GWT: Premier League Round 1

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Lets be honest no they would not have punished Spurs and not Spurs should not have come close to losing. You can try to spin a tie but even that would have been an unfair result considering how much better Spurs were.
That's where we will probably disagree, I don't think a tie would've been a fair consensus either, Newcastle had two quality 1v1's with Lloris in the final 5 minutes alone. This isn't even with me bringing up the Kenedy chance was surely a goal if there was a more talented player on the ball there.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
So all of Lovren, Matip, Gomez and Klavan might very well miss the game tomorrow due to injury. That's Liverpool's 2nd to 5th CB, greeeat

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So all of Lovren, Matip, Gomez and Klavan might very well miss the game tomorrow due to injury. That's Liverpool's 2nd to 5th CB, greeeat
It'll be fine. Wijnaldum filled in at CB well last season. I'm confident our midfield and forwards will get the job done regardless.

It'll suck not to have Lovren after the form he has had but he needs the rest anyway.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp isn't wrong to think that LFC has CB depth on paper, but they are all so injury prone.

I'm done with Matip. Klavan is starting to break down physically. Gomez is hurt every season. Virgil and Lovren both can get a tweak now and then too. This is the first time they have all been injured at the simultaneously though. They should move Matip and Klavan out and get someone else.

As for tomorrow, could we see Nat Phillips? Was very good in preseason besides the Torino game. Fabinho is questionable for tomorrow too, and Wijnaldum will probably start in the midfield.

Last edited:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Yeah they'll probably be fine. But like Savant said they all have a history of picking up injuries quite often which is worriesome. And since Fabinho might be gone aswell I guess that leave us with Wijnaldum or Phillips.

Last edited:

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Good result for Newcastle as they get to pretend that Rafa kept it close and that cheap Mike Ashley let them down by not giving him better players to use.

Are you saying that Mike Ashley spent a lot of money this summer, or are you just in such a lather about your own team that you can't write coherently?

Spurs were superior to NUFC in the corresponding fixture last year, and it didn't stop them regressing to the tune of nine points over the season.

As a rule of thumb, if you need to gloat over the failings of Newcastle United- the Premier League's resident sittings ducks- it's because you're not so confident your precious darlings can cope with the clubs that are actually competing in the league rather than existing to be plundered by their owner.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Are you saying that Mike Ashley spent a lot of money this summer, or are you just in such a lather about your own team that you can't write coherently?

Spurs were superior to NUFC in the corresponding fixture last year, and it didn't stop them regressing to the tune of nine points over the season.

As a rule of thumb, if you need to gloat over the failings of Newcastle United- the Premier League's resident sittings ducks- it's because you're not so confident your precious darlings can cope with the clubs that are actually competing in the league rather than existing to be plundered by their owner.

I am not gloating over Newcastle at all I just said we played better than them. Is commenting on the game now considered gloating?

As for the comment I was saying that Ashley spent as little as possible and pocketed the cash as he always does. I was pointing out that the fans can point to that and blame him (deservedly so) for the failings of the team today.

Are you so insecure that you have to jump down the throat of someone for commenting on a game?

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Lol maybe the word 'pretend' means something completely different in your head.

The pretend had to do with Rafa not Ashley. So it means exactly what it means in my head as it does everywhere else. Maybe you should take more time to read and less time trying to be angry about what others write.

Ashley is a shit owner and the fans have every right to hate him and what he did to the club.

Halladay

Feb 27, 2009
H Town
Even though Ox is out, I love the depth Liverpool have in central midfield. Keita, Fabino, Gini, Henderson, Milner, and Lallana are all good options to have.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I always knew that Richarlison had more in him. Marco Silva getting fired last season really affected him.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I feel we're gonna get slaughtered like the league game/EFL final.

Maybe, but this time of year is when you see some unexpected results. I didn't see the Community Shield, but it sounds like City played pretty well. Still some of their best players are just back recently so who knows. That said Arsenal have a new manager and I don't know how their preseason went. Either way now might be the best time for this fixture.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad