Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Players play in front of 20,000 to 70,000 strangers. A significant number of them with hostile sentiment toward them, a lot of them drunk, a lot of them fellows with no good manners or much regard for the feelings of strangers whatsoever as you'd find out if you ever came across them on a dark street at 11 pm.

This has been understood by footballers for 60-70 years. A player who's been in the papers for cheating on his wife, for being a drunkard, for balding early or what else will hear about it in a stadium in the rudest possible fashion. What do they do? They don't pay attention. They blur it out. It'd be a fool's errand to do anything else. Of course, you can pull a Cantona. That'd be fair enough, but you're not gonna be able to do that *every time* it happens.

A football crowd is a free for all, it's the anonymity of a crowd allowing the barbaric essential nature of man to come out. Something that isn't as well-concealed with those rough guys as it is with introvert college kids who do their boasting and trash talking only on the internet. That's the football we grew up with, that's the football crowd that is a fascinating, electrifying monster. Everything comes with light and shadow, and you can't have one without the other.

I'd take a crowd with a few idiots yelling racist abuse that still maintains the essential freedom to be an anti-authoritarian community outside of a PR-friendly framework set by advertisers and officials over a 'clean' crowd of people hoping they get to be on the kiss cam and who clap when the big scoreboard tells them to clap.
tenor.gif

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I'd take a crowd with a few idiots yelling racist abuse that still maintains the essential freedom to be an anti-authoritarian community outside of a PR-friendly framework set by advertisers and officials over a 'clean' crowd of people hoping they get to be on the kiss cam and who clap when the big scoreboard tells them to clap.
I'm sorry I asked.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
That's alright. I'm not aiming to please, certainly not everyone all the time or randos on a message board.
I don’t think people should act a certain way to impress people on a message board, I agree with that. But being ok with and accepting racial abuse for what it is just isn’t ok.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This is why I'm fascinated to why there is such a difference between the experience between NA sporting events and Euro games in regards to racial abuse. It still happens in both, just in very different ways.

And players also want to deal with it in different ways. I remember PK Subban said in an interview that if someone threw a banana at him, that he'd just pick it up and eat it.

I do think leagues and clubs need to do things to prevent the more wide-spread abuse where you have big groups like ultras doing the racial abuse, but it'll be impossible for them to prevent a random person from doing something like that, in those scenarios it's how you react to it.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Abusement Park

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
This is why I'm fascinated to why there is such a difference between the experience between NA sporting events and Euro games in regards to racial abuse. It still happens in both, just in very different ways.

And players also want to deal with it in different ways. I remember PK Subban said in an interview that if someone threw a banana at him, that he'd just pick it up and eat it.

I do think leagues and clubs need to do things to prevent the more wide-spread abuse where you have big groups like ultras doing the racial abuse, but it'll be impossible for them to prevent a random person from doing something like that, in those scenarios it's how you react to it.
And I think each player who experiences racial abuse should have the right to deal with it however they want. If you want to walk off in protest, hell yeah do it, I totally get that. If you want to brush it off because it doesn’t bother you, hell yeah do it. Each person is different and deals with things in their own ways and teammates especially should back them up in however they want to handle said situation

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
While there have been plenty of examples of racism with this coronavirus, I don't think that was one of them.

If the coronavirus started in Ireland, and he did the same video with a random person with red hair would he still get in trouble?

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Kind of funny if that is considered "hate speech" considering some of the things their prime minister have said.

Not surprised though. I used to work for a British company and it is quite shocking how "sensitive" the English are to these kind of things (Scots not so much based on my experience).

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I'm not saying that's what they are calling this incident, I just wasn't sure how to describe it without getting political with it, since I know how sensitive this site can get when politics comes up. I don't consider it hate speech, but I bet the people that don't like it might consider it that though. My assumption is that if that's considered racist then they also consider it hate speech.

I think it's just a younger guy trying to make a joke, and it's just another example of why social media is bad.

Reactions: Big Poppa Puck

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I think it is more an example of some cultures being hysterical. Anyway - my point wasn´t to start another off topic discussion. At least a potential Alli ban would be on topic.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think it is more an example of some cultures being hysterical. Anyway - my point wasn´t to start another off topic discussion. At least a potential Alli ban would be on topic.
If he does get banned, he'll miss an important match, so it'll hurt.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
While there have been plenty of examples of racism with this coronavirus, I don't think that was one of them.

If the coronavirus started in Ireland, and he did the same video with a random person with red hair would he still get in trouble?
Lol

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
He took his camera pointed it right at a random Asian guy and started talking about coronavirus. He deserves his punishment and it is absolutely racist on all levels.

I think some of you may not be aware of the time when Lampard and John Terry walked up to randoms and making jokes about 9/11. They were fined very heavily.

Not sure what's wrong with some of you. It seems like most of the time it is the same people lining up to defend those accused of racist behavior.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
He took his camera pointed it right at a random Asian guy and started talking about coronavirus. He deserves his punishment and it is absolutely racist on all levels.

I think some of you may not be aware of the time when Lampard and John Terry walked up to randoms and making jokes about 9/11. They were fined very heavily.

Not sure what's wrong with some of you.
Its embarrassing and tiresome I read it and just moved on. Thanks for commenting on it.

whats this Lampard and terry incident?

Reactions: Cassano

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
whats this Lampard and terry incident?

Some team members went on a five-hour drinking binge - culminating in their stripping naked and vomiting in public. The players, who were said to have been ejected from the third pub they had visited, shouted, laughed, threw peanuts and reportedly abused other guests.

Many of the guests were Americans whose planes were grounded following the terrorist attacks two weeks ago.

Following complaints, the players have been fined two weeks' wages for the incident, which took place the day after the attack on September 11.

The players involved, including the England Under-21 stars Frank Lampard, Jody Morris and John Terry, were said to have sneered and laughed at grieving relatives in the Posthouse hotel. Eidur Gudjohnsen, the 23-year-old Iceland international, was also involved in the drinking session and has been fined.

Chelsea four fined for drunken abuse

If this happened now, someone would be banned I'm pretty sure of that.

What I was trying to say is that players have been punished for this kind of behavior no matter who they do it to.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That group were drunken idiots, not really sure what the comparison is. It always seemed a stretch to say their behavior was targeting Americans. I think they also tried diving head first down a bowling alley too.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That group were drunken idiots, not really sure what the comparison is.

That the players ultimately represent their club and/or their league, and any foolishness they get up to should be dealt with in a matter that either body finds sufficient. If fans don't care about Alli picking out a random Asian person to make a coronavirus joke, or John Terry making a 9/11 joke, good for them I guess. I don't know why people don't care, but good for them. On the other hand, the players should learn a lesson that there are people who do care. I think if he filmed someone here and embarrassed them that way, they would probably be really angry.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
That the players ultimately represent their club and/or their league, and any foolishness they get up to should be dealt with in a matter that either body finds sufficient. If fans don't care about Alli picking out a random Asian person to make a coronavirus joke, or John Terry making a 9/11 joke, good for them I guess. I don't know why people don't care, but good for them. On the other hand, the players should learn a lesson that there are people who do care. I think if he filmed someone here and embarrassed them that way, they would probably be really angry.
Terry wasn't in trouble because of a 9/11 joke...

He was a belligerent drunk do a lot of obnoxious behavior.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Terry wasn't in trouble because of a 9/11 joke...

Did you not read the article or what?

FOUR Chelsea footballers have been fined by their club for drunkenly abusing grieving Americans at a Heathrow hotel 24 hours after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.

It's the same thing isn't it? Instead of abusing the guy to his face, Alli took the video and posted it on the internet. If he was embarrassing you in some way because of how you look, you'd probably be mad.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

No they should ignore it like tough men in the 60s did. Or something like that lol

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It’s just insensitive and potentially can hurt sponsors. Sport and competition are best when they bring people together and help solve some of the worlds issues, not when players or supporters only contribute to them.

It was obviously stupid and worthy of punishment. Harvey Elliott was banned completely for two weeks for mocking Kane. The FA rightfully should police it’s players. The club should as well.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Did you not read the article or what?

FOUR Chelsea footballers have been fined by their club for drunkenly abusing grieving Americans at a Heathrow hotel 24 hours after the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Centre and the Pentagon.

It's the same thing isn't it? Instead of abusing the guy to his face, Alli took the video and posted it on the internet. If he was embarrassing you in some way because of how you look, you'd probably be mad.
He and the group wasn't in trouble because of a joke, it was because they were belligerent drunks and they were doing other rowdy behavior that night too. If a group got publicly drunk and stripped in public and slide down a bowling alley, they'd be fined today too.

If you want to use this incident, at least understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad