Post-Game Talk: Preseason continues. Flames 4 @ Canucks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saturated Fats

This is water
Jan 24, 2007
Vancouver/Edinburgh
I really, really like Ben Hutton. Set the points aside, he plays the game the absolute right way. He is patient with the puck, big enough to take the body, tracks the down low play well... I am really excited about him as a top-4 defenceman. Great find from the Gillis' crew.

Also liked Gaunce tonight, think he deserves a look in the bottom 6. He's not quick and not overly physical, but he's smart, and always seems to be in the right place.

McCann obviously deserves 9 games at this point, but I don't think he'll get it.

Bartkowski has been a real pleasant surprise. He has been strong, is real good with the puck, actually moves it out of the zone by skating (a novel concept for this D corps). Good find thusfar.

I figure that, at this rate, we'll start the year with:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Sutter - Vrbata
Hansen - Horvat - Virtanen
Prust - Vey - Dorsett
Gaunce, Kenins (Higgins)

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Sbisa - Bartkowski
Hutton

And that's fine, I guess. I'd like to see McCann in 4C, but that's not the spot for him long term, so management won't put him there. They'll give Vey one last shot. Judging by his play thusfar, he'll disappoint, but it is what it is.

Chychrun, here we come.

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Went to the game with my girlfriend since her boss gave her tickets. I was scared considering how boring the other games were, but this one was entertaining, all in all. As someone who doesn't expect this team to compete for the playoffs and hoping for a high pick, I'm less concerned nowadays about the result than I'm of individual play.

Pros:

Horvat - My oh my, is there anything he can't do? He consistently makes chances on the rush, is strong on the puck and keeps winning puck battles. It seems like the play never dies on his stick, only on the stick of his linemates. Too bad he didn't score on his chance in overtime or on the power move off the rush in the 2nd period, but he had a hell of a game.

McCann - I didn't have the opportunity to watch him last time he played, despite the rave reviews, so I was glad to see him today. He didn't stand out to me earlier in training camp but if this is how he plays on a consistent basis, how do you not give him his 9 games? Sure, he still needs to fill out, but he's against Vey right now, and I can't think of a single thing Vey brings that McCann doesn't. McCann is good on the powerplay (what a heads up pass to Bo), can fly, and makes plays. He can get pushed off here and there, but he competes and doesn't get pushed around as much as Vey.

Gaunce - So happy to see him pot one in the net. Noticed him here and there throughout the game along the boards and hustling on the forecheck. Did well to continue the cycle and all. I think he should get a legitimate shot at filling in the LW spot until Higgins returns.

Hutton - Regardless of his assists, this was his best game by far. He always stood out to me in making plays across the neutral zone, getting the puck up, and handling the offensive blue line. He showed plenty of poise with the puck, making passes within inches of opposing sticks, but getting it where he needed to. I really like the tools he brings to the team. With that said, I'm not sure who else does. I would like to see him in the line-up, but for who?

Cons:

Miller - Was that tying goal ugly or what? That just can't happen on that play. Good thing he bailed out his team in the dying seconds, but that could've been a game-winning save instead of a game-savings save if he was just a little better on any of the other 3 goals. I know it's a preseason game, but I sure hope he starts putting a good game together soon.

Grenier - He had a couple good shots but didn't really capitalize on his opportunity with the Sedins, imo. He did go to the net like he should've, but he seemed to have troubles getting open for a pass during the cycle. Since the Sedins play a big cycle game and not just a "throw it on net and pray" style of game, it doesn't seem like a match made in heaven.

Cassels - Noticed him, but only because I was looking for him. I know he didn't have all-star linemates, but that's the whole point of standing out - to show you can improve others around you. Anyway, didn't really do anything bad, but didn't do anything great either. Meh.

At this point, I'd rather have McCann up for his 9 games than Virtanen. But I know management is keen on giving him a chance as well, add Gaunce to the mix, and the locker room is getting to be pretty full. In fact, I rather like the line of Gaunce - Horvat - Vrbata. I'm not so sure if Baertschi was in for Gaunce that he would've scored that goal. It's good to have someone that will crash the net like that and be able to work the boards. Here's my go at a healthy line-up:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Gaunce - Horvat - Vrbata
Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett
Kenins
Virtanen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartkowski - Corrado
Hutton

Miller
Markstrom

Don't need Vey, Prust, or Sbisa. Go away. Or send Virtanen to the juniors and keep Prust. Still, Vey and Sbisa, go away. :dunno:

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I think this is the year the Canucks can add an additional 4 rookies to the team without sacrificing on-ice product. These guys look real good. By the end of the season....

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Baertschi - Horvat - Vrbata
Gaunce - Sutter - Hansen
Virtanen - McCann - Dorsett
Prust

Bartkowski - Tanev
Edler - Hamhuis
Hutton - Weber
Corrado

Markstrom
Miller

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'd still take McCann over Virtano.

I missed the game because I was at the caps game - any particular things?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
So, Horvat emerging as second line center? This is what I hoped for, in the preseason.

Miller does not look like the same guy before the injury. I hope he's breaking in new equipment or something?

Higgins' temporary absence seems to have taken the lid off the rookies in camp. I wonder if some guys win a spot?

Team is doing due diligence, testing different combinations. They'll be quite different looking in regular season play.

SaltySnipes*

Can't Sutter play left wing?

Sutter - McCann - Hansen

might be a solid line.

Both shooters flanking McCann

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
I'd like to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Kenins-Sutter-Virtanen
Gaunce-McCann-Hansen
Higgins(Injured)

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Corrado
Bartkowski

On opening lineup.

We are a retooling team, why not put our NHL ready prospects in the NHL.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I'd like to see:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Baertschi-Horvat-Vrbata
Kenins-Sutter-Virtanen
Gaunce-McCann-Hansen
Higgins(Injured)

Edler-Tanev
Hamhuis-Weber
Hutton-Corrado
Bartkowski

On opening lineup.

We are a retooling team, why not put our NHL ready prospects in the NHL.

Because LEA-DER-SHIP

aka

DOR-SETT, PR-UST

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Man rough day for the Vcr sports teams in general. Lions lose a game they had in the bag, White caps (which I was at) lose a game they should've been up 3-1 or 4-1, and Nuck kids looked good but shaking goaltending and some disinterested vets stole defeat from the mouth of victory. Total garbage island of a day in sports...

Powder

Watch out, I bite.
Mar 14, 2011
Somewhere Up North
Most beautiful play of the preseason so far from the Canucks.

Edit: Just noticed Bo pulling at 65's stick as he skates by him to throw off his checking of Burrows. May not have been much, but it may have been just enough for 65 to mistime hitting the puck. Good play leads to good goal. Really like McCann on the powerplay as well. Sees the ice well and has a dangerous shot to boot.

Last edited:

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
He's been doing great as LW. He played all season in Utica in that position and it actually provides the Canucks with more flexibility as we're weak on left wing.

Meanwhile, I rather have McCann compete for the 4th line spot.

I think there are a number of good reasons for putting Gaunce at 4th line center.

1. I think it will keep him more in the play. One thing I think Gaunce showed in previous seasons was a good ability to channel the puck carrier out of the middle of the ice in the neutral zone. He did the same thing in Junior. I saw it as one of the real strengths in his game. More than this Gaunce is big enough to take up space in the middle of the ice and force the play to outside in the offensive zone allowing you to cut off players along the boards. I watched Gaunce all year in Utica and you could see that he was effective in angling the forecheck when he was in the slot. I believe that if you free him up from doing the grunt work along the boards, you let him use his smarts to direct the play and cut off passes in the offensive zone. I would say that Gaunce has good chance of becoming a good inside to outside player and this he can do better at center.

2. Gaunce is not that nimble. He needs to play more of a flow game and he can do that better from the center position.

3. it has also been my observation from watching him in Utica that Gaunce has very good and heavy shot from the deep slot. I think he can score better from the middle than from coming off the wing.

4. Gaunce is heady player. I rather see him in a position where he can use his smarts rather than being jammed up against the wall.

5. Gaunce hasn't got a great first step. Good when he gets moving. I just don't see him as very good stop and start player which is an essential aspect of playing wing.

6. Right now the team is crying out for a 4th line center. I don't think you put McCann in that position. His strength is not grinding it out in the defensive zone. McCann is no doubt the best long term player but he is not suitable now or in the future to be a defensive player. McCann's strength are passing, play making and shooting and I don't see him compatible with players like Prust or Dorsett. However, I see Gaunce being the type of player that can really add to the forechecking those players can provide.

Team recognizes this, to an extent, by saying that the idea of moving Gaunce to the wing was to get him to play a more involved and in your face type of hockey and this would serve him well when he moved back to center.

As it is the Canucks have Sedin, Baertschi, Kenins, Higgins, Virtanen, and Prust who can all play on the left side so there is no real shortage as you stated. Where the team is in real need is on the 4th line at center (so desperate they are considering using Vey there).

To me, Gaunce has played ok on the wing this pre-season but not much better than that. Moreover, I think Gaunce eventual position will be center and I don't see much reason, especially given the present needs of the team, why this isn't, at least, tried now.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Went to the game with my girlfriend since her boss gave her tickets. I was scared considering how boring the other games were, but this one was entertaining, all in all. As someone who doesn't expect this team to compete for the playoffs and hoping for a high pick, I'm less concerned nowadays about the result than I'm of individual play.

Pros:

Horvat - My oh my, is there anything he can't do? He consistently makes chances on the rush, is strong on the puck and keeps winning puck battles. It seems like the play never dies on his stick, only on the stick of his linemates. Too bad he didn't score on his chance in overtime or on the power move off the rush in the 2nd period, but he had a hell of a game.

McCann - I didn't have the opportunity to watch him last time he played, despite the rave reviews, so I was glad to see him today. He didn't stand out to me earlier in training camp but if this is how he plays on a consistent basis, how do you not give him his 9 games? Sure, he still needs to fill out, but he's against Vey right now, and I can't think of a single thing Vey brings that McCann doesn't. McCann is good on the powerplay (what a heads up pass to Bo), can fly, and makes plays. He can get pushed off here and there, but he competes and doesn't get pushed around as much as Vey.

Gaunce - So happy to see him pot one in the net. Noticed him here and there throughout the game along the boards and hustling on the forecheck. Did well to continue the cycle and all. I think he should get a legitimate shot at filling in the LW spot until Higgins returns.

Hutton - Regardless of his assists, this was his best game by far. He always stood out to me in making plays across the neutral zone, getting the puck up, and handling the offensive blue line. He showed plenty of poise with the puck, making passes within inches of opposing sticks, but getting it where he needed to. I really like the tools he brings to the team. With that said, I'm not sure who else does. I would like to see him in the line-up, but for who?

Cons:

Miller - Was that tying goal ugly or what? That just can't happen on that play. Good thing he bailed out his team in the dying seconds, but that could've been a game-winning save instead of a game-savings save if he was just a little better on any of the other 3 goals. I know it's a preseason game, but I sure hope he starts putting a good game together soon.

Grenier - He had a couple good shots but didn't really capitalize on his opportunity with the Sedins, imo. He did go to the net like he should've, but he seemed to have troubles getting open for a pass during the cycle. Since the Sedins play a big cycle game and not just a "throw it on net and pray" style of game, it doesn't seem like a match made in heaven.

Cassels - Noticed him, but only because I was looking for him. I know he didn't have all-star linemates, but that's the whole point of standing out - to show you can improve others around you. Anyway, didn't really do anything bad, but didn't do anything great either. Meh.

At this point, I'd rather have McCann up for his 9 games than Virtanen. But I know management is keen on giving him a chance as well, add Gaunce to the mix, and the locker room is getting to be pretty full. In fact, I rather like the line of Gaunce - Horvat - Vrbata. I'm not so sure if Baertschi was in for Gaunce that he would've scored that goal. It's good to have someone that will crash the net like that and be able to work the boards. Here's my go at a healthy line-up:

D. Sedin - H. Sedin - Burrows
Gaunce - Horvat - Vrbata
Baertschi - Sutter - Hansen
Higgins - McCann - Dorsett
Kenins
Virtanen

Edler - Tanev
Hamhuis - Weber
Bartkowski - Corrado
Hutton

Miller
Markstrom

Don't need Vey, Prust, or Sbisa. Go away. Or send Virtanen to the juniors and keep Prust. Still, Vey and Sbisa, go away. :dunno:

completely disagree about Cassels he wasn't given much ice time and in the limited time he had he made very smart plays he sees the ice so well and has very tricky hands. I would like him to stay with the team.. He is way better than Vey

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
I think there are a number of good reasons for putting Gaunce at 4th line center.

1. I think it will keep him more in the play. One thing I think Gaunce showed in previous seasons was a good ability to channel the puck carrier out of the middle of the ice in the neutral zone. He did the same thing in Junior. I saw it as one of the real strengths in his game. More than this Gaunce is big enough to take up space in the middle of the ice and force the play to outside in the offensive zone allowing you to cut off players along the boards. I watched Gaunce all year in Utica and you could see that he was effective in angling the forecheck when he was in the slot. I believe that if you free him up from doing the grunt work along the boards, you let him use his smarts to direct the play and cut off passes in the offensive zone. I would say that Gaunce has good chance of becoming a good inside to outside player and this he can do better at center.

2. Gaunce is not that nimble. He needs to play more of a flow game and he can do that better from the center position.

3. it has also been my observation from watching him in Utica that Gaunce has very good and heavy shot from the deep slot. I think he can score better from the middle than from coming off the wing.

4. Gaunce is heady player. I rather see him in a position where he can use his smarts rather than being jammed up against the wall.

5. Gaunce hasn't got a great first step. Good when he gets moving. I just don't see him as very good stop and start player which is an essential aspect of playing wing.

6. Right now the team is crying out for a 4th line center. I don't think you put McCann in that position. His strength is not grinding it out in the defensive zone. McCann is no doubt the best long term player but he is not suitable now or in the future to be a defensive player. McCann's strength are passing, play making and shooting and I don't see him compatible with players like Prust or Dorsett. However, I see Gaunce being the type of player that can really add to the forechecking those players can provide.

Team recognizes this, to an extent, by saying that the idea of moving Gaunce to the wing was to get him to play a more involved and in your face type of hockey and this would serve him well when he moved back to center.

As it is the Canucks have Sedin, Baertschi, Kenins, Higgins, Virtanen, and Prust who can all play on the left side so there is no real shortage as you stated. Where the team is in real need is on the 4th line at center (so desperate they are considering using Vey there).

To me, Gaunce has played ok on the wing this pre-season but not much better than that. Moreover, I think Gaunce eventual position will be center and I don't see much reason, especially given the present needs of the team, why this isn't, at least, tried now.

LW is actually weaker than what you have listed. Kenins is likely starting in Utica, Virtanen may only get his 9 games and Baertschi is still a question mark to play a full season in the top 6. So you're left with:

LW: Sedin and Higgins, one of which is already injured. Gaunce has played better than Kenins so far. And Baertschi likely makes the team based on Utica playoffs.

Meanwhile at center, Gaunce needs to compete with:

Henrik Sedin
Brandon Sutter
Bo Horvat

These 3 are a lock to make the team.

Then you have Vey who isn't waiver eligible, but has 1 NHL season already, and McCann who is showing a lot of promise to play this year as well.

Seeing how Gaunce has adjusted really well on the wing and hasn't taken regular faceoffs at the pro-level, I'd be hesitant to put him at center now. I think he has a better chance making the team as a winger, this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad