GWT: Premier League Round 32

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Haha. True. Went back and forth between formations so many times one dropped out. I'll add Firmino then.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yeah. Even the Utd-connection won't be enough.

The United connection will get Young in the team IMO. He’s on the borderline anyway.

For central defenders Utd don't have any go to guy at the moment.

Bailly is the only one who would be considered in a normal year, but can’t stay remotely healthy enough to be considered.

For goalkeepers I was tempted to have Pope. Haven't watched him as often as DDG, but he has been extremely impressive. I do wonder if I went for DDG just because of the name actually.

Nah, de Gea has been straight ridiculous this year. Honestly some of his performances have been getting underrated lately becuase people are expecting him to make ridiculous saves that almost no one else can, and faulting him if he doesn’t.

(Edit: meant to add, the only other keeper I can see with a possible argument would be Ederson based on what his distribution has allowed city to do, but for me that’s not enough to outweigh the otherworldly season de Gea has had.

Last edited:

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Primarily driven by ~77M in CL media money. I wouldn't expect them to see as significant a percentage raise this year given that CL money will go down slightly due to 5 English team splitting the pot and two of them outpacing Spurs in terms of how far they are going.

According to Deloitte's report, Spurs are on pace to increase revenue by nearly another £100M this season. I'd take their numbers with a pinch of salt though.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Aren't those based upon calendar years?

I think there a bit of calendar year stuff involved, but most is tied to league year.

So DFML didn’t include any Spurs CL revenue in the report last year, so their large jump in revenue from last report to this one is based on CL money.

They mention some factors that should lead to an increase this year (better match day from Wembley, continued CL, new kit deal) but it likely won’t be the same ~80m pound increase as from last year.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think there a bit of calendar year stuff involved, but most is tied to league year.

So DFML didn’t include any Spurs CL revenue in the report last year, so their large jump in revenue from last report to this one is based on CL money.

They mention some factors that should lead to an increase this year (better match day from Wembley, continued CL, new kit deal) but it likely won’t be the same ~80m pound increase as from last year.

IqcEfZ4.0.jpg

This guy is actually quite good.

Analyzing Spurs' latest financial report

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
De Gea

Walker - Otamendi - Vertonghen - Robertson

KDB - Fernandinho

Salah - Kane - Firmino - Sane

I think you have to find a way to fit Silva in (instead of Sane probably) as a 4-4-2 he can fit on the left but this is probably the right team.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

That seems pretty fair. Solid growth but not matching the year over year increase of last year. Then next year still good growth but a more maintainable year over year now that the big one time increases (first CL and big match day) are done.

Then continued growth would rely on maintaining top 4 status and building the global brand for marketing reasons.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
That seems pretty fair. Solid growth but not matching the year over year increase of last year. Then next year still good growth but a more maintainable year over year now that the big one time increases (first CL and big match day) are done.

Then continued growth would rely on maintaining top 4 status and building the global brand for marketing reasons.

Correct. The "low hanging fruit" in terms of revenue will then have been taken. Spurs will obviously not overtake teams like Man Utd, RM and Barcelona (basically never). BM depends as much on the Bundesliga vs. the PL as anything else. Considering the size and economical strength of Germany one would expect BM to be out of reach as well. 5th place is more open. City, PSG etc. depending on how much they are subsidized. Spurs are certainly a bigger club than City without blood money. Liverpool are burdened by being based in Liverpool. Arsenal are the real 5th. Maybe Spurs can overtake them with some clever deals with the NFL etc. - without they can't.

In any case Spurs should within the next 2-3 years have enough revenue to at least hold on to their best players more often than not. Spurs won't be able to splash cash like the three big ones, but they might be able to more or less match salaries for players like Kane, Eriksen etc. (if not now - so the next generation). That should be enough to be reasonably competitive on a fairly consistent basis.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kevin de Bruyne seems very likeable to me. It helps that he's an amazing player obviously.

I think KdB will win PotY based on City's season, and Sane will win YPotY.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Also Auba is a better striker than Firmino is. Not calling Roberto a bad player, but Aubameyang is just more capable at scoring goals and should show it next season.

Jamie Vardy is better at scoring goals too. Is he a better striker?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
NFL deal, naming rights for the stadium, Influx of sponsors because of the stadium, etc. At least another £50M IMO.

Not sure if he made a mistake on the match day revenue. He has estimated naming right to be worth 27.5m. Kit and kit sponsor already kicks in this year so no more upside for next.

In any case at £400m Spurs are closing in on 5th in the world. Not sure how much more there is to find of more revenue short term. Can only hope
I guess, but topline looks quite reasonable to me. Not overly optimistic or pessimistic.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Will they have separate pitches for NFL games and Spurs games? Or are they using turf?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad