a coach.

Vey is worthless. Almost every single team has one.

arsmaster*

I think Vey will get claimed.

I don't think he'd get picked up either.

Been hoping for awhile that we can get him down to Utica. He appears to be done his developing.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Willie also wants 15 goals minimum out of Vey this season.

He's going to fall out of favor quick this season.

seriously? did he really say that?

on the fourth line with two anchors?

maybe if he gets that first unit PP spot back and we also trade for erik karlsson to play the point...

jonnygf40

Oct 23, 2009
I think it's just too bad that the Sedins have to finish their careers on such a crappy team. I mean, I think we can all agree we're going to be bottom dwellers for the next few years.
It would be nice if we could at least send them to a contender, or a team that will be contending in the next couple years. (Buffalo?)
Sad to see them go out like this.

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Willie might go with Markstrom. It's his second year as a coach and he might be willing to stray from towing the company line a little bit more.

Otoh, I see Markstrom getting the following starts:

Oct 13 in LA, team's 3rd game in 4 nights, 2nd half of back to back after the Ducks on the 12th

then sit for a month, get one game in, then sit until ...

Dec 18 in Detroit, team's 3rd game in 4 nights and 4th in 6 nights, 2nd half of back to back

Then when those games don't go well (and does anybody here think they would with that schedule and blow to Markstrom's preparation and confidence?) WD will talk about playing Miller because Markstrom had a rough time of it.

Sorry, I can't get over how he handled his goalies last season.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Miller is going to continue his play at the level this preseason has shown and be completely below average. WD will either ride Miller despite his poor play or everything will fall on Markstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino