Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
How do people think West Ham are going to fair this season?

We have the team to contend with Everton, Leicester and whoever for the 7th spot.
We got a decent manager whose teams play likable football and the Daves went out this summer and actually brought proper players in (something that wasn't done since Bilic's 1st year).

It's also West Ham. Playing in a horrid atmosphere in a non-football stadium.
I hope for a 7th place finish (especially as the rest of the non-big 6 are mostly very mediocre - or, well, bad - teams), but it's quite possible that we end up around 14th.

I don't expect lower than 14th or so, players brought in should be too good for that.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I agree that WH got a shot at 7th. Even if I believe both Everton and Leicester got superior teams. It would depend on how the new players settle. How they adapt to the new manager etc. Difficult to predict these things. Of course more or less the same story at Everton at the moment.

Normally teams making changes as big as WH have will struggle. I see that on this forum shiny new toys matter. Generally speaking the importance of "investment" from one season to another is very exaggerated on this board. Even Guardiola with unlimited resources needed a season to get adjusted (he and his team).

I could see WH ending up 7th, but more realistically 10-12th. Like Burnley last year I could see some of the more settled teams outperforming WH in 18/19. I would expect more from WH 19/20 if they can keep things together.

I would have been much more optimistic on behalf of WH if they had a fully fit Lanzini ready. They don't.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Everton need the transfers of Digne and Rojo/new CB to happen to have a shot at 7th. Keane is their only prime age CB.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
We have the team to contend with Everton, Leicester and whoever for the 7th spot.
We got a decent manager whose teams play likable football and the Daves went out this summer and actually brought proper players in (something that wasn't done since Bilic's 1st year).

I hope for a 7th place finish (especially as the rest of the non-big 6 are mostly very mediocre - or, well, bad - teams), but it's quite possible that we end up around 14th.

I don't expect lower than 14th or so, players brought in should be too good for that.
Yeah West Ham made some really nice signings this summer and had some good pieces already. Missing Lanzini won't be a big deal at all IMO with guys like Felipe Anderson and Yarmolenko coming in backed by Wilshere (who while overrated is still good when healthy) and co. I think they'll be a very tough team this year if they can get some chemistry.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Everton need the transfers of Digne and Rojo/new CB to happen to have a shot at 7th. Keane is their only prime age CB.

It's not like all the other teams in around 7th got a bunch of world class CBs lined up either. They definitely got a shot with Keane, Holgate, Williams and Jagielka. Could see Williams rebounding a bit under a new manager.

Not sure what the plan with Digne is? Play him as a left sided CB as part of a back 3? Even if the English game has changed a lot it is still based on quite a few long balls. Azpilicueta manages as a CB, but I'm not sure Digne will. If he replaces Baines as a FB the upgrade isn't really much at all - even if Baines is definitely slowing down.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yes. Who cares about Lanzini when you got Wilshere.....

WH need to move from 13th to 7th. They start off with the handicap of losing their best player (even if he wasn't fit for many games last year). Shiny new toys again....

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
It's not like all the other teams in around 7th got a bunch of world class CBs lined up either. They definitely got a shot with Keane, Holgate, Williams and Jagielka. Could see Williams rebounding a bit under a new manager.

Not sure what the plan with Digne is? Play him as a left sided CB as part of a back 3? Even if the English game has changed a lot it is still based on quite a few long balls. Azpilicueta manages as a CB, but I'm not sure Digne will. If he replaces Baines as a FB the upgrade isn't really much at all - even if Baines is definitely slowing down.

True. Everton were closer than I thought last season. Williams might but he's nearly 34, Jagielka 36, Baines 34. Digne will be their LB rotating with Baines I guess.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yes. Who cares about Lanzini when you got Wilshere.....

WH need to move from 13th to 7th. They start off with the handicap of losing their best player (even if he wasn't fit for many games last year). Shiny new toys again....
Well Lanzini and Wilshere don't occupy the same position for one, and Felipe Anderson is a better player than Lanzini. They've improved in more than just one area and they brought in a new manager. I don't think missing a player who missed nearly half the season for them last year isn't going to 'handicap' them. I also prefer Arnautovic to Lanzini anyway. Not sure why this would be a 'shiny new toys' thing. But other teams have improved as well, and there are always surprises.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I have West Ham outside of the top 10 because as much as they improved up front I don't think they did enough at the back. They conceded the most goals last campaign along with Stoke. Fabianski is an upgrade but not a massive one and I really like Diop but don't think those two are enough. I see a lot of 3-2 games for West Ham this season and a few more against then for them.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Loftus-Cheek is returning to Chelsea, it seems.
And Sarri has told Bats that he will play a role this season. I'd rather Sarri have the chance with some of these guys than spend a ton of cash on players that could be just marginal upgrades or worse. RLC could fit really well into a midfield with Kante and Jorginho.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I'm still a bit sad that Sarri went to Chelsea instead of a different league or staying with Napoli. I think they'll bounce Spurs out of the top 4 this season.

Really he should have gone to Barcelona. That would have been frightening.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

London Stadium isn’t a football stadium sure, but atmosphere can be good if the team is doing well. See win vs. Chelsea in the League Cup.

Stray Wasp

May 5, 2009
South east London
Considering the PL is basically "global" when it comes to managers I would say having five is quite impressive. And it shows teams don't have that much of a British biased (they do have some - as there should be less than 5 strictly speaking).

When the last elephants like Warnock and Hodgson retire there will be less. Hopefully we will then see more British managers like Howe coming through. There is no doubt in my mind that the recycling of managers in the top two leagues in England over the last 30 years have cost them (the English/British). Turning to Pulis, Allardyce, Moyes etc. whenever you get in to trouble won't get you anywhere longer term.

I agree with you that given the cosmopolitan nature of the league, and the salaries even middling coaches can receive, 5 British coaches out of 20 isn't so bad. (Indeed, while Chris Hughton is Irish, and there are very obvious reasons that under normal circumstances you wouldn't say that a citizen of the Irish Republic is British, in footballing terms Hughton is unquestionably a product of the English game).

As you imply, however, the detail behind the statistics is abysmal.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
London Stadium isn’t a football stadium sure, but atmosphere can be good if the team is doing well. See win vs. Chelsea in the League Cup.

Eh. It's just not the same.
It feels "false". Like a smaller club who had its history and identity trying to pretend they're world class, without the players needed.
And then all of a sudden, the crowd started feeling "false" too.

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015

Compare that atmosphere to some of the later games in Upton Park and it is not even close to being similar.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Sarri says that Callum Hudson Odoi will be staying with the first team this season. Neato, seems as if this club could maybe be turning a corner in terms of integrating youth players.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Sarri says that Callum Hudson Odoi will be staying with the first team this season. Neato, seems as if this club could maybe be turning a corner in terms of integrating youth players.
I thought that when Traore and RLC got time in 15-16 and Chalobah in 16/17. Until we let a manager stay and build their system and working with the youth to fit into that system, we will always struggle to integrate the youth. If we let Sarri go after 1 "disappointing" season, I'll be so annoyed. We have a manager that plays the style that Roman wants, so just give him a chance to work through adversity when it inevitably comes.

CHO has been fantastic in pre-season so far, so hopefully he'll get chances, maybe Europa will be a blessing in disguise.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I thought that when Traore and RLC got time in 15-16 and Chalobah in 16/17. Until we let a manager stay and build their system and working with the youth to fit into that system, we will always struggle to integrate the youth. If we let Sarri go after 1 "disappointing" season, I'll be so annoyed. We have a manager that plays the style that Roman wants, so just give him a chance to work through adversity when it inevitably comes.

CHO has been fantastic in pre-season so far, so hopefully he'll get chances, maybe Europa will be a blessing in disguise.

RLC is coming back this season, it's worth noting as well. I thought we were gonna lose Christensen, was very pleasantly surprised when we didn't. I also think we'll probably exercise the buyback (which I understand we have) on Traore at some point. I'm feeling optimistic about this, and Europa League is definitely a boon.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013

I can say that we got a good look at some younger talents in the Europa group stage and early knockouts for Arsenal last year. Chelsea should definitely do the same.

Reactions: robertmac43

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Can the season just start already? I feel like World Cup years make me crave club football more.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Callum Hudson-Odoi has a huge chance to steal a spot on this team if he can be consistent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad