GWT: Premier League Match day 29

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
He picked the players. He sets them up with bad tactics. Sure, he isn’t on the pitch, but at some point, they tune him out. They should’ve moved on this past summer. As it stands now, it’s a multi year rebuild. Unlike when Spurs had to rebuild, they don’t have a player or two to sell for a kings ransom abroad.
He talks to the 4th official more than to his own team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Rofl. Clearly the players managed to play well under such a poor coach in that game (at home).
Well they had Alexis go superman on both goals.

And that was when Spurs were in poor form themselves. They were dropping points at Wembley even.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Well they had Alexis go superman on both goals.

Lol what? Rofl.

That was as dominated more or less as I have seen Spurs this season (maybe Dortmund was as bad).

But if you want to believe it is only Wenger then so be it. It is easier I guess because then you just got to replace him and not more or less the whole team.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Lol what? Rofl.

That was as dominated more or less as I have seen Spurs this season (maybe Dortmund was as bad).

But if you want to believe it is only Wenger then so be it. It is easier I guess because then you just got to replace him and not more or less the whole team.
But Wenger was the one who bought all the players with his approval. He sets up the team and formations with no input from anyone else.

Wenger IS the main issue because he set up garbage tactics with crap players that he's bought.

Reactions: S E P H

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
But Wenger was the one who bought all the players with his approval. He sets up the team and formations with no input from anyone else.

Wenger IS the main issue because he set up garbage tactics with crap players that he's bought.

I really don’t know what that means. You believe every performance, good or bad, is purely down to the manager?

As I have already said. It is a question of degree. Wenger isn’t as good as Guardiola these days - all I’m saying it isn’t only him.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I really don’t know what that means. You believe every performance, good or bad, is purely down to the manager?

As I have already said. It is a question of degree. Wenger isn’t as good as Guardiola these days - all I’m saying it isn’t only him.
Not in all cases, no. For example it would be misguided to blame Pardew for the mess West Brom are in when they were already crap beforehand.

But in Wenger's case, yes absolutely. He's been here since 1996. He's bought all the players. He oversees everything. He keeps playing the same underperforming players over and over again without changing his tactics. He's handpicked everyone from the training staff to the youth team coaches. So yes, it is purely down to him.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
With the zinchenko tackle, I’d say it’s a red, but it’s very hard for Oliver to give it direct. No one was really screaming for the red, and the studs were up away from Oliver. He needs help from his assistant on that.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I know it’s Conte, but the capitulation and lack of any desire to try and take the game to City is disgusting.

Chelsea won the title last season. Sure, City are a ton clear, but have some stones and give it a go. It looks like the plan for Conte is to only get beat by 3.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I feel like Chelsea were not even this defensive and impotent against Barcelona. Shots are 10 to 1...75% possession for City. Yikes.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Embarrassing watching the heads of the Chelsea players. City can be opened up on the CA, but the lack of effort to win the ball is quite appalling. That is not down to not having a striker.

Also so often when they win the ball they don’t seem to care. So slow to make themselves available for a pass.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Embarrassing watching the heads of the Chelsea players. City can be opened up on the CA, but the lack of effort to win the ball is quite appalling. That is not down to not having a striker.

Also so often when they win the ball they don’t seem to care. So slow to make themselves available for a pass.

The issue that not having a striker is that we've had no one to hold up the ball, which means that when it's played forward from the back it's right back to City. The issue on the counters hasn't been a lack of effort to win the ball, it's been just constantly misplaying passes. Pedro has had so many stinkers, Willian's had a few as well.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The issue that not having a striker is that we've had no one to hold up the ball, which means that when it's played forward from the back it's right back to City. The issue on the counters hasn't been a lack of effort to win the ball, it's been just constantly misplaying passes. Pedro has had so many stinkers, Willian's had a few as well.

Correct. But it also means you got one more player to play a short pass to.

Obviously that isn’t working so I agree with you trying something else - even if I don’t mind the initial strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad