Post-Game Talk: Preseason continues. Flames 4 @ Canucks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
lol did Miller really lose us this game?

Benning acquisitions roflmao evaluator of talent

huntison

Aug 12, 2008
LOL, where's Burrows? Cause that offensive lineup is what I want, just replace Kenins with Burrows.

Yep. My bad.

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrby
Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen
Kenins - McCann - Dorsett
Virtanen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartkowski - Corrado
Hutton

**sbisa gets suspended for something :)

***Prust and Higgins are probably hurt.

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
is it true,that our vets have combined 2pts in 4 pre season games,and Hutton is leading our team in scoring?

Well lets see:

Cracknell from Bartkowski, Hansen in game 1

0 goals game 2

Virtanen from Corrado game 3

Today :
Gaunce from Vrbata, Hutton
Horvat from McCann, Hutton
Friesen from McCann, Hutton

So yes, 2 points if you don't count Bartkowski.

Pretty pathetic...

ShouldveDraftedFiala

Feb 20, 2007
Never do that.

If your about to watch it you'll see the line ups soon enough.

I avoid this place (and many others) like the plague when I'm about to watch a PVR'd game. Hell, I even avoid phone calls from hockey fan friends.

It's really not a hard thing to do. It's pretty simple if the admins just enforce it. I can go to many sub-reddits, movies, GoT, etc. and never be spoiled without having significant forewarning. All that's needed here is to not have the PGT's have any spoilers in the title and boom, it's done. Easy. Simple change for the benefit of those PVR'ing the game, but wanting to view the thread as they watch.

Zaddy91

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
I have a feeling were gonna not have enough room for the rookies and just tank for chychurn.

Then we waive evryone and bring em all on the team next year

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
the system we use now makes way more sense to me. finished games have a score. way better for archival purposes

Eddy Punch Clock

Jack Adams 2028
Jun 13, 2007
Chillbillyville
It's really not a hard thing to do. It's pretty simple if the admins just enforce it. I can go to many sub-reddits, movies, GoT, etc. and never be spoiled without having significant forewarning. All that's needed here is to not have the PGT's have any spoilers in the title and boom, it's done. Easy. Simple change for the benefit of those PVR'ing the game, but wanting to view the thread as they watch.

One thing that always used to piss me off before I had a PVR was when I'd rely on the radio podcasts.

As soon as you click on the page there was always the poll of the night visible which would pretty much give up so much of the game narrative. Example.... "who is most responsible for tonights loss?" or "who was the hero in tonights game for the Canucks?"

Do they not understand the needs of a fan that needs to rely on a podcast?*:cry:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
lol did Miller really lose us this game?

Benning acquisitions roflmao evaluator of talent

Whenever I think of Benning's comment that he could have traded Ryan Miller instead of Eddie Lack I want to weep....Miller will be a buy-out candidate by the end of the season...book it

Aug 3, 2005
Vancouver & OK Falls
To me, Hutton's game was the most awesome, considering he's a college boy D plunked into NHL pre-season combat. I haven't seen immediate coolness, execution, smarts, and skating like that since Tanev came out of nowhere. Hutton is like an early Tanev but with offence as his uncanny gift.

Hutton played 18 solid minutes. Wish McCann had more than just 12, considering how good he was.

Hutton and Subban are going to be a fun pair to watch in about 2 years.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Ah I remember last year where I was pumping McCanns tires.

Kid is elite through and through.

MCann has that uncanny ability to find holes and buy himself time to make a play at top-speed....and the kid's shot is already NHL-ready.....reminds me of a young Stevie Y....will be sad to see him back in junior in favor of another year of Linden Vey.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
MCann has that uncanny ability to find holes and buy himself time to make a play at top-speed....and the kid's shot is already NHL-ready.....reminds me of a young Stevie Y....will be sad to see him back in junior in favor of another year of Linden Vey.

Really liking his game so far. He does seem a bit small on the ice though.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
It might be in part due to the Tanev-effect, but Hutton looks to have gotten a lot better as the preseason has wore on.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Some time left but this team hardly looks ready for the start of the season. Tons of breakdowns against a very watered down Flames team. Should have been an easy win for the Canucks but a combination of poor goal tending and ragged coverage and puck movement meant they couldn't even look good in this game.

Little need to talk about vets but if players like the Sedins don't up play quickly this could be a truly atrocious year. Lots of poor play out of vets including one of Tanev's poorest efforts

Liked

Horvat - played well again but there has to be concern that so much burden will need to placed on such a young player. However, he has to be your second line center.

McCann - nice player. Getting more solid on his skates and good change of gears. Sees the play well and shows ability to put the right touch on his passes at speed. Has some defensive problems low in the defensive zone but breaks out of the zone well. Probably over his head in the NHL this year but Canucks may need to go with him.

Bartkowski - I think there will be times when this player hurts you in your own end but like his mobility and ability to jump into holes. Needs to play with strong defensive work from his partner and his center (and that might be hard to find on this team). I think he is exceeding expectation ATM

Hutton - has steadily improved. Wondered at first whether we had another Connuaton but beginning to believe that he has better head for positioning and defensive awareness. Little doubt that this player has some real offensive upside to his game. Seems the best young defenseman we've had since Tanev. Given the play of Hutton you have to wonder why Subban wasn't given more of look since he looked the equal of Hutton in Penticton.

Did Not Like

Miller - If you didn't know better you would think this was a kid out of college or the minors who had a lot to work on. Canucks have got him playing a very passive style and it is not working. When Miller was good he was active goalie who depended upon reflexes. Now he down and stationary. Only hope is that he can regain his form and become tradeable. Again Benning not moving him in the off season looks idiotic.

Cracknell - ok the guy can't skate. That's all you really have to know. Shinkaruk should have got another look (at least he has some potential)

Cassels - not ready. got trapped in his own end and lacked the speed to get the puck out. Crafty but lacks the physicality to play at this level. Will be a learning year in Utica where he will have to improve to survive. Maybe not fully recovered from injury suffered in the playoffs last year and suffering from a shortened off-season. Right now reminds me of Vey.

Grenier - still can't use teammates well enough and has not got the upper level talent to pull off the moves he is trying. He is better defensively but that is not what he is here for.

Others

Jensen - never bought the line that this player was lazy. I saw a player who gave it a good effort at the AHL level and is doing the same in the preseason. Think some assumed him to be good and could only explain the lack of production by thinking he was lazy. Problem is that Jensen really isn't that good. Tends to pause in the play and lacks ability to use good body positioning to keep or get the puck. Seems to stumble at times and fall out of the play. Also over anxious when he gets the puck and often blows offensive chances. Hopefully has good year in Utica.

Friesen - skating continues to improve. Gets around the ice fairly well. Still butchers most of his chances around the net but at least getting there. Friesen isn't that good but might be better fit for the 4th line than Vey.

Gaunce - why not try him at 4th line center????? Showed well in spurts again but also long periods of disappearing. I believe that if he was center he would stay more continuously in the play. You wonder if this is another knot-headed dictate handed down from Elmer.

Biega - don't think Biega has raised his game to the level it was in Utica last season. Last year was a very long and tough year for Biega and maybe needed a longer recovery period. That said, he has at least be adequate at this level.

Again running the heroic Desjardins on and of the bench was like a soap opera. Like Willie had to charge down there in late going to save the team. For crumbs sake it's the pre-season and you've got plenty of vets in the line up. Whole thing was farcical.

Last edited:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Gaunce - why not try him at 4th line center????? Showed well in spurts again but also long periods of disappearing. I believe that if he was center he would stay more continuously in the play. You wonder if this is another knot-headed dictate handed down from Elmer.

He's been doing great as LW. He played all season in Utica in that position and it actually provides the Canucks with more flexibility as we're weak on left wing.

Meanwhile, I rather have McCann compete for the 4th line spot.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
And we had Bonino for 2 more seasons at 1.9 million a year...

Who would fit well for a 3rd line spot or go on the wing on the second line. I don't get it...

The trade looks dumber and dumber every day.

Yep, Bonino was signed for 2 more years which would've given them a year to work Horvat into a #2C role and then they could've traded Bonino for futures in the 2nd year if Horvat showed he was ready. Then there'd be room for McCann to work his way into the lineup or failing that you pick up a 3rd line C as a UFA. It really was a pretty good situation all things considered.

Instead Benning makes a mess of it and now they've got a $4.5M 3rd liner on the books for the next 6 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad