Premier League 2019-20 Part III

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hasenhüttl is the next Pochettino btw. I want Arsenal to sign him as manager in the future if Arteta doesn’t convince.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I always felt a good comparison for Maguire was a prime Gary Cahill. Now some of you may recall the time he marked his own defender in a CL game vs PSG. Maguire marked his own man here:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Hasenhüttl is the next Pochettino btw. I want Arsenal to sign him as manager in the future if Arteta doesn’t convince.

I think you're selling him a little short. He's Jose Mourinho in being able to squeeze every last ounce of blood from whatever stone he is working with. But without being an absolute asshole about it. If Southampton is smart they will NEVER let him go. Hassenhuttl is gonna probably be the only thing that keeps them from being relegated indefinitely. I think Southampton has a real shot at a top 10 finish next year.

With even a modest budget perhaps they can even challenge for titles in domestic competition

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I think you're selling him a little short. He's Jose Mourinho in being able to squeeze every last ounce of blood from whatever stone he is working with. But without being an absolute asshole about it. If Southampton is smart they will NEVER let him go. Hassenhuttl is gonna probably be the only thing that keeps them from being relegated indefinitely. I think Southampton has a real shot at a top 10 finish next year
Southampton might be the hardest working team this year, their press is absolutely relentless. They have a lot of physical skill in that squad which allows them to run all game, but I think they need some more technical ability to do much better than they are right now. They need to do some smart business in the transfer market and find some undervalued but high skilled players to supplement their team.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Southampton might be the hardest working team this year, their press is absolutely relentless. They have a lot of physical skill in that squad which allows them to run all game, but I think they need some more technical ability to do much better than they are right now. They need to do some smart business in the transfer market and find some undervalued but high skilled players to supplement their team.

Pretty much. This is far from a good example because Arsenal won't let themselves get poached by an EPL team but they loaned Eddie Nketiah for a brief spell to Leeds United and it says to me he isn't someone they absolutely cannot part with for any reason. Not unless he's part of their plans to rebuild their striker corps. Last I checked makes like 15,000 a week. The guy has all the untapped talent you could ever want and it's players like him that Southampton should be targeting. Hassenhuttl could realistically get 10 goals out of him and it would be a welcome help for Danny Ings. Decent production at decent coin.

Moneyball

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I think you're selling him a little short. He's Jose Mourinho in being able to squeeze every last ounce of blood from whatever stone he is working with. But without being an absolute asshole about it. If Southampton is smart they will NEVER let him go. Hassenhuttl is gonna probably be the only thing that keeps them from being relegated indefinitely. I think Southampton has a real shot at a top 10 finish next year.

With even a modest budget perhaps they can even challenge for titles in domestic competition
Pochettino is a better manager than Mourinho

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
TBH I'd be surprised if he even stayed that long.

Not because I think he'll fail or anything, but staying that long at a single club is incredibly rare, especially for a manager who has high demands of his players.

Same with Guardiola staying beyond his current contract.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011

Not because I think he'll fail or anything, but staying that long at a single club is incredibly rare, especially for a manager who has high demands of his players.

I hope he stays, I respect the managers that don't only build a winner, but sustain that success to a new group of players. And while 4 years isn't a terribly long time, some of the top players would begin to show their age. Too many jump ship before they have to take on that challenge.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Pep is a nomad he's a goner soon.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I hope he stays, I respect the managers that don't only build a winner, but sustain that success to a new group of players. And while 4 years isn't a terribly long time, some of the top players would begin to show their age. Too many jump ship before they have to take on that challenge.

In 4 years Liverpool will have had to replace, or significantly augment, basically their entire front 7 as well as VVD and maybe Allison too. So yea it would be pretty cool to see Klopp stay through that, but I just don't see that happening for a variety of reasons.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
In 4 years Liverpool will have had to replace, or significantly augment, basically their entire front 7 as well as VVD and maybe Allison too. So yea it would be pretty cool to see Klopp stay through that, but I just don't see that happening for a variety of reasons.
Agreed. He's either going to leave a bit early, or run this core through and then leave. While I'm no United fan, I do wish we'd see another SAF instead of endless mercenaries.

Before the Liverpool fans come after me, Klopp is much less a mercenary than someone like Pep. The managers are obsessed with projects of building a winner, but the project of sustaining a winner is sometimes more challenging than actually building one.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
So it sounds like Klopp is going to leave Liverpool in 2024 when his contract expires. Lol.
Why lol? The Liverpool fans have know this and this is good because Liverpool can plan an exit strategy. Klopp was going to go before 2024, but he extended. He has earned the right to do what he wants.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I definitely think Klopp is more likely to stay for a while than Pep. Klopp also has more leeway at Liverpool than Pep does at City right now.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I definitely think Klopp is more likely to stay for a while than Pep. Klopp also has more leeway at Liverpool than Pep does at City right now.
Pep only has a year or 2 before he jumps. It won't be long before he's managed more games at City than Barca.

I sort of wish Klopp extends longer and becomes that SAF figure who keeps Liverpool that constant player at the top. The league would be more enjoyable IMO, instead of just playing musical chairs for which big club has the right mix of players and manager.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp wants to do other things besides manage Liverpool. It’s very fair and very human. High profile manager jobs take a lot out of people. Liverpool fans have known Klopp has an end date. Luckily this isn’t going to be a situation like (for example) Ferguson has when he left United with the short notice and forced Moyes replacement. It’s bad kept secret that Klopp going to run his contract down, take a year off and they maybe he coaches Germany at the World Cup. Maybe another national team, who knows.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Pep only has a year or 2 before he jumps. It won't be long before he's managed more games at City than Barca.

I sort of wish Klopp extends longer and becomes that SAF figure who keeps Liverpool that constant player at the top. The league would be more enjoyable IMO, instead of just playing musical chairs for which big club has the right mix of players and manager.
He already did though. The 2024 date was his extension. Klopp has always wanted to know when the finish line is. Klopp only Extended to 2024 in December.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He already did though. The 2024 date was his extension. Klopp has always wanted to know when the finish line is. Klopp only Extended to 2024 in December.
There is a big difference between what SAF accomplished and what Klopp would do through this deal. While Klopp staying through this deal would be almost unheard of in today's game, he would still be mostly relying on his current core group of players. He'll have to add some along the way, but he won't have to fully transition to a brand new core to still win in 2024 IMO. If he stays through 2026 and past that and still wants to win, then he'd have to fully transition to a new core, that's what I hope to see.

I realize that's unlikely to happen, I just wish we see a manager do that at some point. Stay 10+ years at a club and in that duration build winners with multiple different core groups.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad