Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
What is then?

And do you disagree with Zlatan's logic?

Concerted society wide effort is the only solution. In footballing terms, real consequences to racist behavior, both individually and corporately to provide positive peer pressure.

If an individual is found to engage in racist behavior they’re banned from local, country, continental, and international events.

If fans of a team in bulk are abusing players institute punishments on the team and fan base. Financial fines to the corporation, limited capacity matches, empty stadium matches, points deduction, game forfeits, etc.

Implement systems like the PL has in response to incidents with escalating consequences. Make an announcement -> match delay -> match postponement/abandonment. For repeated violations within a given timeframe (year or something) start a rung higher each time.

From a player standpoint, clubs need to ensure players are empowered to report and take action and are supported when they do so. Make players understand that a teammate being abused is far more important than a match so you don’t have a situation when a guy is repeatedly abused to the point he feels he needs to leave and a bunch of his teammates are literally holding him on the field because they care more about a game than about him.

Is it possible you end up with results where innocent people were punished or where people abuse the system? Sure it’s possible, but I’d much rather err on that side than on the side of having a player feels like he needs to walk off his job because of the color of his skin.

As far as Zlatan’s approach, that’s a good approach for individuals to take in certain circumstances (but not all), but it’s not a collective solution.

To compare it to something like bullying in school. Yes children should try, as much as they can, to not let a bully’s words get to them, but simply saying “just ignore it” isn’t remotely a solution on a school-wide basis.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Concerted society wide effort is the only solution. In footballing terms, real consequences to racist behavior, both individually and corporately to provide positive peer pressure.

If an individual is found to engage in racist behavior they’re banned from local, country, continental, and international events.

If fans of a team in bulk are abusing players institute punishments on the team and fan base. Financial fines to the corporation, limited capacity matches, empty stadium matches, points deduction, game forfeits, etc.

Implement systems like the PL has in response to incidents with escalating consequences. Make an announcement -> match delay -> match postponement/abandonment. For repeated violations within a given timeframe (year or something) start a rung higher each time.

From a player standpoint, clubs need to ensure players are empowered to report and take action and are supported when they do so. Make players understand that a teammate being abused is far more important than a match so you don’t have a situation when a guy is repeatedly abused to the point he feels he needs to leave and a bunch of his teammates are literally holding him on the field because they care more about a game than about him.

Is it possible you end up with results where innocent people were punished or where people abuse the system? Sure it’s possible, but I’d much rather err on that side than on the side of having a player feels like he needs to walk off his job because of the color of his skin.

As far as Zlatan’s approach, that’s a good approach for individuals to take in certain circumstances (but not all), but it’s not a collective solution.

To compare it to something like bullying in school. Yes children should try, as much as they can, to not let a bully’s words get to them, but simply saying “just ignore it” isn’t remotely a solution on a school-wide basis.

Concerted society wide effort? What does that mean? If Chelsea (and Spurs for that matter - not sure why it would be limited to the player "on my team") had walked off due to the alleged incident with Rudiger had that helped in any way?

As for "erring" in the "right" side I think that is a very simplistic way of looking at things. Accusing someone of doing something they haven´t done is extremely serious and shouldn´t be taken lightly. There is a reason why most legal systems work with "beyond a reasonable doubt". Why are so few rapist convicted? Extremely sad. Much more so in my opinion than most cases of racism (which isn´t in most cases physical at least). Do you advocate to "err" on the other side when it comes to convicting alleged rapists as well? This is back to one of my initial points. Believing the victim is fine, but it only works so far in reality.

As for some of the rest I would agree. Not sure why that is brought in to the discussion. I am not saying there shouldn´t be any punishment for racism. If the Police had found evidence of racist abuse towards Rudiger I think the fans and Spurs as a club should have been punished. No question. That is different to advocating for walking off the pitch - basically moving the burden of proof to the players.

I guess this is going a bit too off topic. My main point is if anyone think this is easy then they are wrong. Maybe players walking off the pitch will work. I have made my case why I don´t think that it will work, I can´t really see why it would, but obviously I don´t know.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Assists in all comps this season by some highly rated fullbacks

Brandon Williams: 0
Joao Cancelo: 1
Ben Davies: 1
Aaron Wan Bissaka: 2
Luke Shaw: 2
Reece James:3
Andrew Robertson: 6

Bukayo Saka: 10

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Only four or five of those were as a fullback.

Good point, but I count 6, if you count his game as a wingback in a 343 in the UEL. It is still extremely impressive for an 18 year old ( as it would be for any player). He might be better suited to fullback going forward as I doubt if he has the skill in tight spaces to be a truly elite winger. He does have the attributes to be one of the best fullbacks in the world though.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I remember the year Davies had 6 assists. All good, but a bit of randomness at play here as well.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
"People should stop being offended at racism" isn't a solution to racism.....

Its preposterous to believe that racism is something football is in any position to solve or even affect in any meaningful way.

At the end of the day if you look at this as a workplace issue we simply have to concede that being a footballer isnt the same as working an office job. Getting yelled at and verbally abused has been a part of the footballing profession for as long as anyone can remember. Football is a sport of proles and as such the rules of the back alley apply more than that of your regular office with its HR drones. Its not meant to be what a grad student or housewife think of as a polite or “safe” environment.

In my opinion this whole issue is trumped up to use as an excuse for further commercializing and sanitizing the sport. If a company’s HR rep feels comfortable at a football match down in the ends then the sport has lost its soul. Americans dont get it because American sport already lost it before any of us were born, its been about money and worshipping athletic feats for as long as anyone can remember.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
If I were a player and my teammate felt the need to walk off because of racial abuse, I would go up to him and ask him if it’s something he can ignore for the duration of the game. Remind him we all stand with him and love him and nothing fans say will change that. If he says it’s something he can’t ignore, I would walk off with him.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The entire team should walkoff and refuse to play. That type of statement will make an impact. Playing on, or letting 'authorities' handle it, when they've repeatedly shown to be unable to do so effectively, is not enough at this point.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
Its preposterous to believe that racism is something football is in any position to solve or even affect in any meaningful way.

At the end of the day if you look at this as a workplace issue we simply have to concede that being a footballer isnt the same as working an office job. Getting yelled at and verbally abused has been a part of the footballing profession for as long as anyone can remember. Football is a sport of proles and as such the rules of the back alley apply more than that of your regular office with its HR drones. Its not meant to be what a grad student or housewife think of as a polite or “safe” environment.

In my opinion this whole issue is trumped up to use as an excuse for further commercializing and sanitizing the sport. If a company’s HR rep feels comfortable at a football match down in the ends then the sport has lost its soul. Americans dont get it because American sport already lost it before any of us were born, its been about money and worshipping athletic feats for as long as anyone can remember.
Can you help me understand what your take is? Enduring racist abuse should be part of the job for professional athletes? Racism is a conspiracy? Racism adds to sport's soul?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Can you help me understand what your take is? Enduring racist abuse should be part of the job for professional athletes? Racism is a conspiracy? Racism adds to sport's soul?

Players play in front of 20,000 to 70,000 strangers. A significant number of them with hostile sentiment toward them, a lot of them drunk, a lot of them fellows with no good manners or much regard for the feelings of strangers whatsoever as you'd find out if you ever came across them on a dark street at 11 pm.

This has been understood by footballers for 60-70 years. A player who's been in the papers for cheating on his wife, for being a drunkard, for balding early or what else will hear about it in a stadium in the rudest possible fashion. What do they do? They don't pay attention. They blur it out. It'd be a fool's errand to do anything else. Of course, you can pull a Cantona. That'd be fair enough, but you're not gonna be able to do that *every time* it happens.

A football crowd is a free for all, it's the anonymity of a crowd allowing the barbaric essential nature of man to come out. Something that isn't as well-concealed with those rough guys as it is with introvert college kids who do their boasting and trash talking only on the internet. That's the football we grew up with, that's the football crowd that is a fascinating, electrifying monster. Everything comes with light and shadow, and you can't have one without the other.

I'd take a crowd with a few idiots yelling racist abuse that still maintains the essential freedom to be an anti-authoritarian community outside of a PR-friendly framework set by advertisers and officials over a 'clean' crowd of people hoping they get to be on the kiss cam and who clap when the big scoreboard tells them to clap.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You’re actually a f***ing dumbass. Who should be banned from posting. Every one of your 12,000+ Posts is a cancer to the site. At no point have i ever read a post from you that was half way insightful or decent. I really couldnt care less about infraction i will get in calling you a :eek::eek::eek::eek:.

for starters someone cheating on his wife or balding is miles different than suffering racial abuse. The white privilege to even suggest comparing them is idiotic for one point and extremely unpleasant. You can smell the white privilege reeking off of the post.

60s and 70s football was like this so we shouldnt grow as a society but promote tolerance to their intolerance because racism brings passion and atmosphere to the game. Why stop their how about segregation too?

delete your account and piss off.

wtf is with those emojies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I'd take a crowd with a few idiots yelling racist abuse that still maintains the essential freedom to be an anti-authoritarian community outside of a PR-friendly framework set by advertisers and officials over a 'clean' crowd of people hoping they get to be on the kiss cam and who clap when the big scoreboard tells them to clap.

This says so, so much about you and none of it is good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->