GWT: Premier League Match day 29

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
How long have I been saying Hazard should have never signed for Chelsea. He spent the majority of his career on a defensive team playing 11 men behind the ball.
He could have established himself as a top 4 player if he had gone to an offensive team years ago.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
How long have I been saying Hazard should have never signed for Chelsea. He spent the majority of his career on a defensive team playing 11 men behind the ball.
He could have established himself as a top 4 player if he had gone to an offensive team years ago.
"I see some values on players, like Hazard for instance. To me it was a lot of money. He's a good player, but £34m?

-Sir Alex Fergusion (2012)

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
"I see some values on players, like Hazard for instance. To me it was a lot of money. He's a good player, but £34m?

-Sir Alex Fergusion (2012)

At the time it was a steal ( as I said when the transfer happened, the world missed out) but man looking back he went for nothing in comparison to the tragedy(literally) of the market today.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Chelsea just doesn't have enough quality. Forcing Costa out was a big mistake that required Chelsea to adapt their play, and they couldn't. One key theme this season with the successful teams has been that they don't have a lot of older players in attack. Look at what Chelsea started today. Young legs are winning the day this season.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
I'm rather amazed how poorly Chelsea are doing this season compared to last, considering all the signings they made to fill the many holes they had.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
The Arsenal result isn't totally surprising, I actually expected them to lose at this point. Right now I'm thinking back to when Liverpool played them right before the transfer window shut, with a back three of Monreal, Koscielny, and Holding. We all know they were ripped apart, that's not the part I want to bring up. It's the part where Wenger didn't do anything to address the situation before the window closed. I remember him getting ripped for his reaction to the 8-2 against Manchester United, but they did sign players they needed and still finished top four. Perhaps it's market inflation that now does not allow for that, but I think it's crazy that this happened multiple times in multiple seasons before the transfer window closed. I mean if Wenger thought their defense was good enough, he is genuinely delusional. Moreover there's rarely ever any quality youth on the bench these days, and there's certainly not anyone on the bench who you'd want starting games for Arsenal (other than Bellerin, who shouldn't have been on the bench at all).

This is going to be a long rebuilding job, because they can't go out and buy the quality that City could to replace their defense all in one go. It's going to take some time and some of the signings they make won't be that great, that's how football goes. I see that they've conceded 41 goals already which is incredible. Lately they've shipped 4 to Nottingham Forest, 3 against Swansea, 2 against Brighton, 2 against Ostersund, 2 against Bournemouth. That should never happen, and there are teams who have conceded goals like that before, but the team has to be so much better going forward if they're going to play that loose at the back.

Which job is more attractive to Ancelotti, Chelsea or Arsenal? Keep in mind who owns Chelsea.

Chelsea. They lack quality in some positions, but they definitely have more quality, and they have a player a manager can use to win big trophies. Ancelotti has never been a long term project guy, Arsenal and him don't go together at all.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Which job is more attractive to Ancelotti, Chelsea or Arsenal? Keep in mind who owns Chelsea.
Ancelotti was already at Chelsea.

Me personally, I wouldn’t want to be the guy following Wenger. I would be the guy after that guy though.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Ancelotti was already at Chelsea.

Me personally, I wouldn’t want to be the guy following Wenger. I would be the guy after that guy though.

The guy after Wenger is very likely to fail massively. That's happened at every other big club. Bears pointing out that the media is already all over Mkhitaryan for playing poorly and one of the things expected of any new manager will be to not sign anyone in any attacking position (because look at the wages for the attackers already there) and get them playing great football again. They also lost 50 mil in CL revenue for not getting to R16 this year and will lose 50 mil again for not doing it next year. No idea what impact that will have on their budget, but that was money Wenger had to play with in the market that is no longer there.

As far as players poor form goes, it could turn out that Wenger simply no longer has standards. Mkhitaryan said something about the atmosphere at Arsenal being better for players than Manchester United's. Well look at the table if you think what he said is relevant to a team being successful in any way at all. Klopp talks about how Liverpool's squad gets along too well and he needs to find a way to get them angry about something.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Newport gave Spurs a better fight than Chelsea gave City. City are good, but Chelsea definitely closer to City than Newport are to Spurs.

You could see at the end that it is possible to create chances against City. Chelsea could and should have done much better.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad