Premier League 2019-20 Part III

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There is a big difference between what SAF accomplished and what Klopp would do through this deal. While Klopp staying through this deal would be almost unheard of in today's game, he would still be mostly relying on his current core group of players. He'll have to add some along the way, but he won't have to fully transition to a brand new core to still win in 2024 IMO. If he stays through 2026 and past that and still wants to win, then he'd have to fully transition to a new core, that's what I hope to see.

I realize that's unlikely to happen, I just wish we see a manager do that at some point. Stay 110+ years at a club and in that duration build winners with multiple different core groups.
110+ years? In this economy??

but in all seriousness, I think Klopp certainly could be that guy, but he doesn’t want to. Which is fair.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
110+ years? In this economy??

but in all seriousness, I think Klopp certainly could be that guy, but he doesn’t want to. Which is fair.
Haha, meant 10.

Agreed, I think Klopp is one of the few current managers that has that type of potential. The mentality of today's managers, and it's throughout a lot of sports they want to build a winner, and then they get bored and want to build a winner at a different club.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Haha, meant 10.

Agreed, I think Klopp is one of the few current managers that has that type of potential. The mentality of today's managers, and it's throughout a lot of sports they want to build a winner, and then they get bored and want to build a winner at a different club.

It's also the fault of a lot of the owners/directors too. Let's say Klopp devices he's gonna stick at Liverpool for as long as humanly possible.

He wins another title or two in the next 4 years, then the rebuild really kicks in. Things don't go perfect and they have a couple years where they're really struggling to even get to the top 4, much less compete, and they get bounced in the CL in the group stage or early elimination rounds a few years in a row. Does he get to keep his job indefinitely, or do they bring in the next hot manager to return the club to the new standards expected? Perhaps in this specific case Klopp has several extra doses of good will because of ending the drought, but that's rarely the case.

If Pep decided to stay at City forever, do you think the ownership wouldn't turn on him if he suddenly missed the CL two years in a row?

You could potentially have another Sir Alex at a club because he simply just kept winning so there was never a reason to dismiss him, but I don't think there's a chance of another Wenger at a club.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's also the fault of a lot of the owners/directors too. Let's say Klopp devices he's gonna stick at Liverpool for as long as humanly possible.

He wins another title or two in the next 4 years, then the rebuild really kicks in. Things don't go perfect and they have a couple years where they're really struggling to even get to the top 4, much less compete, and they get bounced in the CL in the group stage or early elimination rounds a few years in a row. Does he get to keep his job indefinitely, or do they bring in the next hot manager to return the club to the new standards expected? Perhaps in this specific case Klopp has several extra doses of good will because of ending the drought, but that's rarely the case.

If Pep decided to stay at City forever, do you think the ownership wouldn't turn on him if he suddenly missed the CL two years in a row?

You could potentially have another Sir Alex at a club because he simply just kept winning so there was never a reason to dismiss him, but I don't think there's a chance of another Wenger at a club.
Wenger is basically Simeone, and your right a SAF would be someone that just consistently wins, not just gets top 4, and that's extremely difficult. It's why I hope we see someone try to do something like that.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
zouma rudiger might be the most unnatural pair in the world with the ball. they give the ball away under no pressure all the time.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Y'all know Ralph Hasenhuttl's contract expires the same time Klopp's does right? It's been a longstanding tradition for Southampton to be LFC's academy and this would just fit with the bill for him to be Klopp's replacement. I truly feel horrible saying this but it doesn't feel impossible.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Y'all know Ralph Hasenhuttl's contract expires the same time Klopp's does right? It's been a longstanding tradition for Southampton to be LFC's academy and this would just fit with the bill for him to be Klopp's replacement. I truly feel horrible saying this but it doesn't feel impossible.
It’s a long time from now. Klopp’s replacement might not even be managing yet. That being said. FSG love that pipeline from RB. They could certainly look at Ralph, Naglesmann, Rose, maybe even Marsch by then.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
If he ever wants to retire as a football manager, he can always go to the WWE and manage some wrestlers. This is exactly the type of performance they are looking for.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

It is the biggest result in the club's history. It confirmed that they can spend anything they want regardless of the rules and as long as they hide it well enough and obstruct/delay any investigation into it for long enough they will just have to pay a small fine that they can easily afford while getting to retain all the benefits of their rule breaking.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
He's honestly put himself in the running for player of the year on the club with Kovacic. Kova is still my pick though. Once Pulisic fully adapted though he's been fantastic, and since the restart, our clear best player IMO.

He's one of the few players on this club that I would say has that classic Chelsea drive from the Drogba/Lampard/Terry days. It's a mentality that we've been needing.

Reactions: Blender

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's honestly put himself in the running for player of the year on the club with Kovacic. Kova is still my pick though. Once Pulisic fully adapted though he's been fantastic, and since the restart, our clear best player IMO.
I agree that Kovacic is my player of the year as well. Pulisic was a bit up and down and had some injuries, but he's been a beast for a while now. Kovacic was the heartbeat of our team all season, just controls the midfield every time he's there.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Yup. And this isn’t news to the Liverpool fans. We’ve known for a while.
I just find it funny that he invested so much money to buy a consistent winner just to leave in four years, you know in a footballing season fours go by extremely fast and you lot will probably not get a manager as good as him.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I just find it funny that he invested so much money to buy a consistent winner just to leave in four years, you know in a footballing season fours go by extremely fast and you lot will probably not get a manager as good as him.

Since Klopp arrived they only have a net spend of around 90m euro so I'm not sure why "invested so much money" would be a consideration.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad