Premier League 2019-20 Part III

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You're the same guy that thought teams were faking positive cases and derisively labeling them "project sabotage", so forgive me for completely dismissing the confirmation bias leading to your interpretation of what they actually said.

You couldn't give less of a shit about the backdrop. Just a few weeks ago all you were doing was throwing up your hands and saying, "Sure people are dying, but that'll happen anyway. Everything is a risk...blah, blah, blah". I mean, why else would you think it would be at all proper to spike the football about comments from three freaking months ago and use the situation from today to justify it?

"Guaranteed"? Give me a break.
I didn’t say teams were faking tests. I said it was coincidental that the majority of leaked positive tests have been from those bottom six teams. I stand by it. There is an agenda from that group or they wouldn’t be insisting on no relegation. They aren’t going to pull on my heart strings. Project Sabotage was coined by Miguel Delaney. Not me.

I didn’t say people are going to die anyway. I said people will continue to test positive. Which I stand by. I have also said I would end league on PPG relegate and promote bottom two and top two all call it a day. I could care less if the season restarts or not, the only thing that I was against is null and void.

What I said is that the league/owners who are hemorrhaging money want the league to restart at all costs and we need to operate around that inevitable context. BundesLiga is going fine. And PL Is following a plan. AND the plan is working. Less than 1% of tests have returned positive (12 out of 3882 as per Ornstein). The most recent round returned zero.

there are players that don’t want to play, and those players have that right. That being said I’m sure there is a group that wants to play too. It’s happening. Get over it. There is nothing that we can do to influence what happens next. Unlike you I’m not going to pretend these owners give a damn about people dying.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm looking to get into the EPL, but have some questions. Are games on at a reasonable time in PST timezone? Is DAZN the only place to watch games now - I know Sportsnet had rights but from quick research that doesn't seem to be the case.

Next, is trying to find who to cheer for. Any clubs that are younger/up-and-coming? Clubs that are crossed off my list as Chelsea and Tottenham as a couple friends like them already and I want to like a different squad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm looking to get into the EPL, but have some questions. Are games on at a reasonable time in PST timezone? Is DAZN the only place to watch games now - I know Sportsnet had rights but from quick research that doesn't seem to be the case.

Next, is trying to find who to cheer for. Any clubs that are younger/up-and-coming? Clubs that are crossed off my list as Chelsea and Tottenham as a couple friends like them already and I want to like a different squad.
Can’t speak on DAZN

PST there is generally going to be at least an 8-9 hour Time difference

As for who to cheer for, don’t rush into a team. Watch some games and let the team pick you. I will say that if traveling to the UK to see your team is important to you, you will probably want a team based in London.

Reactions: PG Canuck

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

As long as you wake up at around 7-8, you can generally catch at least the second half of one game and the whole game of the next on both Saturdays and Sundays. Sometimes you might be able to get 2 games on Saturdays. Weekday games are on generally at around 11-12.

As for teams, I think following what @Savant said in watching a few games and seeing who you like. It also really depends if you want a team that will win most games, win about half their games, or struggle to survive. Definite benefits to all of them. I wouldn’t rule a team out just because of their place in the table. Teams I would suggest for you are Leicester, Brighton, Aston Villa, or Wolves, but I mean that’s also 20% of the league right there :laugh: you really can’t wrong. Except with Arsenal or Liverpool. They suck. Also City. They suck too. United are very stressful and will give you premature gray hair.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Dazn is the only place for the PL at this point in Canada. There will be some early showing if you are on the pacific coast, but the prime time games in England will not be an issue. Plus with DAZN you can watch games that have already happened and now you can even download games and view them when ever.

As for picking a team my first thought was go for Arsenal as they are rivals with both Chelsea and Spurs. If you want to be different you could go with Wolves; still fresh to the premier league, really good core of players, will challenge for European spots.

You could also go with Brighton. They play the most pleasing football from the bottom 10 and Sussex is a great place to visit.... Plus then I would not be the only one around these parts supporting them lol.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Can’t speak on DAZN

PST there is generally going to be at least an 8-9 hour Time difference

As for who to cheer for, don’t rush into a team. Watch some games and let the team pick you. I will say that if traveling to the UK to see your team is important to you, you will probably want a team based in London.

The DAZN thing is just what I quickly read. Can't really find if Sportsnet/TSN have games at all.

Yeah the wold finding a team is a different thing, as I have zero influence on who to like, unlike the other teams I've grown into. Biggest thing for me, is just where to watch and if the time difference isn't outrageously bad.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The DAZN thing is just what I quickly read. Can't really find if Sportsnet/TSN have games at all.

Yeah the wold finding a team is a different thing, as I have zero influence on who to like, unlike the other teams I've grown into. Biggest thing for me, is just where to watch and if the time difference isn't outrageously bad.
Sure. The other thing is that managers and players do not stay long in the Premier League so don’t hitch your wagon to a team because of that. See if there is a team with a culture that you can get behind.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Sure. The other thing is that managers and players do not stay long in the Premier League so don’t hitch your wagon to a team because of that. See if there is a team with a culture that you can get behind.
The culture is what drew me to United but I started watching in the last years of SAF so I got to see some glory and whole lot of shit.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The culture is what drew me to United but I started watching in the last years of SAF so I got to see some glory and whole lot of shit.
Started watching Liverpool 2002-03 (I think) I worked at a summer camp where we did a counselor exchange program and my room mate was an Irish Liverpool fan who was excited they had signed Harry Kewell. Rest is history.

United’s culture is definitely Ferguson. That’s what their biggest problem now is.

Reactions: Cassano

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
For the sake of this board you should actually pick Everton. They are competitive, have some fun players, and most importantly are not represented on this board and it would add a poster who can unconditionally hate on Liverpool.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Started watching Liverpool 2002-03 (I think) I worked at a summer camp where we did a counselor exchange program and my room mate was an Irish Liverpool fan who was excited they had signed Harry Kewell. Rest is history.

United’s culture is definitely Ferguson. That’s what their biggest problem now is.
Theater of Dreams died when Fergie retired.

Reactions: S E P H

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

I had a teammate that was a huge United fan but we very much disagreed about the way to build a team. He was such an old guard and keeping the likes of Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand (just to name a few) until they ran into the ground. I was for getting new guys continually from the youth academy and putting them into the fray. Granted I also thought Smalling was going to be world class and now I hope he never is in a United jersey again (along with Jones) but that’s not the point. :laugh: basically me trying to learn everything about United to prove him wrong was how I originally became a fan.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
As long as you wake up at around 7-8, you can generally catch at least the second half of one game and the whole game of the next on both Saturdays and Sundays. Sometimes you might be able to get 2 games on Saturdays. Weekday games are on generally at around 11-12.

As for teams, I think following what @Savant said in watching a few games and seeing who you like. It also really depends if you want a team that will win most games, win about half their games, or struggle to survive. Definite benefits to all of them. I wouldn’t rule a team out just because of their place in the table. Teams I would suggest for you are Leicester, Brighton, Aston Villa, or Wolves, but I mean that’s also 20% of the league right there :laugh: you really can’t wrong. Except with Arsenal or Liverpool. They suck. Also City. They suck too. United are very stressful and will give you premature gray hair.

That's good to hear about the time difference - my biggest worry was trying to get into this and have games be at odd times here on the Pacific. If/when I become a diehard, I'll work my schedule around games and such, just like any other sporting league.

Wolverhampton has been suggested twice now, so I may look into them a bit more. As basic as it may sound, logo and colours will play a bit into who I sway toward and the Wolves are really catching my liking.
:laugh:

Dazn is the only place for the PL at this point in Canada. There will be some early showing if you are on the pacific coast, but the prime time games in England will not be an issue. Plus with DAZN you can watch games that have already happened and now you can even download games and view them when ever.

As for picking a team my first thought was go for Arsenal as they are rivals with both Chelsea and Spurs. If you want to be different you could go with Wolves; still fresh to the premier league, really good core of players, will challenge for European spots.

You could also go with Brighton. They play the most pleasing football from the bottom 10 and Sussex is a great place to visit.... Plus then I would not be the only one around these parts supporting them lol.

Good to hear. As for the Wolves, as I said above, I'm leaning a bit towards them. Are they going to stay in the Premier League though? As it seems they weren't in the EPL that long ago. Not too sure how relegation and such works.

They do not have any Premier League games anymore. I think SN has the FA cup now, but that is it from the English side of things.

Bummer. Was hoping to not have to pay for another streaming service.

Going to read up on the Wolves. Leaning towards them so far.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That's good to hear about the time difference - my biggest worry was trying to get into this and have games be at odd times here on the Pacific. If/when I become a diehard, I'll work my schedule around games and such, just like any other sporting league.

Wolverhampton has been suggested twice now, so I may look into them a bit more. As basic as it may sound, logo and colours will play a bit into who I sway toward and the Wolves are really catching my liking.
:laugh:

Good to hear. As for the Wolves, as I said above, I'm leaning a bit towards them. Are they going to stay in the Premier League though? As it seems they weren't in the EPL that long ago. Not too sure how relegation and such works.

Bummer. Was hoping to not have to pay for another streaming service.

Going to read up on the Wolves. Leaning towards them so far.
Wolves will be in the Premier League for a while as long as nothing goes catastrophically wrong. For relegation the teams with the bottom 3 records are sent down and then promotion is a little more complicated. Wolves might not have been here long but for the foreseeable future they’re probably a pretty solid lock to be anywhere from 5th-10th.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well if you disregard the farmers league epl you wouldn't have to worry about time zones. La liga is a good league also Super liga.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Wolves will be in the Premier League for a while as long as nothing goes catastrophically wrong. For relegation the teams with the bottom 3 records are sent down and then promotion is a little more complicated. Wolves might not have been here long but for the foreseeable future they’re probably a pretty solid lock to be anywhere from 5th-10th.

Yeah looks like they're a middle of the pack team since joining, which is where I want to kind of select from. Don't want to select one of the top dogs.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I had a teammate that was a huge United fan but we very much disagreed about the way to build a team. He was such an old guard and keeping the likes of Rooney, Vidic, Ferdinand (just to name a few) until they ran into the ground. I was for getting new guys continually from the youth academy and putting them into the fray. Granted I also thought Smalling was going to be world class and now I hope he never is in a United jersey again (along with Jones) but that’s not the point. :laugh: basically me trying to learn everything about United to prove him wrong was how I originally became a fan.
I think everyone had a player that they were completely wrong on, and that’s okay.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah looks like they're a middle of the pack team since joining, which is where I want to kind of select from. Don't want to select one of the top dogs.

Okay so between this and the nice kits comment you should actually go with Brighton. Our away kits are amazing and the home ones are classic!

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I get that line of thinking but I'd definitely watch games of every team and see what/who catches your eye regardless of it's a big team or not.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I'm also trying to understand the relegation and such. Two friends I know follow Chelsea and Tottenham and they've been in the EPL forever. Just don't want to hitch my wagon to Wolverhampton and have them end up relegated 2-3 years down the line or something, if that even matters.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
I'm also trying to understand the relegation and such. Two friends I know follow Chelsea and Tottenham and they've been in the EPL forever. Just don't want to hitch my wagon to Wolverhampton and have them end up relegated 2-3 years down the line or something, if that even matters.

Not relegation proof but Newcastle is an iconic club. Worth visiting..top fans in a big stadium.

New investment incoming and they may be around European places within 2-3 years if they put the right manager in place and spend the right way.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Not relegation proof but Newcastle is an iconic club. Worth visiting..top fans in a big stadium.

New investment incoming and they may be around European places within 2-3 years if they put the right manager in place and spend the right way.
New investment is a funny way of saying that one of the worst humans in the world is buying the club.

Reactions: robertmac43

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad