Premier League 2020-21 (Part III)

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
It’s impressive how awful the NBC panel is.

I'm not sure how NBC picks them. I get using former American players, but I don't know by which standard or characteristic they pick out random Brits to fill their pundit allotment. Danny Higginbotham was an average player at best, and he doesn't strike me as particularly eloquent or insightful either.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It’s impressive how awful the NBC panel is.

it went from great to terrible quickly. It was really really good in the first couple years NBC took over.

It’s not just the panel. They’ve pivoted away from meaningful debate and into the shit posting Espn style crap. It’s been a clear editorial shift.

Reactions: Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
it went from great to terrible quickly. It was really really good in the first couple years NBC took over.

It’s not just the panel. They’ve pivoted away from meaningful debate and into the shit posting Espn style crap. It’s been a clear editorial shift.
It’s really a shame. The Atlantic and podcasts are the only place to get good news.

I use Hot Mic for a lot of the game commentary now too.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street

It was never great to begin with

It's just gotten worse

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
It was never great to begin with

It's just gotten worse

I think the content was good the first 2-3 seasons. They did a lot of informative pieces, and in the pre-game/hafl time shows focused on the tactics.

It went from

"How has Bruno's arrival changed United's setup?" (5 mins of footage/explanations)

to

"Is bruno the best MF of all time in the PL? Gerrard and Lampard probably have a say. Chaps, what do you think"

Reactions: Power Man

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp looks like Barack Obama in late 2015 right now, compared to how both looked when they started off in the job.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Dean deserved a suspension for how he handled the Soucek red. Right call was made to reverse so at least that part of the system is working. The death threats are just beyond ridiculous and i hope the police are able to track each and every one of them. Cannot have that go unchecked.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
It is an exceptionally stupid choice of 2 questions. Dude doesn't suffer fools gladly when he's in a bad mood.

I don't mind managers "losing it" at times. I rather see that than the robotic clichés being thrown around 10 out of 10 times. I also believe that Klopp deservedly has built up some "goodwill" in terms of how he is treated, but still funny how some are the "good guy" and some are the "bad".

I guess in a way I'm happy so little has been said about it. Hopefully the courtesy is extended to others later.

As for Klopp something seems off. He reminds me a bit of how Pochettino turned sour. Drip by drip he just changed. Not saying Klopp is definitely finished at Liverpool. I don't think that is the most likely outcome at all, but funny how things can quickly change in football. Even if the probability of a complete collapse is still fairly low. And they are not playing WBA until May :D

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I don't mind managers "losing it" at times. I rather see that than the robotic clichés being thrown around 10 out of 10 times. I also believe that Klopp deservedly has built up some "goodwill" in terms of how he is treated, but still funny how some are the "good guy" and some are the "bad".

I guess in a way I'm happy so little has been said about it. Hopefully the courtesy is extended to others later.

As for Klopp something seems off. He reminds me a bit of how Pochettino turned sour. Drip by drip he just changed. Not saying Klopp is definitely finished at Liverpool. I don't think that is the most likely outcome at all, but funny how things can quickly change in football. Even if the probability of a complete collapse is still fairly low. And they are not playing WBA until May :D

Well I've never had a problem with Mourinho or how he acts toward the media. But I'd argue that Mourinho is 100% closer to the sack at Spurs than Klopp is to it at Liverpool.

Having followed Klopp's career for 15 years or so now, I'd say that he hasn't 'turned sour', he's simply in a bad mood because his team's in a rut. He's always been chippy and got into it with journos after bad games. There's some memorable clips of exchanges between him and German media types after losses back at Mainz and Dortmund, including a series of exchanges with a local reporter from the regional TV station in Mainz who always happened to cover the games that Mainz ended up losing. Klopp started out jokingly complaining about this guy being bad luck, but some of those exchanges got testy enough that you realize he was actually somewhat serious. As in it, the dude's presence really pissed him off.

In Germany there's a large subsection of Bayern fans who always hated Klopp as essentially the leading face of their main rival and who you could tell felt personally attacked by the fact that Klopp is beloved by a fairly broad majority. The same thing is happening in England with Liverpool's rivals. But the one thing that's different is that Liverpool and everything they do are far more scrutinized than what Dortmund do, so it's all going to be even more magnified.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean, I would hope Jose is closer to being fired than Klopp given that Kloop won the league last year, the CL the year before that, and is forced to start midfielders at CB every game.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Klopp would be closer to leaving by his own choice (which he isn’t) than he would be to getting sacked.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Klopp would be closer to leaving by his own choice (which he isn’t) than he would be to getting sacked.
In theory I would agree. Liverpool should stick with Klopp for as long as they can.
However, we've seen coaches get canned when they get into a fight with their ownership.
And I could totally see Klopp having enough of a temper to whine about his bosses if he's not happy about transfers or something.

So I would never bet against a coach being fired, under any circumstance.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I could only see Klopp going if no Top 4 and no fans next season. Don’t think that would guarantee it but that would be the scenario. But Both of these things are also possible to happen too.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean, I would hope Jose is closer to being fired than Klopp given that Kloop won the league last year, the CL the year before that, and is forced to start midfielders at CB every game.
For sure, I mean despite what Roy Keane might say, it’s kind of a big deal.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just 6 months ago Pep was "on the hot seat" life comes at you fast. This will most likely be forgotten in a few months, once they get healthy and win.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I'm not sure how NBC picks them. I get using former American players, but I don't know by which standard or characteristic they pick out random Brits to fill their pundit allotment. Danny Higginbotham was an average player at best, and he doesn't strike me as particularly eloquent or insightful either.

His wife is from Philadelphia, he’s about to start working on Philadelphia Union broadcasts, and he recently moved to the USA.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Good thing Klopp is not Mourinho :)

So we didn’t know this at the time, but as posted in the other thread, Klopp’s mother died 9 due to Covid complications, and he was unable to go to the funeral (which was yesterday) due to the travel restrictions into Germany. It wasn’t widely know that she was ill but Klopp had lost his father when he was younger and was very close with his mother so you just never know what is going on behind the scenes. Awful news.

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Bailly training again with the team this week and being on the bench means we're getting closer to not seeing Lindelöf "dominating airspace and physical battles".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad