GWT: Premier League Round 32

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think Tarkowsi is more an indictment of how the rest of the PL defenders have played this year and injuries.

Otamendi is the only who from City who would have an argument and I think he's largely sheltered by how dominant the team has been.
No one from United has been healthy and good enough to warrant consideration, ditto for Liverpool.
Sanchez has played well for Spurs, but not TOTY quality to me.
Chelsea hasn't had anyone on the defensive side play well consistently. (Edit: Maybe Azpi now that I think of it, but still nothing amazing from him)
Arsenal has been a tire fire at the back.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think it's fine. No LB has really stood out much. Could make an argument for Davies/Monreal I guess.

Those two, plus Young are the ones I'd have a clear step ahead of Robertson so far. Not that I think Robertson has been bad or anything, I just think the pressing of Liverpool make it look like he's better than he is because he's always running at players offensively or defensively.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Alonso over Robertson, Kane over Firmino, Otamendi over Tarkowski.

Robertson didn't get to start regularly for quite a while.

Reactions: Fro

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yea I'd take Kane over Firmino too, Kane getting balls in from de Bruyne, Sane, and Silva while defenders also have to worry about Salah would be quite the sight to see.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I think Tarkowsi is more an indictment of how the rest of the PL defenders have played this year and injuries.

Otamendi is the only who from City who would have an argument and I think he's largely sheltered by how dominant the team has been.
No one from United has been healthy and good enough to warrant consideration, ditto for Liverpool.
Sanchez has played well for Spurs, but not TOTY quality to me.
Chelsea hasn't had anyone on the defensive side play well consistently.
Arsenal has been a tire fire at the back.

Whilst I believe Tarkowski is being shielded by Dyche's defensive system. Remember all the plaudits Michael Keane got last season, before securing a move to Everton? Look at him now.

Surely one of Van Dijk, Otamendi, Maguire, Sanchez or Azpilicueta has been better?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Whilst I believe Tarkowski is being shielded by Dyche's defensive system. Remember all the plaudits Michael Keane got last season, before securing a move to Everton? Look at him now.

Surely one of Van Dijk, Otamendi, Maguire, Sanchez or Azpilicueta has been better?

I think you could definitely argue one of them has been better, I just don't think any of them are clearly ahead. It's not so much that I think he definitely deserves TOTY, just that he's in the group of several players who aren't a crazy name to see on it.

I'd say there's 4-5 other names you'd expect to be better than he's been this year but for whatever reason (injuries, transfer issues, pure form drop, etc.) they haven't been.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Savant PL TOTY

GK. David de Gea
RB. Kyle Walker
LB. Andrew Robertson
CB. James Tarkowski
CB. Jan Vertonghen
DM. Fernandinho
CM. David Silva
CM. Kevin De Bruyne
RW. Mo Salah
LW. Leroy Sane
ST. Roberto Firmino

I would take someone over Tarkowski and I would change the formation so you could include Kane.

de Gea
Walker - Azpilicueta - Vertonghen - Robertson
Fernandinho
de Bruyne - Silva
Firmino
Salah - Kane​

Or a flat 4-4-2 with Salah on the right and Silva on the left with Firmino and Kane up front.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Everyone is welcome to post their opinions too. I almost went Otamendi over Tarkowski. Mayne I should I have. Besides that thought about going 442 to get Kane in but didnt really have anyone to drop. Could cheat for 343 with one CB and do that instead; I dont think any CB besides Vertonghen really deserves it honestly. So yeah let's do that.

GK De Gea
DEF Walker
DEF Vertonghen
DEF Otamendi/Robertson
MID Fernandinho
MID De Bruyne
MID David Silva
MID Sane
FWD Firmino
FWD Salah
FWD Kane

Ten of those names I feel pretty good about. Virgil may have be the 11th man of he was at Liverpool all season, but, as of now I wouldn't feel right putting him in there. Maybe next year.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
This makes no sense. Adebayor didn't have his legs broke.

If you want to make a point on just vile chants maybe you should use Spurs' example with their gay chants against Sol Campbell.

Sure.

I would never defend a Spursfan just because I’m one. Idiots are idiots regardless. And I don’t believe the average Spursfan is better than the average any other kind of fan (might be some exceptions where teams like Millwall etc attract “fans” that want to fight etc.).

Just find it a bit silly saying Stoke are worse than others based on one situation - many years ago.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Eriksen? Far better than Kane this season (too the extent they can be compared).

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Eriksen? Far better than Kane this season (too the extent they can be compared).
Eriksen was pretty miserable to start the season. Though he has heated up recently.

Spurs are a team that relies on 4 offensive players, but can get by as long as 2 of them are in good form at a time.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Slow start yes, but let’s not exaggerate.

Agree that he has some tough competition, but should be in any team lining up both Firmino and Kane IMO - much rather have Eriksen. Difficult to say he has to play over De Bruyne, Salah and Silva of course.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Firmino is easily better than Eriksen (and more importantly to this discussion has had a better season), and I've always talked up Eriksen. Kane is also, and more important.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would rather have Robertson and Eriksen than Alonso and Silva, but for team of the season I don't think either of the former belong there.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Firmino is easily better than Eriksen (and more importantly to this discussion has had a better season), and I've always talked up Eriksen. Kane is also, and more important.

Easily? Would question how many times you have watch Spurs this season then. Not even De Bruyne is “easily” better than Eriksen this year.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I agree; from the games I've watched Alonso has been pretty average and is insulated compared to other leftbacks playing in Conte's system with more offensive freedom and less defensive responsibility.
Easily? Would question how many times you have watch Spurs this season then. Not even De Bruyne is “easily” better than Eriksen this year.
Yes, they both are, and I've been watching Eriksen since he was a teenager. I wanted him at Liverpool and I always said he was better than Coutinho even when I still believed in Coutinho's potential. I like Eriksen a lot though. He doesn't deserve to be in TotY over the other players there, on talent or current season.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kind of a pointless discussion of course - hyperbole land again.

Firmino offers more aggression. He is stronger and he can head the ball. As for covering ground they are probably quite similar. Everything else Eriksen is better. Of course they are not playing in the same role, but behind Salah and Kane Eriksen would be the better fit. His vision is superior to Firmino.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Kind of a pointless discussion of course - hyperbole land again.

Firmino offers more aggression. He is stronger and he can head the ball. As for covering ground they are probably quite similar. Everything else Eriksen is better. Of course they are not playing in the same role, but behind Salah and Kane Eriksen would be the better fit. His vision is superior to Firmino.
Firmino is more than just a better athlete. His intelligence and off the ball work are 2nd to none, and especially his off the ball movement (in possession and without) are on a completely different level to Eriksen. He's also just as creative, in different ways, and a better goal scorer.

But weird to see the complaints about 'hyperbole' after saying Eriksen has been 'far better' than Kane this season, or saying you'd 'much rather' have Eriksen than Firmino or Kane.

Again, great player, but not on the level of Firmino or Kane.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad