Premier League 2020-21 (Part III)

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I fully accept Refs are (probably) good people and don't deserve abuse. But they aren't good at their job and are over protected. They aren’t sympathetic figures.
100%. They’re always going to make mistakes because they’re human and no one is perfect. But I do find it laughable that this current crop of referees that are the worst at their job compared to all the other leagues need a support campaign because they can’t take the criticism of their poor job.

Reactions: Savant

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
What are your most irritable 1st team?
Here's mine.

Striker:
Harry Kane
Dirty trickster, He even has his own trademark foul where he waits for the ball in the air and go down to the player knees to draw a foul. Also strong as an ox except when in a scoring position now he drops down easily.

Left wing:
Jack Grealish
Impossible to not have him on this team. He is the most fouled player in premier league history after all. He is always either holding on too long on the ball or on the floor to draw a foul. No in between.

AMC:
Bruno Fernandes.
The guy is very talented but man the guy antic when he goes down is downright brutal. He will give a hearful to the referee everytime he goes down and the closer the game (or when Manchester United are losing) it is the worst it get. He even look like crying when he goes down. I am shocked he has never been booked by any referee. If I was a referee I would instant book him the moment he comes to me talk with me or at least get a caution.

Right winger:
Mohamed Salah.
The worst diver in premier league history? The guy has zero acting skill. When he goes down for a foul with his arms up in the air it is impossible to call a foul. It looks so ridiculous and deliberate. I am astonished he has not learned over the years that it makes him look ridiculous.

Midfielder:
Fernandinho.
The king of cynical fouling. You have a chance to get the ball and go on a counter attack..not with him on the field. He will get the instant cynical foul. He has mastered that skill and he is possibly the best at it in all football.

Conor Gallagher.
He is the best player on an awful team but he also has the worst antic on that team. He will always try to draw fouls. If his team is winning (that does not happen often) he will make sure to waste as much time possible with fake injuries.

Left back.
Lucas Digne,
Another player that like to give a hearful to the ref when he disagree with a call. I am not sure if it's his french origins but he cannot keep his mouth shut. Even the smallest no call or unimpactful decision he will have to say something to the referee.

Center back:
Harry Maguire.
The second Harry on the list and another obvious one. He is a very dirty player in nature but he somehow never get called for it. By example his foul on Batshuayi that deserved a red or his foul on Azpilicueta that deserved a penalty. But what about the audacity to call out a referee in post match interview when he does not get a call his way.

David Luiz.
He is a bit like Fernandinho with his cynical fouling but unlike Fernandinho he is so bad to get away with it. In term of timing, he will more often than not get red carded for it or leak penalties.

Right back:
Probably the toughest position to identify a player so I will give it to my guy TAA.
He is bad in his timing and will always give bad fouls or penalties. He can be sometime be over agressive and other time way too passive. A very frustrating player to watch.

Goalkeeper:
Jordan Pickford.
He is the Tim Thomas of the premier league. He will be very agressive with his tackles/punching. Surprisingly, he has not yet be called on a red card. It is bound to happen at somepoint.

Honorable mention to : Vardy, Richarlison, Zaha, Martial, Shaw, Walker, Maddison, Xhaka, Dier.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Here's mine.

Striker:
Harry Kane
Dirty trickster, He even has hiw own trademark foul where he waits for the ball in the air and go down to the player knees to draw a foul. Also strong as an ox except when in a scoring position now he drops down easily.

Left wing:
Jack Grealish
Impossible to not have him on this team. He is the most fouled player in premier league history after all. He is always either holding on too long on the ball or on the floor to draw a foul. No in between.

AMC:
Bruno Fernandes.
The guy is very talented but man the guy antic when he goes down is downright brutal. He will give a hearful to the referee everytime he goes down and the closer the game (or when Manchester United are losing) it is the worst it get. He even look like crying when he goes down. I am shocked he has never been booked by any referee. If I was a referee I would instant book him the moment he comes to me talk with me or at least get a caution.

Right winger:
Mohamed Salah.
The worst diver in premier league history? The guy has zero acting skill. When he goes down for a foul with his arms up in the air it is impossible to call a foul. It looks so ridiculous and deliberate. I am astonished he has not learned over the years that it makes him look ridiculous.

Midfielder:
Fernandinho.
The king of cynical fouling. You have a chance to get the ball and go on a counter attack..not with him on the field. He will get the instant cynical foul. He has mastered that skill and he is possibly the best at it in all football.

Conor Gallagher.
He is the best player on an awful team but he also has the worst antic on that team. He will always try to draw fouls. If his team is winning (that does not happen often) he will make sure to waste as much time possible with fake injuries.

Left back.
Lucas Digne,
Another player that like to give a hearful to the ref when he disagree with a call. I am not sure if it's his french origins but he cannot keep his mouth shut. Even the smallest no call or unimpactful decision he will have to say something to the referee.

Center back:
Harry Maguire.
The second Harry on the list and another obvious one. He is a very dirty player in nature but he somehow never get called for it. By example his foul on Batshuayi that deserved a red or his foul on Azpilicueta that deserved a penalty. But what about the audacity to call out a referee in post match interview when he does not get a call his way.

David Luiz.
He is a bit like Fernandinho with his cynical fouling but unlike Fernandinho he is so bad to get away with it. In term of timing, he will more often than not get red carded for it or leak penalties.

Right back:
Probably the toughest position to identify a player so I will give it to my guy TAA.
He is bad in his timing and will always give bad fouls or penalties. He can be sometime be over agressive and other time way too passive. A very frustrating player to watch.

Goalkeeper:
Jordan Pickford.
He is the Tim Thomas of the premier league. He will be very agressive with his tackles/punching. Surprisingly, he has not yet be called on a red card. It is bound to happen at somepoint.

Honorable mention to : Vardy, Richarlison, Zaha, Martial, Shaw, Walker, Maddison, Xhaka, Dier.
Imagine saying :
I am not sure if it's his egyptian/english/brasilian/portugese origins but he cannot keep his mouth shut.
Wouldn't that be blatant racism?

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Who wants to become a ref? I have known quite a few refs reffing at a high level. One of them in the CL for years (mainly as a linesman at CL level I believe). Him I knew quite well some years ago and he was a truly nice man. The others have all been borderline something. I don't want to call the, psychopaths, but clearly not completely "normal". One who I believe is still reffing in the Norwegian "Premier League" I used to play with for some years (he became a ref after retiring as a player). He has the right background of course having played himself at a decent level, but boy what an a#"%%"%#. Of all the players I have played with through my life he is by far the most annoying and arrogant. A coincidence he wanted to become a ref?

All very anecdotal, but to me it just seems like a there is a self selection bias problem when it comes to refs in football. I just wish we gave the good ones more credit.

I have taken my courses by the way - as part of being a coach. I have even reffed a couple of games (at a very low level of course). I wouldn't say it is that difficult for most of the time, but boy when you get into tricky situations and the game gets out of hand there really isn´t any way back. I can only imagine how difficult that is at PL level - both in terms of the speed of the game, but also the egos on the pitch.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Imagine saying :
I am not sure if it's his egyptian/english/brasilian/portugese origins but he cannot keep his mouth shut.
Wouldn't that be blatant racism?
I am Quebecer myself (native franco) and work for a french company with french people (obviously). So I talk with them everyday, It's more of a banter. French people (generalizing obviously from my experience they love talking and complain a lot). Sorry if you are shocked. It was just a joke and pure banter.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Frankly I don't care.
Just find it plain ridiculous to generalize. And again, you can't do this for many other nationalities.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
Frankly I don't care.
Just find it plain ridiculous to generalize. And again, you can't do this for many other nationalities.
I also have Algerian origins and I have read/heard a bunch of ridiculous racist take on Zidane from french people themselves after the 2006 World Cup headbutt.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Who wants to become a ref? I have known quite a few refs reffing at a high level. One of them in the CL for years (mainly as a linesman at CL level I believe). Him I knew quite well some years ago and he was a truly nice man. The others have all been borderline something. I don't want to call the, psychopaths, but clearly not completely "normal". One who I believe is still reffing in the Norwegian "Premier League" I used to play with for some years (he became a ref after retiring as a player). He has the right background of course having played himself at a decent level, but boy what an a#"%%"%#. Of all the players I have played with through my life he is by far the most annoying and arrogant. A coincidence he wanted to become a ref?

All very anecdotal, but to me it just seems like a there is a self selection bias problem when it comes to refs in football. I just wish we gave the good ones more credit.

I have taken my courses by the way - as part of being a coach. I have even reffed a couple of games (at a very low level of course). I wouldn't say it is that difficult for most of the time, but boy when you get into tricky situations and the game gets out of hand there really isn´t any way back. I can only imagine how difficult that is at PL level - both in terms of the speed of the game, but also the egos on the pitch.

I am becoming an official in a different sport I will not, never will name so as not to lose my anonymity. But it starts as a love for the sport and then for some people turns into something different. Unfortunately the other problem is that hardly anyone wants to do it and that's why we have this situation.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Gallagher is an absolute bastard - good for a yellow card most matches, total pest - and I love him all the more for it. He's got a grit that this Chelsea side is really lacking. Could be Brad Marchand-esque.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Imagine not picking Andy Robertson as the most annoying LB heh

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Imagine Roy Keane playing in the social media era :laugh: holy shit he’d be hated so much more than he already is lol.

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
Here's mine.

Striker:
Harry Kane
Dirty trickster, He even has his own trademark foul where he waits for the ball in the air and go down to the player knees to draw a foul. Also strong as an ox except when in a scoring position now he drops down easily.

Left wing:
Jack Grealish

AMC:
Bruno Fernandes.

Right winger:
Mohamed Salah.

Midfielder:
Fernandinho.

Conor Gallagher.

Left back.
Lucas Digne,

Center back:
Harry Maguire.

David Luiz.

Right back:

Goalkeeper:
Jordan Pickford.

Azplicueta is the obvious choce for RB. That tucked shirt just sends it over the top

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I am becoming an official in a different sport I will not, never will name so as not to lose my anonymity. But it starts as a love for the sport and then for some people turns into something different. Unfortunately the other problem is that hardly anyone wants to do it and that's why we have this situation.

Hey you wanna do a job for crappy pay where someone is gonna be super pissed at you no matter what decision you make?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Hey you wanna do a job for crappy pay where someone is gonna be super pissed at you no matter what decision you make?
I reffed soccer games in middle and high school and it was one of the worst jobs ever. The pay(for that age) really isn't too bad, but getting berated by parents who have no clue what they're talking about week after week gets pretty old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad