GWT: Premier League Round 1

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Opportunity perhaps. Went to Wolves to play a key role for them and they have ambitions of improving and staying in the Premier League. If he plays well and things work out he'll get a lot more notice and a bigger club will poach him.
He was starting for Porto.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Because Porto benched him? Why wouldn't he go where he'll actually play?
Working out for him so far. He was a big part of getting them promoted and now they expect him to help keep them up.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Porto, shockingly wouldn’t promise him 1st team minutes. The move he made to Wolves contrasted many young and promising, but unproven players going to a bigger clubs to rot their development on the bench. I was surprised that he stayed this offseason though.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Because Porto benched him? Why wouldn't he go where he'll actually play?
He played 90+ games before age 20 for Porto... :dunno:
He'd play in several good teams.

But hey, good for you and other Wolves fans !

But his transfer there is much more an agent's job than anything else.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Porto, shockingly wouldn’t promise him 1st team minutes. The move he made to Wolves contrasted many young and promising, but unproven players going to a bigger clubs to rot their development on the bench. I was surprised that he stayed this offseason though.
Which more top young players should be doing really. It's bad for their development and the sport for top young players to go to top clubs just to rot on the bench.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
No... No he wasn't. He fell out of favour. He started for two seasons and then pushed him out.
Again, 90+ games before age 20. That's quite something. Coaches come and go.
Youngest captain in Porto history too.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He played 90+ games before age 20 for Porto... :dunno:
He'd play in several good teams.

But hey, good for you and other Wolves fans !

But his transfer there is much more an agent's job than anything else.
He played less than half the games at Porto in his third season...

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Which more top young players should be doing really. It's bad for their development and the sport for top young players to go to top clubs just to rot on the bench.
Erh.... What do you make of Monaco? Or Porto for that matter?
Some good level teams play young guys and don't let them rot on the bench. And they move to the top 10 teams when they're ready.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Sure. And Porto saw his value drop. He went from £35M to less than £16M. And that was only in a loan with an option to purchase deal because his value fell so much.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Erh.... What do you make of Monaco? Or Porto for that matter?
Some good level teams play young guys and don't let them rot on the bench. And they move to the top 10 teams when they're ready.
Those are the exceptions more than the rule, it's why Monaco is so respected for continuously developing quality players.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
It’s true. And on the day he was named youngest captain it was unimaginable that he would slowly lose his spot. He never dipped in form. It was weird. But for whatever reason, he was getting less and less starts.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
It’s true. And on the day he was named youngest captain it was unimaginable that he would slowly lose his spot. He never dipped in form. It was weird. But for whatever reason, he was getting less and less starts.
I think his public meltdown after being benched contributed to his value drop as well.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
He played less than half the games at Porto in his third season...

I don't know for sure, but I don't think he was injured and it was more of a selection decision. He may have been out of form or it was just the manager's decision, but in the case of the latter it doesn't mean he was bad. I think the issue might have been he only offered up so much defensively. Either way he was a well known quantity and his move to Wolves was down to money/agents/connections.

Reactions: Natey

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Sure. And Porto saw his value drop. He went from £35M to less than £16M. And that was only in a loan with an option to purchase deal because his value fell so much.
Again, it's great for you guys and I'm sure you'll enjoy him playing for your team for as long as possible.

But if Neves had been on the market, Porto would have cashed in much more than 20M€ and the teams proposing wouldn't have played in a second leve league.
That's not a knock on Wolves, but surely, teams like Monaco, Dortmund and others would have easily paid that for him and made him play at a higher level.
Given the "portugese" flavor your team has now, I think it's fair to say it was an agent's job.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I can’t see Neves being cut from the Portuguese national team for too much longer. They took Adrien Silva and Manuel Fernandes to the World Cup instead.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Again, it's great for you guys and I'm sure you'll enjoy him playing for your team for as long as possible.

But if Neves had been on the market, Porto would have cashed in much more than 20M€ and the teams proposing wouldn't have played in a second leve league.
That's not a knock on Wolves, but surely, teams like Monaco, Dortmund and others would have easily paid that for him and made him play at a higher level.
Given the "portugese" flavor your team has now, I think it's fair to say it was an agent's job.
How do you figure he wasn't on the market? Mendes is bringing clients to Wolves attention, but he's not going to undersell his clients and take less money for himself. Get real. If people would have paid €25M, Neves wouldn't be part of Wolves.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Get real yourself buddy.
If he had been on the market, he would have been sold for way more. And Mendes is getting some nice money from chinese owners, so he'll make that up easily.

Look at the transfers for youngsters. Monaco just paid 20M for a 15 year old. You think they wouldn't pay 20 for Neves?

Seriously man.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Does it matter? Who cares?

That's the reality of world football, and it happens in transfers big and small. The need to harp on it is bizarre.

Reactions: bluesfan94

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
A lot of top teams thus far has struggled for me, the World Cup is looking like its taking its toll. Even Chelsea looked lazy and took advantage from an extremely poor Huddersfield club who had zero pace. The worst was by far the Spurs, holy crap if it wasn't for Lloris Newcastle could have easily won that game from all their chances - just poor finishing.

What a lovely atmosphere from Wolves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad