Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Of course, but with Kolsinac and Monreal out, he hasn't been bad at LB. With all three out, what will you do now on that side?
Well, Niles was getting eaten alive by Mahrez on that side so the injury was sort of a blessing in disguise because when Lichtsteiner you saw the complete difference. So because of that I guess we're going to continue with Lichtsteiner there for the forseeable future, but with Emery I don't know what's going to happen - I can see him implement a million different tactics against Chelsea.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If Emery wanted to get creative they could try 3-4-1-2 with Bellerin and Welbeck as the wingbacks. Welbeck has the work rate and discipline to make it feasible, though it's not ideal. The real problem is trying to figure out which 3 CB's are worth playing.

Auba - Lacazette
Ozil
Welbeck - Torreira - Ramsey - Bellerin
Holding? - Sokratis - Mustafi
Leno
They'll probably just use Lichtsteiner as a LB again.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If Emery wanted to get creative they could try 3-4-1-2 with Bellerin and Welbeck as the wingbacks. Welbeck has the work rate and discipline to make it feasible, though it's not ideal. The real problem is trying to figure out which 3 CB's are worth playing.

Auba - Lacazette
Ozil
Welbeck - Torreira - Ramsey - Bellerin
Holding? - Sokratis - Mustafi
Leno
They'll probably just use Lichtsteiner as a LB again.
Welbeck would be trash as a wing back.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Welbeck would be trash as a wing back.

I mean it definitely wouldn't be ideal, but I think he'd be fine short-term. There's plenty of wingbacks that aren't even good defensively. I suppose if AMN is healthy he'd be a better option and that would suit him better than playing LB in a back 4. I'd be more worried about the CB's screwing up than anything else honestly.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Yeah, problem is Emery is really a 4-2-3-1 guy at heart. But you're missing some pretty integral pieces for operating that system at a high level, imo.

How I see it (everyone fully fit):
CF
Auba/Lacazette/Welbeck
LW-- CAM-- RW
Miki/Iwobi; Ozil/Ramsey ; Huge hole/Maitland-Niles
CDM-- CM/CDM
Torreira/Guendouzi ; Huge hole/Xhaka
LB-- CB-- CB-- RB
Sead/Nacho; Koscielny/Holding ; Mustafi/Sokratis ; Bellerin/Licht
GK
Leno/Cech

Short-term, really, I think Emery's two biggest challenges are having 4 talented attackers (Laca, Ozil, Auba, Miki) that don't really fit well together , nor are they all ideal for his tactics. And, having a gargantuan hole at CDM/CM. Ramsey simply isn't defensively aware enough to play the pivot - he needs to be a #10 for Emery , and Xhaka is horrendous defensively for a DM/DLP.

Long term, I think this team still needs massive surgery. Those expecting Unai to transform certain players in their prime into highly functional components of a defensively conscious/high octane pressing team are fooling themselves.

He's not a wizard. Top 4 ain't happening folks, I'm sorry.

Reactions: Tryamkin

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I thought Guendouzzi was quite impressive jumping from lower quality football to playing the PL champions. Despite some obvious errors, he was solid, looks like he had a solid future ahead.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I completely agree that the midfield is a wreck because each player needs a different system to get the most out of them. There's really no way to get Ramsey, Ozil, and Mkhi all into one team, especially with both of Auba and Lacazette. If the backline was world class then maybe you could force it, but that's certainly not the case here.

I think the most effective lineup we could put out is:

Auba
Mkhi - Ozil - Ramsey
Torreira - ???
Monreal - Kos - Sokratis - Bellerin
Obviously there would still be issues, but that gives Ramsey, Ozil, and Mkhi more freedom and less responsibility further up the pitch. Ramsey has played well as a wide AM before, but we'd run into the problem of congesting the middle and not having enough width. The fullbacks would have to compensate to provide width and we'd be exposed defensively still.

Arsenal desperately needs a true winger, a Cazorla replacement and an upgrade at CB. I still think there will be a chance to make top 4 this year though, as the other top teams outside of City and Liverpool aren't all that much better.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You guys should be playing a diamond. Though the main thing is finding a DM that can play there in this case. Maybe El Neny behind Torreira/Ramsey with Ozil in front and Lacazette/Aubameyang to play up top as the strike partners.

Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
You guys should be playing a diamond. Though the main thing is finding a DM that can play there in this case. Maybe El Neny behind Torreira/Ramsey with Ozil in front and Lacazette/Aubameyang to play up top as the strike partners.

I've never been a big fan of the diamond, but maybe that's because I can't picture the proper DM for us like you said. Getting both Lacazette and Auba on the field would be nice though.

Elneny wouldn't work as he's more of a Delph-like player, but less flexible positionally. He's basically just average at everything - recycling possession, dribbling, and has a decent shot. I was a big Coquelin fan when he was partnered with Cazorla, because he could win possession better than anybody in the league except Kante. Having him and Torreira could have been something.

Reactions: Il Mediano

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I completely agree that the midfield is a wreck because each player needs a different system to get the most out of them. There's really no way to get Ramsey, Ozil, and Mkhi all into one team, especially with both of Auba and Lacazette. If the backline was world class then maybe you could force it, but that's certainly not the case here.

I think the most effective lineup we could put out is:

Auba
Mkhi - Ozil - Ramsey
Torreira - ???
Monreal - Kos - Sokratis - Bellerin
Obviously there would still be issues, but that gives Ramsey, Ozil, and Mkhi more freedom and less responsibility further up the pitch. Ramsey has played well as a wide AM before, but we'd run into the problem of congesting the middle and not having enough width. The fullbacks would have to compensate to provide width and we'd be exposed defensively still.

Arsenal desperately needs a true winger, a Cazorla replacement and an upgrade at CB. I still think there will be a chance to make top 4 this year though, as the other top teams outside of City and Liverpool aren't all that much better.
Guendouzzi will slot in there for now, I think he has a bright future. They could look to buy someone like Danilo Pereira in January.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
completely agree that the midfield is a wreck because each player needs a different system to get the most out of them. There's really no way to get Ramsey, Ozil, and Mkhi all into one team, especially with both of Auba and Lacazette. If the backline was world class then maybe you could force it, but that's certainly not the case here.

Bingo. Well said.

I hadn't considered Ramsey out wide , but perhaps he could do a job. Another option might be to play Ramsey as the 10 and push Ozil out to RW ; because typically Emery's teams drop into a pseudo 4-3-3 when defending. I'd much rather have Ramsey protecting the two CDM's in the middle of the park than Ozil, personally.

The question than becomes: are you losing too much of Ozil's offensive potential by doing that? I dunno. He loves to drift.

And yeah, you're spot on with the RB providing width, which Bellerin is certainly capable of. It's just if he bombs forward , who's the sitting mid covering a tucked in Ozil and Bellerin way up the pitch? This is why I couldn't believe Arsenal didn't add another CDM. They don't need a star , they just need someone who's smart and can play a simple passing game. Torreira is dynamic enough he can handle the pseudo regista responsibilities in possession. Guendouzi looks pretty good , but you need to be smart about his development. You can't play him week-in-week-out.

I really hope Emery doesn't think Xhaka can be a reclamation project , because I can assure you, he can't be. You can't make someone more intelligent.

Yep , maybe even two wingers depending on Iwobi/Maitland-Niles' development.

To me, there's no point of having a player like Lacazette backing up Auba , when you don't even have starting wingers.

Same goes for having a player like Ramsey behind Ozil. What purpose does that serve when you have a gapping hole at CM/CDM? And really, it could be argued Miki is really a #10 too.

So much talent congested in two positions , yet gigantic holes in others.

Lots of work to do for Unai. This isn't a simple fix.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I don’t get the Arsenal predictions in the top 4, they just aren’t that good of a team this year. Ozil doesn’t look sharp and they don’t have Alexis anymore. Looked defensively weak against Man City and very thin on fullbacks.
Arsenal actually isn't thin on fullbacks. They have a ton. Bellerin, Lichtsteiner, Jenkinson, Monreal, Kolasinac, AMN, etc. The problem is that four of those guys are currently hurt. But I dare you to find a team that would not be thin on fullbacks when four of their top 6 fullbacks are injured. I mean, City's fullback depth is Walker, Mendy, Danilo and then I'm not sure.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I'm not sure why people are as critical of Arsenal as they have been. City had the most dominant season in England's history while adding talent in the summer. Arsenal had a disaster 2017-2018, and have a new manager. What did you think was going to happen? There were positives on Sunday. There were negatives on Sunday. Guendouzi was great. Lichtsteiner's craziness is something that we've all wanted forever. Xhaka sucked. Cech was horrible. I'm not sure how Cech managed to stay in Arsenal with Emery coming in. He was terrible all year last season.

Top 4 is still a possibility. Chelsea, United, and Spurs, also have their problems.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Chelsea vs Arsenal this weekend will be an interesting matchup to see where they are at. Week 1 really didn't prove anything to use for either side.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Arsenal actually isn't thin on fullbacks. They have a ton. Bellerin, Lichtsteiner, Jenkinson, Monreal, Kolasinac, AMN, etc. The problem is that four of those guys are currently hurt. But I dare you to find a team that would not be thin on fullbacks when four of their top 6 fullbacks are injured. I mean, City's fullback depth is Walker, Mendy, Danilo and then I'm not sure.
Well obviously. I’m speaking because they’re hurt now. AMN isn’t really a fullback and Jenkinson isn’t really someone you want starting, but yeah.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
12 weeks doesn't sound bad for a knee injury, mustn't be a big tear or the MCL not ACL.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
True but he will miss road matches against Liverpool and Spurs and a home match against Manchester United. Big games.

And CL games. So their depth will take a hit.

When de Bruyne doesn't start, they've had 20 games without him. 12 wins, 1 draw, 7 losses. They need Mahrez to plug in quickly.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
True but he will miss road matches against Liverpool and Spurs and a home match against Manchester United. Big games.

If he's back in 12 weeks from the injury he shouldn't miss the United game and would be right around match day 4 of the CL. They should be fine for the CL but the two road matches hurts. But he's not going to miss even half the year and less than a quarter of the PL season. Could be much worse like Oxlade-Chamberlin who missed key games late last year and will miss almost all of this year. Have to think the world cup didn't help him out as he probably didn't get enough time off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad