Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Absolutely. Every injury is a problem, but to me losing Fabinho is a lot easier to cope with than any of the front 3, van Dijk and I would also add at least Robertson. Probably also Trent. Partly because of the trickle down effect. Less depth than in midfield.
Yes and no. Remains to be seen. LFC made a CL final without Fabinho so hope isn’t lost. Fabinho takes them to another level though, and with very little margin for error it certainly doesn’t help things.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Sure. But if Wijnaldum is playing 6, then they don’t have him in his best spot. Trickle down effect. And the team isn’t keeping clean sheets as it is
Liverpool’s defensive record was better when Wijnaldum played the 6 than any other player in that position.

Fabinho is great because he does win the ball higher up the field often but his style exposes the defence a lot. He’s also more creative from deep than our other options there but given how little we create from midfield, typically, anyway I actually prefer Wijnaldum at the 6.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Mourinho seems to be pushing academy players to sign pro contracts. Three this week.
A fourth one signed today. Could possible be even more considering that it isn't the club announcing it, it's the players through their social media.

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
roxopomnk7241.png

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I think the easiest solution is to limit the number of replays they get.

Watching it 2 or 3 times at full speed and 2 or 3 times at half speed. If you can't definitively tell from those looks, it's too close to provide a meaningful advantage and thus should be allowed.

Offside was never meant to be called at millimeter precision, it was meant to prevent cherry picking.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I think the easiest solution is to limit the number of replays they get.

Watching it 2 or 3 times at full speed and 2 or 3 times at half speed. If you can't definitively tell from those looks, it's too close to provide a meaningful advantage and thus should be allowed.

Offside was never meant to be called at millimeter precision, it was meant to prevent cherry picking.

I think in all sports video reviews should get a time limit of like 1 minute or something. If it's so close that you have to look at it that closely it wasn't that unfair of an advantage/missed call.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I think in all sports video reviews should get a time limit of like 1 minute or something. If it's so close that you have to look at it that closely it wasn't that unfair of an advantage/missed call.
The NFL is highlighting the issue on both ends. With the over-reviewing, now no one knows what an actual catch is, similar to how offsides is being reviewed. On the other side, they are reserving the pass-interference reviews for the only egregious misses, which have led to plenty of decisions of clear pass-interference that the refs happened to miss, but it wasn't deemed too egregious.

It will be impossible to determine the sweet spot IMO. Even with a time limit, I could easily see a horrible decision being made and people complaining that they don't have enough time.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The NFL is highlighting the issue on both ends. With the over-reviewing, now no one knows what an actual catch is, similar to how offsides is being reviewed. On the other side, they are reserving the pass-interference reviews for the only egregious misses, which have led to plenty of decisions of clear pass-interference that the refs happened to miss, but it wasn't deemed too egregious.

It will be impossible to determine the sweet spot IMO. Even with a time limit, I could easily see a horrible decision being made and people complaining that they don't have enough time.

I think in soccer at least, I think that a time limit would be good. There will always be wrong calls made, but if a horrible call needs to be overturned it shouldn't take more than a minute or so to overturn.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Lingard's been having a tough time off the pitch lately, which probably has shown somewhat on the pitch as well. It's DAily Fail story but unlike their usual stuff, worth a read:

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW: Jesse Lingard opens up on his family agony at Manchester United | Daily Mail Online

'My mum has had some things for years but never really got help. Now she is. So I have been taking care of my brother and sister. They are with me. It has been tough to see my loved ones struggling and then I have to come to work and try to do my job.'

'I am a person who likes to deal with stuff on his own but it's not necessarily the right thing to do,' he added. 'I always use the phrase "Be yourself" but I have realised now that there are times when you just can't be. My dad and older brother, Louie, have been great support but some of this stuff has broken my heart, you know?

'As a man I have to take this responsibility on and be there for everyone. I've had to mature and wise up. Sometimes when your worries are so deep you can't function properly. Now it's about getting back to my best and I feel I can do that.'

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Imagine standing up for basic human rights and against genocide is “politics” lol. I’d imagine they have the same energy when the victims are westerners.
I'm not educated on either topic, but I saw people commenting that Ozil supports a regime that is attempting genocide on Armenians or something like that?

Ultimately all of this stuff should be spoken out against but I don't really know anything about it; I imagine that there are a lot of politically divisive topics that football clubs distance themselves from.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Imagine standing up for basic human rights and against genocide is “politics” lol. I’d imagine they have the same energy when the victims are westerners.
Lol you know what's funny, Bellerin had a tweet that had #f***Borris and the club didn't even comment on that.

Not that I disagree... Heccy B for captain

Last edited:
Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I'm not educated on either topic, but I saw people commenting that Ozil supports a regime that is attempting genocide on Armenians or something like that?

Ultimately all of this stuff should be spoken out against but I don't really know anything about it; I imagine that there are a lot of politically divisive topics that football clubs distance themselves from.

There's some hypocrisy in Turkey for sure, but regarding Özil personally I think it's normal that he focuses on contemporary issues rather than what happened more than a century ago.

I also think this is too much of a taboo in China to become the next outrage so Arsenal doesn't have to act like the submissive bitches they are.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006

Not attempting a genocide, they're denying it ever existed this was during the latter stages of the Ottoman Empire. Turkey refuse to acknowledge that it occurred. I don't know Ozil's personal opinion on the matter. Many academic scholars in Turkey have forward and stated that it is a fact. They've all been exiled irrc.

Just imagine a player standing up for LGBT community rights or other tragedies such as the Paris incident, I'd wager Arsenal wouldnt have the response. So, yeah loser mentality on and off the field

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There's some hypocrisy in Turkey for sure, but regarding Özil personally I think it's normal that he focuses on contemporary issues rather than what happened more than a century ago.

I also think this is too much of a taboo in China to become the next outrage so Arsenal doesn't have to act like the submissive *****es they are.

Ozils comments sounded more like an Islamist call for action vs China than a concern about human rights in general. I dont like people kow towing to China who are authoritarian and brutal, but Ozils concern seems to be limited to situations where *his* folks are affected. If the shoe is on the other foot hes best buddies with the perpetrators...

Now that Ozil doesn’t have to pretend anymore that hes some symbol of German immigrant integration hes showing where his loyalties really are.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm pretty sure most clubs would have taken the same stance as Arsenal. Too much $$$ involved to start war with China. NBA is hurting with Daryl Morey's comments.

Still, I'm very disappointed with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad