Premier League 2019-20 part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
"Chelsea Supporters Trust" is a fan organization, it's not run by the club. Hopefully their chairman resigns for inserting his homophobic personal beliefs into his job in the supporters trust.

Chelsea has some terrible supporters, but they aren't the only club with this problem in England or Europe.
This is a group that obviously has the goal of being affiliated with the official Chelsea Football Club; according to their webpage their long term goal is to get a board seat.

I am not going to say it represents the majority of the fan base, but if a group like SOS did something like this, it would be admonished. Groups like these represent the team. Official or not, (especially if they are trying for official status). This is disgusting.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Reactions: maclean

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
A small minority of Liverpool fans also led to the Heysel disaster. It is not fair to represent the whole fan-base based on the actions of a few individuals.

Reactions: S E P H

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
A small minority of Liverpool fans also led to the Heysel disaster. It is not fair to represent the whole fan-base based on the actions of a few individuals.
That is not remotely equivalent.

This is a fan organization, whose stated goal of their existence is to represent the club openly discriminating against a group of people.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
That is not remotely equivalent.

This is a fan organization, whose stated goal of their existence is to represent the club openly discriminating against a group of people.
Is that an official platform of the fan organization? Considering they issued a statement today condemning the comments I would say no, but that isn't going to stop you from trying to paint every Chelsea fan and the club with this brush.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Is that an official platform of the fan organization? Considering they issued a statement today condemning the comments I would say no, but that isn't going to stop you from trying to paint every Chelsea fan and the club with this brush.
When have I done this?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
When have I done this?
You compared it to SOS doing something like this as if this was the position of the Chelsea Supporters Trust, rather than the comments of an individual. Then said that the group represents the team, so it reflects badly on them as well.

if a group like SOS did something like this, it would be admonished. Groups like these represent the team.

Reactions: Cassano

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
You compared it to SOS doing something like this as if this was the position of the Chelsea Supporters Trust, rather than the comments of an individual. Then said that the group represents the team, so it reflects badly on them as well.

His first comment was, "Stay classy Chelsea."

Reactions: Blender

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
If the CO-CHAIR of the group is saying it, it represents the group. It is a comment from leadership. If a Co-Chair of a Fortune 500 company said something similar, the board would demand their resignation for that reason. So yes, I stand by that.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
His first comment was, "Stay classy Chelsea."
Because it came from a Chelsea fan group that is trying to directly affiliate themselves with their football club. Do you think I just picked a team name out of a hat?

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If the CO-CHAIR of the group is saying it, it represents the group. It is a comment from leadership. If a Co-Chair of a Fortune 500 company said something similar, the board would demand their resignation for that reason. So yes, I stand by that.
Again, they put out a statement condemning the comments from the article, saying how they don't represent CST, and that they are investigating further. Since this literally came out a few hours ago, let's give it a bit of time before we jump to conclusions on whether this co-chair will be gone or not. If they do nothing about it and let this guy continue to let his personal bigotry impact the group, I'll happily join in on condemning them.

With regard to the article published today on The Athletic website the CST have issued the following statement.
“The Chelsea Supporters’ Trust has a proud history of representing all Chelsea supporters, irrespective of their race, religion or sexual identity. The comments in question, which were expressed by a board member in a private communication, do not represent the position of the Chelsea Supporters’ Trust and the board does not condone them.
“The board operates on the principle of collective responsibility. Board members are expected to demonstrate a high standard of personal conduct. This includes putting aside personal opinions in order to represent the views of the Trust’s membership, and Chelsea supporters more generally.The Chelsea Supporters’ Trust will work with external partners, such as the Football Supporters Association, to consider whether further action is appropriate.”

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Again, they put out a statement condemning the comments from the article, saying how they don't represent CST, and that they are investigating further. Since this literally came out a few hours ago, let's give it a bit of time before we jump to conclusions on whether this co-chair will be gone or not. If they do nothing about it and let this guy continue to let his personal bigotry impact the group, I'll happily join in on condemning them.
And that is fair too. I definitely posted before I saw the statement, and it’s certainly possible I posted before the statement came out. I think the guy should have been immeadiately removed, but this is also an issue that I care a lot about. I don’t have any reason to believe any of the Chelsea fans on here are of the same viewpoint as that guy but it is very disappointing to see stuff like this in 2019

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Is VdV spitting Faxx or is he too harsh on Maguire here?

Too hard. United definitely overpaid, everyone knows that, but he's a good defender and his statement is outlandish. Especially after a 1-1 game against Liverpool where Maguire defended very well.

Reactions: Jussi

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
If he's right which he isn't then why isn't he a scout or manager? Why is he on TV talking his ass off? Maguire is overpaid by at least double but the guy is clearly one of the better defenders in the EPL.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I don't think Maguire is one of the better defenders in the EPL (depending on what you consider one of the better), but he's obviously not a sunday league player.

Reactions: Cassano

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I just find it rich that anyone characterizes an entire fanbase for the actions of a minority. Especially when issues of racism in games or violence among supporters is so widespread throughout all fanbases and countries. How many times do we here stories about monkey chants directed at black players. You are missing the point if you are making it about specific fanbases, it's bigger than fans and club loyalty. You are naive if you think there is a club out there that doesn't have supporters that are racist, anti-LGBTQ, or whatever else.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I just find it rich that anyone characterizes an entire fanbase for the actions of a minority. Especially when issues of racism in games or violence among supporters is so widespread throughout all fanbases and countries. How many times do we here stories about monkey chants directed at black players. You are missing the point if you are making it about specific fanbases, it's bigger than fans and club loyalty. You are naive if you think there is a club out there that doesn't have supporters that are racist, anti-LGBTQ, or whatever else.
This isn’t about a specific fan base. This is about a specific instance. It’s equally deplorable if any team had done it. When the Chairman of a Fan Group is telling it’s members not to display Rainbow Laces banners in a fan stand unless they also display a “Proud of Being A White English Heterosexual” banner - this is disgusting. And this is from (presumably elected) leadership. The Chelsea Pride group said their piece to admonish this, and there is still time to see if something is done about this. This isn’t characterizing an entire fan base by any means. But this is a reported example of leadership of a very visible supporters group of a very visible club being openly homophobic and spreading that message to the members of that group. That is disgusting.

Reactions: maclean

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
He's a top 10 defender in the PL, with a shout at top 5 if he can stay consistently at his peak. Clearly not worth the price tag, but he's also much better than a replacement level player.
Defensively he was top 5 last year, overall top 10 probably. For England he was even better.

That he's English and still has 7-8 years of his prime ahead of him is why the price tag was so high. I don't expect Leicester will get that much if they have to sell Soyuncu or Ricardo for example, despite both being better players right now.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
This isn’t about a specific fan base. This is about a specific instance. It’s equally deplorable if any team had done it. When the Chairman of a Fan Group is telling it’s members not to display Rainbow Laces banners in a fan stand unless they also display a “Proud of Being A White English Heterosexual” banner - this is disgusting. And this is from (presumably elected) leadership. The Chelsea Pride group said their piece to admonish this, and there is still time to see if something is done about this. This isn’t characterizing an entire fan base by any means. But this is a reported example of leadership of a very visible supporters group of a very visible club being openly homophobic and spreading that message to the members of that group. That is disgusting.
Then don't say, "stay classy Chelsea". I'm guessing that's not how you intended it and I wasn't directing it completely at you. I'm just saying we need to rethink how we as the soccer/football community look and handle these issues. I'm tired of the say no to racism talk being so hollow. I'm not in the Euro area, so I can't really speak on what the culture is like at the games. In the States, you might here some racist individuals directed at a player, but I've never personally seen it when I'm at games and you don't see the stories like you do from the Euro soccer games.

More needs to be done or something different needs to happen, I know all of us agree on that.

Reactions: Blender and Savant

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Then don't say, "stay classy Chelsea". I'm guessing that's not how you intended it and I wasn't directing it completely at you. I'm just saying we need to rethink how we as the soccer/football community look and handle these issues. I'm tired of the say no to racism talk being so hollow. I'm not in the Euro area, so I can't really speak on what the culture is like at the games. In the States, you might here some racist individuals directed at a player, but I've never personally seen it when I'm at games and you don't see the stories like you do from the Euro soccer games.

More needs to be done or something different needs to happen, I know all of us agree on that.
I said stay classy Chelsea because it is a story about a Chelsea fan group. I didn’t pick a random club. And I stayed away from ‘Chelsea fans’ because I didn’t want to generalize the group. I did not intend for it to be taken that way. I agree with everything else

Reactions: bleedblue1223
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad