Post-Game Talk: Preseason continues. Flames 4 @ Canucks 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
We're going to ice a team with 4th liners? Nooooo! The horrors!

They will be overplayed, so yes "the Horror" having to watch Dorsett play up and down the lineup. Watching Sbisa play hockey. Expecting Sutter to produce as a second liner.

Watching the playoffs last year was terrible. This is the kind of hockey you're supporting.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Miller is going to continue his play at the level this preseason has shown and be completely below average. WD will either ride Miller despite his poor play or everything will fall on Markstrom.

Regardless of how poorly Miller plays there's just no replacing his calming veteran presence.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Generally agree with this. Hopefully Corrado earns a spot full-time on that 3rd pairing this year. Putting him with Bartkowski would him do a world of good - at least better than putting him with Sbisa would.

I'd like to see Corrado make it, too. But he's stunk in his NHL games over the last two years and has looked very poor so far this preseason. As much as it would be nice to see a young defender on the roster, there is no point in carrying a bad one who hasn't earned it. Would rather carry Biega if that's the case.

Miller is going to continue his play at the level this preseason has shown and be completely below average. WD will either ride Miller despite his poor play or everything will fall on Markstrom.

The Miller situation is going to get really, really ugly this year.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
I'd like to see Corrado make it, too. But he's stunk in his NHL games over the last two years and has looked very poor so far this preseason. As much as it would be nice to see a young defender on the roster, there is no point in carrying a bad one who hasn't earned it. Would rather carry Biega if that's the case.

The Miller situation is going to get really, really ugly this year.

I thought Biega deserved to stay with the Canucks with the way he played last year - when he got called up.

If management is for real picking players on performance, Biega definitely should be in the running for spot.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Regardless of how poorly Miller plays there's just no replacing his calming veteran presence.

You're right. He'll be sitting beside all the guys on the bench saying "it's all good, calm down guys, sorry I let in those 4 softies, maybe next time?"

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I thought Biega deserved to stay with the Canucks with the way he played last year - when he got called up.

If management is for real picking players on performance, Biega definitely should be in the running for spot.

Yeah, he looks like an NHL player to me. Skates well, decent pass, positionally sound and aggressive with good gap control, extremely physical for his size.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'll wipe my own personal slate with the management team if they dump Sbisa and Vey.

There is on use for them. Even Prust has more use than Vey.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

agree completely. I like Biega.

Roccosvan

Jan 8, 2010
Vancouver
Why in the world would Toronto do it. He's like the exact opposite of the type of player they would grab, especially now that they're heavily invested in analytics and have Babcock as a coach.

Vey is worthless. Almost every single team has one.

To your point Jeremy Morin just got waived. To think we wasted a 2nd on him(vey)... Mgmt needs to stop thinking they are smarter then the rest of the league.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
They will be overplayed, so yes "the Horror" having to watch Dorsett play up and down the lineup. Watching Sbisa play hockey. Expecting Sutter to produce as a second liner.

Watching the playoffs last year was terrible. This is the kind of hockey you're supporting.

Watching playoffs since 2011 has been horrible every year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014

His calming veteran presence?....if we'd had his ' calming veteran presence' down the stretch last year, I doubt we even make the playoffs...that odious comparison between Miller and Lack is destined to continue unfortunately, even though the latter is in Carolina.

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013

Who's expecting Sutter to produce like a 2nd liner?

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
His calming veteran presence?....if we'd had his ' calming veteran presence' down the stretch last year, I doubt we even make the playoffs...that odious comparison between Miller and Lack is destined to continue unfortunately, even though the latter is in Carolina.

He was joking. :)

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Watching playoffs since 2011 has been horrible every year.

Definitely. But wouldn't you say that last year's failure was for reasons that were different? The Canucks iced the better team imo (Flames were missing key players) and lost because the Coach was forcing a system that wasn't working. ie overplaying his roll players or those that were clearly struggling.

I don't see any indication that's going to change with this management. Not sure this is drifting off topic ... But Miller hasn't looked comfortable or reliable to date (among others) and we know that guys the Management and Coaching like get their icetime.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
Definitely. But wouldn't you say that last year's failure was for reasons that were different? The Canucks iced the better team imo (Flames were missing key players) and lost because the Coach was forcing a system that wasn't working. ie overplaying his roll players or those that were clearly struggling.

I don't see any indication that's going to change with this management. Not sure this is drifting off topic ... But Miller hasn't looked comfortable or reliable to date (among others) and we know that guys the Management and Coaching like get their icetime.

Last year was the worst playoff disappointment I can remember.

We played a team that we should have beaten and completely mailed in with a very soft game and a poor effort. It is not even interesting being a surprising team to make the playoffs if we suck that bad.

It is not about Sbisa or Miller or any of the whipping boys people go after. Our best players are past their best before date, we have a soft, stale core that needs an overhaul.

KeninsFan

Fire Benning already
Feb 6, 2012

We played a team that we should have beaten and completely mailed in with a very soft game and a poor effort. It is not even interesting being a surprising team to make the playoffs if we suck that bad.

It is not about Sbisa or Miller or any of the whipping boys people go after. Our best players are past their best before date, we have a soft, stale core that needs an overhaul.

The only thing worse than the playoff performance was the post season evaluation by management.

I can't believe they went into the off-season thinking that the vets were rattled by the CGY crowd and that Ferland was a difference maker. :shakehead

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Who's expecting Sutter to produce like a 2nd liner?

As others have pointed out.

Is it the case, as your many posts seem to suggest, that you're generally pleased with the way things have gone since the change in management?

For my part, I had absolutely no negative opinion towards any of Linden, Benning or Willie when they were hired... and it was only after a fairly reasonable length of time, culminating in the play during the playoffs that I came to feel these are not the kind of people to successfully build and run a strong organization.

There have been a couple of good moves, but there's no real reason that I see to believe that these guys are capable of anything other than diminishing returns.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

I agree that the team most certainly does need to be changed, but I think you're very wrong if you don't find coaching and "the usual wiping boys" to be major culprits for the loss. Given the manner of changes that have happened since then, I don't understand how anyone would have confidence in this management to carry that out correctly.

I couldn't be more pleased to be proven wrong.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012

No i would say 2013 was easily the worst, people just remember the past brighter.

We got swept with a tandem of roberto and then schneider and AV as our coach. We got trolled the final two games where we had the lead and then blew it with minutes left. Nothing is worse than being swept in a playoff round. People wanted av's head on a platter. Most like the flames also favored us on here that round, and found the sharks matchup favorable. I remember the main board claiming the leafs collapse was not as bad as us getting swept because at least they had shown up and were competitive.

Last edited:

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
No i would say 2013 was easily the worst, people just remember the past brighter.

We got swept with a tandem of roberto and then schneider and AV as our coach. We got trolled the final two games where we had the lead and then blew it with minutes left. Nothing is worse than being swept in a playoff round. People wanted av's head on a platter. Most like the flames also favored us on here that round, and found the sharks matchup favorable. I remember the main board claiming the leafs collapse was not as bad as us getting swept because at least they showed up and were competitive.

I wasn't trying to evaluate which one was worse, rather that they happened for different reasons. In 2013 the team just gave up. I didn't get that in 2015 ... it was more like the team was coached into failure.

After 2013 a more experienced GM may have realized that it was on the players and that a major change to the roster had to happen, rather than it being simply a matter of it being all on the Coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille