Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
A bit surprising, but sounds like Onomah is in Pochettino´s plans. I used to like Onomah, but thought he looked crap the times I saw him for Villa last year. Reminds me a bit of Witsel - just much worse. Got ability, but such a nothing player. Never decisive or brave enough to play for a top team.

Pochettino is usually quite a good judge of young players though. Would be absolutely perfect if Onomah takes that next step (or two). And it might partly explain why Spurs are so slow bringing players in. If Dembele stays, Winks healthy, Onomah part of the squad and Grealish comes there are enough bodies in midfield (Dier, Wanyama, Eriksen and Alli still being there of course).

I know things like this isn´t sexy on this board (playing someone like Onomah), but I like it. I want one player in (hopefully Kovacic), but would be even better if Onomah could surprise me. He has the potential to be a passer in midfield (like Winks) - unlike Dier and Wanyama (and Barrios).

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I'm pretty sure Bolasie was the 'best player outside the top 6' before moving to Everton and look at him now. Zaha is effective in a system where he runs around like a headless chicken on the counter.
Nah bolaise was always shit.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Nah bolaise was always ****.

Lots of flair and speed. That's what made him look better than he was.

I don't think he was actually the best player outside the top 6 while at crystal palace, but he was definitely widely regarded as one of them. Too many players of that ilk are great in counter attacking systems with space on the wings, but can't do anything against a parked bus playing for a top team.

Seems strange that he would leave now after finally gaining some real power with Arsenal after Wenger left. We'll see I guess.

member 305909

Will there ever be as dominant a team as ManCity were last season? 100/114 points. I don't think so.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Relegation candidates? I'm pretty sure Cardiff and Huddersfield are going down. Last spot I really struggle deciding.

Then again, I predicted Burnley to get relegated last season. :rolleyes:

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
1. Man City
2. Spurs
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea
5. Man Utd
6. Arsenal
7. Wolves
8. Everton
9. Leicester
10. Burnley
11. West Ham
12. Southampton
13. Fulham
14. Brighton
15. Bournemouth
16. Newcastle
17. Huddersfield
18. Watford
19. Crystal Palace
20. Cardiff

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
How do people think West Ham are going to fair this season?

Depends. If they can mesh well they should finish 7-8th at the absolute worst. But I question they’re manager and I’m not sure how they’ll do on the pitch. I mean I could see them for finishing anywhere from 7-15/16.

Jersey Fresh

Video Et Taceo
Feb 23, 2004
T.A.
Depends. If they can mesh well they should finish 7-8th at the absolute worst. But I question they’re manager and I’m not sure how they’ll do on the pitch. I mean I could see them for finishing anywhere from 7-15/16.
You question a manager that's won championships in four different leagues and took a team like Malaga to a Champions League QF?

You must question 90% of the managers in the Premiership.

And so I'm crystal clear, that doesn't mean West Ham is guaranteed top half.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
You question a manager that's won championships in four different leagues and took a team like Malaga to a Champions League QF?

You must question 90% of the managers in the Premiership.

And so I'm crystal clear, that doesn't mean West Ham is guaranteed top half.

I totally forgot Bilic isn’t their manager anymore.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
The 5 teams with British managers will finish in the bottom half of the table. Speaks volume of the quality of managers in England that 15 of the 20 teams in the EPL have non British managers.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I like Bournemouth and the way the play. I think they can stay up. But I could also see them going down because of the way they play.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The 5 teams with British managers will finish in the bottom half of the table. Speaks volume of the quality of managers in England that 15 of the 20 teams in the EPL have non British managers.

Considering the PL is basically "global" when it comes to managers I would say having five is quite impressive. And it shows teams don't have that much of a British biased (they do have some - as there should be less than 5 strictly speaking).

When the last elephants like Warnock and Hodgson retire there will be less. Hopefully we will then see more British managers like Howe coming through. There is no doubt in my mind that the recycling of managers in the top two leagues in England over the last 30 years have cost them (the English/British). Turning to Pulis, Allardyce, Moyes etc. whenever you get in to trouble won't get you anywhere longer term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad