Premier League 2019-20 Part III

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Honestly Newcastle getting bought over would be kind of cool. It still sucks that this is the way soccer is trending but it’ll be better than this happening with City as they have such a poor fan base that even with all the success is quite poor, especially for a big team. On the other hand if Newcastle does become a powerhouse team they have a fantastic fan base that even when they struggle they are passionate and will create an even better atmosphere for bigger games.

Reactions: Cassano

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
But it kinda sucks for the true fans they have today who will be lumped in with the army of plastic glory hunters that will surely be coming in droves.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think you'll see as many glory hunters.

Some of that might depend on what walks through the door with the purchase. I would hope ownership does reasonable improvements with a site to move up towards the top of the table. More so than spending tons of money on superstars. I think progressive improvements, sound investments and finding players who work hard while doing it will fit the nature of supporters.

Though I do know after a long time of getting basically screwed, there certainly will be many who will be excited to just see a better product and Ashley gone.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014

Some of that might depend on what walks through the door with the purchase. I would hope ownership does reasonable improvements with a site to move up towards the top of the table. More so than spending tons of money on superstars. I think progressive improvements, sound investments and finding players who work hard while doing it will fit the nature of supporters.

Though I do know after a long time of getting basically screwed, there certainly will be many who will be excited to just see a better product and Ashley gone.
If they spend to the degree City did and start to win trophies, their “fanbase” will be at least 10x what it is now. I almost want to check their follower numbers on social media platforms and remember to check those numbers in a couple of years, but I won’t remember.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
But it kinda sucks for the true fans they have today who will be lumped in with the army of plastic glory hunters that will surely be coming in droves.
I guess. But it's still different I think as City never had the passion for the sport and team that Geordies have for Newcastle and especially Alan Shearer.

My roommate is Newcastle fan and talking about the situation he definitely wants to focus on the youth academy and pro scouting first over just throwing money at big names. I have no clue how the money would be spent if the takeover happens, but I think investing in youth and truly building from the ground up would lead to the most success. But who knows how this takeover will go, it isn't guaranteed success.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Honestly Newcastle getting bought over would be kind of cool. It still sucks that this is the way soccer is trending but it’ll be better than this happening with City as they have such a poor fan base that even with all the success is quite poor, especially for a big team. On the other hand if Newcastle does become a powerhouse team they have a fantastic fan base that even when they struggle they are passionate and will create an even better atmosphere for bigger games.
How many billionaire sheikhs are there anyway? Maybe the PL can get 100% saturation!

My roommate is Newcastle fan and talking about the situation he definitely wants to focus on the youth academy and pro scouting first over just throwing money at big names. I have no clue how the money would be spent if the takeover happens, but I think investing in youth and truly building from the ground up would lead to the most success. But who knows how this takeover will go, it isn't guaranteed success.
Gonna have to disagree with you there. Billions and billions of dollars and a long enough timeline is just about as much of a guarantee as you can get.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How many billionaire sheikhs are there anyway? Maybe the PL can get 100% saturation!

Gonna have to disagree with you there. Billions and billions of dollars and a long enough timeline is just about as much of a guarantee as you can get.
Plenty of teams have been taken over and failed. Money doesn’t equal success.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Pretty sure this is just a Pr move. The kingdom is in finical crisis. First sign if trouble they will pull out. I doubt they have the patience of citys or PSG owners

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W

City's fanbase was fine. It was actually pretty big for a club that was crap or mediocre for much of the time between 1970 and 2008. Certainly the fan base of a club that should be in the upper half of the PL table. I think the takeover actually somewhat hurt them in terms of perception and changed the character of it. You can't really play the righteous underdog vs mighty United anymore when you're the toy of the sheikhs and buy a super team. Ruined the whole "we're the authentic club of working-class Manchester" angle. Thing is - and I remember their forums at the time - their fans were happy to take the money no matter where it came from and what it meant. Just glad to 'cash in' and celebrate the trophies.

Reactions: Stray Wasp

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Eh it was only a matter of time before the Saudis got in on this. I'm surprised it took this long TBH. Abramovic spending hundreds of millions to make Chelsea a European powerhouse paved the way.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
No offence to @Stray Wasp or any other fan of newcastle but i hope get relegated to the 10 division if possible.

None taken. Though you might have wished to wait until the takeover is formally confirmed before you did so. Not until I see Ashley gloating that he's ripped off the purchasers will I believe that the deal has occurred - and it'll take far longer than that for me to be convinced there isn't some sting in the tail on the economic front as well as the human rights one.

I'm old enough to remember Newcastle being the 'neutral's favourites' in the 90s'. It didn't bring the club trophies; nor did it allow the club to dodge the Ashley bullet.

Football, you see, isn't fair. The architects of the Premier and Champions Leagues intended it to be so.

Chelsea, Manchester City, PSG are monsters. Newcastle United is on the brink of monstrousness too.

But while there's still time, let's give football's Doctor Frankensteins their due - would any of this be happening if the self-pronounced elite of the ancien regime hadn't decided they had the right to freeze over 100 years worth of footballing history in perpetuity for their own selfish ends?

When you arrogantly announce for the world to hear that you're rigging the deck in your favour, you run the risk that you'll attract to the table card sharps who outdo you. If the Newcastle United takeover falls through, the Saudis will seek another club. The time is ripe, after all, the morals of football and the morals of the Kingdom have never been better matched.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
I almost want to check their follower numbers on social media platforms and remember to check those numbers in a couple of years, but I won’t remember.

By all means do so, though be careful about the conclusions you draw.

What proportion of existing Newcastle fans don't follow the club on social media I cannot say, but I definitely know of one.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
But who knows how this takeover will go, it isn't guaranteed success.

Quite so - there was a lot of excitement when a billionaire took over Newcastle United in 2007. Since then, the number of people the club employs has fallen from around 1,000 to the 250-300 mark - and many of that latter number are, you may recall, currently furloughed. Meanwhile, the number of relegations the club has suffered has risen by 50%.

Indefensible as the new prospective owners are, it's hard not to smile at the shrill tendency among critics to say, "Newcastle may enjoy success, but they'll lose their soul."

The false dichotomy is telling - Newcastle United lost its soul years ago, and all that has yielded is squalid failure. People outside Tyneside have only paid intermittent attention, however, because up to now the demeaning of everything good Newcastle United ever hoped to represent hasn't threatened to interfere with their preferred club's success.

It would be entirely typical were Newcastle United to reel from 13 years of shabby debasement plumb into a Faustian pact that failed in even grimmer fashion than what has gone before.

Reactions: maclean

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006

The report will be on your desk in the morning Mesut...they will be sure to open their books for you. He knows he will be out of football soon and there will be no more big pay days unless someone in the MLS overpays for the privilege of getting pennies on the dollar.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
The report will be on your desk in the morning Mesut...they will be sure to open their books for you. He knows he will be out of football soon and there will be no more big pay days unless someone in the MLS overpays for the privilege of getting pennies on the dollar.

Someone will 100% overplay from the MLS. It just makes too much sense

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad