Premier League 2019-20 Part III

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Meanwhile, the takeover remains to be signed off.

And the Grauniad is reporting zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Newcastle takeover in serious doubt as WTO rules pirate TV channel is Saudi

Newcastle United may yet enter the new season owned by someone whose company was fined for breaching the nation's minimum wage laws and has been criticised for 'Victorian working practices'. Cross your fingers for this morally acceptable outcome, everyone!

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
I hope they stay safe and this is likely not the best idea, but I will not sugar code how much the prospect of the prem coming back excites me!

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yeah, I'm not exactly happy with a lot of it. It seems like society is starting to be ok with the risk it's placing on people. Selfishly, I'm happy to see football come back, but I can't help but wonder if some of that is at the risk of people's health and well being. Even if they're as safe as possible, the return to normalcy leads to others doing stupid stuff. People seeing football matches, baseball, basketball, sports, you name it, seem to feel that the danger has passed and they can go about their daily lives. I'm not sure that's the case. It's a hard consideration, because, really, how many more times will I get to see a magical team like Liverpool has put together, but is that selfish desire at the risk of some of the players getting sick and maybe having long term issues? I don't know enough. I don't want someone to be sick down the road just to play a few meaningless matches in July.

I don't want to skew political, and I don't really care to respond to anyone who might say, well, they have to open up or what have you. I just want everyone to be as safe as possible. I don't know if playing more football helps that.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Yeah, I'm not exactly happy with a lot of it. It seems like society is starting to be ok with the risk it's placing on people. Selfishly, I'm happy to see football come back, but I can't help but wonder if some of that is at the risk of people's health and well being. Even if they're as safe as possible, the return to normalcy leads to others doing stupid stuff. People seeing football matches, baseball, basketball, sports, you name it, seem to feel that the danger has passed and they can go about their daily lives. I'm not sure that's the case. It's a hard consideration, because, really, how many more times will I get to see a magical team like Liverpool has put together, but is that selfish desire at the risk of some of the players getting sick and maybe having long term issues? I don't know enough. I don't want someone to be sick down the road just to play a few meaningless matches in July.

I don't want to skew political, and I don't really care to respond to anyone who might say, well, they have to open up or what have you. I just want everyone to be as safe as possible. I don't know if playing more football helps that.

What would be the definition of "as safe as possible"?

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Yeah, I mean, even I don't know what that looks like. I freely admit, I don't know what the balance is.

I guess the Bundesliga is a test case of some sorts in how to mitigate some of the risk. But is England there yet?

An honest answer - and I'll freely admit I don't know, either.

As you say, the Bundesliga is a test case. However, that may prove irrelevant given not only the different wider contexts in which both countries and leagues have experienced the last 10 weeks or so, but English football's tendency to believe that to endeavour to learn anything from foreigners is a sign of contemptible weakness.

I'd like to think that within the game there'd be an agreement to share any kind of data that was helpful to protecting players or identifying risks. Or, even now, would one club that felt it had cottoned on to an edge over the competition hoard their knowledge?

It isn't merely in relation to the virus per se that thoughts need to go into player protection. I understand an article in the Athletic recently suggested that during the Bundesliga's first round of its resumption, the ball was in play for more than is traditional. If, as a result, players are running more and further than usual, especially in warmer temperatures, measures such as a mid-half break may be necessary to try and guard against excessive strain on bodies.

You'd certainly hope that all sorts of scenarios have received consideration from the various parties involved - not least given the time they've had to ponder them. Even if the clubs are loath to think about anything but money for so much as a second, sheer dread of bad PR should encourage them to vigilance.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Germany has handled COVID overall much, much better as a nation than either the US or the UK has. So I would imagine football returning would the same.

That's not to say I think they shouldn't return. I've said before, I don't live in the UK - I don't have a passionate response to this one way or the other. I just think saying "if Germany can do it, why can't the UK?" doesn't hold up.

Reactions: Cassano

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
At this point, I don't know that there's an advantage to hoarding information. I think they have to put that aside. Certainly, it's not like there's a title race in the EPL at this stage (though there certainly is some importance to who stays up, who goes down and who is in Europe). But I think the negative of getting caught not telling people things that could kill players would be a bit of a step too far for most managers and players (though some owners? eh, maybe, maybe not).

I also fully agree that Germany and the UK's response on the pandemic in general has been massively different, and I think society has something to say about that as well. Testing for one in Germany has been much better.

Part of my saying I don't know what it looks like, is I can't blame Deeney or Kante for saying I'm not coming back. But at the same time, it's easier for them to say it than say, a League One player who needs the paycheck, or the 17th-18th man in the squad who might just as likely be out of job or a paycheck. I mean, sure that's the same thing to say as someone operating the local grocery store, or working a bus line. But some of my concern really does go with the idea that these players livelihood really is their physical tools. If that goes, they're done.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
But some of my concern really does go with the idea that these players livelihood really is their physical tools. If that goes, they're done.

That is a concern, no doubt, with the obvious qualifications that the risk of career-ending injury presents itself every time these players so much as train under normal circumstances and that everyone conspires for there to be a riskily excessive amount of football played anyway.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I hope they stay safe and this is likely not the best idea, but I will not sugar code how much the prospect of the prem coming back excites me!
Not discrediting it because I'll be watching, but as Arsenal fans ourselves absolutely close to zero interest in watching our team play. I am more interested in the transfer window even though we probably won't do much due to the financial implications.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Not discrediting it because I'll be watching, but as Arsenal fans ourselves absolutely close to zero interest in watching our team play. I am more interested in the transfer window even though we probably won't do much due to the financial implications.
Optimistically they can still challenge for a Europa spot....

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Chairman Sir Chip has retired from the Arsenal board, about bloody time! Another old regime member out of this organisation!

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kante has returned to the training ground to train on his own. He has not returned to group training yet. I'll be curious to see what he decides to do.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

Thoughts and Prayers for Karen Brady and Christian Purslow. Piss off.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.

Thoughts and Prayers for Karen Brady and Christian Purslow. Piss off.

Yep, f*** everyone that questioned the wisdom of putting on a sports league among the backdrop of nearly ~40 thousand deaths in the UK.

Your internet point-scoring is super appropriate.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Yep, f*** everyone that questioned the wisdom of putting on a sports league among the backdrop of nearly ~40 thousand deaths in the UK.

Your internet point-scoring is super appropriate.
Except they don’t care about it either. They are trying not to get relegated.

We care about that backdrop more than they do. Guaranteed. Numbers are down, the plan to bring the league back is working. Germany has been fine.

Brady and Purslow are only worried about their teams staying up.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Except they don’t care about it either. They are trying not to get relegated.

We care about that backdrop more than they do. Guaranteed. Numbers are down, the plan to bring the league back is working. Germany has been fine.

Brady and Purslow are only worried about their teams staying up.
You're the same guy that thought teams were faking positive cases and derisively labeling them "project sabotage", so forgive me for completely dismissing the confirmation bias leading to your interpretation of what they actually said.

You couldn't give less of a shit about the backdrop. Just a few weeks ago all you were doing was throwing up your hands and saying, "Sure people are dying, but that'll happen anyway. Everything is a risk...blah, blah, blah". I mean, why else would you think it would be at all proper to spike the football about comments from three freaking months ago and use the situation from today to justify it?

"Guaranteed"? Give me a break.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad