Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Ozils comments sounded more like an Islamist call for action vs China than a concern about human rights in general. I dont like people kow towing to China who are authoritarian and brutal, but Ozils concern seems to be limited to situations where *his* folks are affected. If the shoe is on the other foot hes best buddies with the perpetrators...

Now that Ozil doesn’t have to pretend anymore that hes some symbol of German immigrant integration hes showing where his loyalties really are.

Everyone chooses their own fights, that's only natural. If someone is in the position to lecture Özil about his activism then by all means, but unfortunately it's usually the people that themselves do nothing at all who are the loudest when it comes to criticism.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
I'm pretty sure most clubs would have taken the same stance as Arsenal. Too much $$$ involved to start war with China. NBA is hurting with Daryl Morey's comments.

Still, I'm very disappointed with it.
The Bellerin thing is definitely funny, though. You'd think if you were so gung ho about being apolitical you'd start at home.

That said, it's not like everyone doesn't know this is about protecting that Chinese money from flowing in.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Ozil is an Erdogan regime bootlicker who is very selective in his statements in this area. That doesn't excuse Arsenal though.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I don't see any other clubs condemning China. At least Arsenal has put out their stance.

Can't wait to watch Inter, Barca, Real, Chelsea, Man U, etc. play in China this summer.

Reactions: Cassano

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Ozils comments sounded more like an Islamist call for action vs China than a concern about human rights in general. I dont like people kow towing to China who are authoritarian and brutal, but Ozils concern seems to be limited to situations where *his* folks are affected. If the shoe is on the other foot hes best buddies with the perpetrators...

Now that Ozil doesn’t have to pretend anymore that hes some symbol of German immigrant integration hes showing where his loyalties really are.

LOL typical

This isnt about Ozil and his alliances its about Arsenal. Also not even sure what you mean by "his" people... THose Muslims in China have ZERO ties to Ozil. Calling for solidarity or condemnation to genocide is not showing alliances its waht everyone should be doing.

Ozil is an Erdogan regime bootlicker who is very selective in his statements in this area. That doesn't excuse Arsenal though.

pretty much.

I don't see any other clubs condemning China. At least Arsenal has put out their stance.

Can't wait to watch Inter, Barca, Real, Chelsea, Man U, etc. play in China this summer.

So in the case of oppression and human right violations its ok to be on the wrong side as long as you pick a side? Jeez I'd delete this post if I were you.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Every club would do the same if they had a player with the balls to call out China. Except maybe Union Berlin

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
LOL typical
So in the case of oppression and human right violations its ok to be on the wrong side as long as you pick a side? Jeez I'd delete this post if I were you.

Did I say they were right? I said we know what their stance is.

It would be the same as me implying you think it's OK for clubs to stay silent because I don't see you condemning them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Did I say they were right? I said we know what their stance is.

It would be the same as me implying you think it's OK for clubs to stay silent because I don't see you condemning them.
You implied it by saying at least we know their stance. Teams don’t need to go out of their way to condemn tragedies, but arsenal went out of their way to basically say it’s ok humans rights don’t matter unless your rich or western. Good to know.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Imagine thinking Catalunya is as big of a market as China.

So it's cool if Arsenal just shut their mouth. Got it.
Never said it was as big and the comparison would be Spain(the country that they’re condemning) not Catalunya lol.

Yes you either stand in solidarity towards oppression or you stfu. Very simple.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Difference in this situation that you're conveniently ignoring is that Arsenal went out of their way to make it clear that they didn't support what Ozil said. I don't expect any of these teams to make moral statements about human rights when they are chasing money, they are all greedy after all. That doesn't mean they need to go out of their way to distance themselves from statements against those human rights abuses.

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Difference in this situation that you're conveniently ignoring is that Arsenal went out of their way to make it clear that they didn't support what Ozil said. I don't expect any of these teams to make moral statements about human rights when they are chasing money, they are all greedy after all. That doesn't mean they need to go out of their way to distance themselves from statements against those human rights abuses.

They do if they still want to keep chasing money.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Have you followed what happened with the Houston Rockets? They stood by Daryl Morey's comments and the NBA is now boycotted in China. Billion dollar market that is affected.

The PL would be in shambles in China if Arsenal stood 100% support for Ozil. Any other club, besides maybe Union Berlin would've done the same.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Have you followed what happened with the Houston Rockets? They stood by Daryl Morey's comments and the NBA is now boycotted in China. Billion dollar market that is affected.
Good on the NBA for taking a moral stance there. Bending over backwards to avoid offending human rights abusers because they don't like having their human rights abuses called out in public is morally bankrupt behavior.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Good on the NBA for taking a moral stance there. Bending over backwards to avoid offending human rights abusers because they don't like having their human rights abuses called out in public is morally bankrupt behavior.

The NBA did the same thing as Arsenal.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
They do that, but they still ban signs like 'Free Hong Kong' to games.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
They do that, but they still ban signs like 'Free Hong Kong' to games.
Ideally none of these business would do business with countries with terrible track records, but that's unfortunately not the society we live in. Most consumer goods are made in a variety of countries with some pretty abhorrent working conditions.

Reactions: Cassano

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Should be equally called out for...yes. 2 wrongs make a right tho?
So don't make it sound BS like Barcelona is a perfect club with no problem. In fact, dining with Zionists as a club tour vs. situating away from a single player's opinion is worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad