Premier League 2018-2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That's why titles aren't handed out in August. If it's an ACL he'll miss the whole season. Last time he had a knee injury he missed three months.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Missing out on the midfield reinforcements Pep wanted might come back to haunt them.

Probably not, though.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Missing out on the midfield reinforcements Pep wanted might come back to haunt them.

Probably not, though.
I was about to say, probably not :laugh: They are already so strong on the wing, it’s pretty crazy. Even without KDB, Gundogan is a born playmaker, and could probably step in and play a very similar role.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I don’t get the Arsenal predictions in the top 4, they just aren’t that good of a team this year. Ozil doesn’t look sharp and they don’t have Alexis anymore. Looked defensively weak against Man City and very thin on fullbacks.

Reactions: Gecklund

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Alexis deserves everything he gets, but he does play in Moaninho's system which has restrictions and a set of guidelines to follow about the defencive side. He was always a player who needs free roaming ability to be effective.

I don’t get the Arsenal predictions in the top 4, they just aren’t that good of a team this year. Ozil doesn’t look sharp and they don’t have Alexis anymore. Looked defensively weak against Man City and very thin on fullbacks.
Ozil is a small team destroyer, EPL teams tend to play smaller clubs more often than not and where titles are won.

Last edited:

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I was about to say, probably not :laugh: They are already so strong on the wing, it’s pretty crazy. Even without KDB, Gundogan is a born playmaker, and could probably step in and play a very similar role.

Gundogan is class , but he's injury-prone, and I'm pretty sure Pep used Stones in pre-season at CDM because Fernandinho has no adequate backup.

Maybe Phil Foden will get a bigger opportunity than originally planned. I could see Pep playing Bernardo Silva there as well.

They probably should have bought another midfielder , but yeah, I'm sure they'll manage.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I'm not so sure that not having Alexis is a bad thing these days. Dude has looked like ass ever since the United transfer.

It's because he's in a structured environment now , and he can't Allen Iverson his way all over the field. Wenger gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted on the pitch , ignoring/hiding the fact his decision making has always been really poor.

It's why Messi didn't like playing with him. He does dumb sh!t constantly.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Gundogan is class , but he's injury-prone, and I'm pretty sure Pep used Stones in pre-season at CDM because Fernandinho has no adequate backup.

Maybe Phil Foden will get a bigger opportunity than originally planned. I could see Pep playing Bernardo Silva there as well.

They probably should have bought another midfielder , but yeah, I'm sure they'll manage.
I’d like to see Bernardo down the middle for sure, I bet he would do pretty good, he seems to have a game that could translate well down the middle.

I love Gundogan, and I’m kinda hoping he stays healthy for his sake, especially now with KDB gone.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Alexis deserves everything he gets, but he does play in Moaninho's system which has restrictions and a set of guidelines to follow about the defencive side. He was always a player who needs free roaming ability to be effective.

Ozil is a small team destroyer, EPL teams tend to play smaller clubs more often than not and where titles are won.
Oh for sure, that’s where Arsenal thrives, against the smaller teams where they can showcase their tight knit passing and dribbling to spring Auba / Laca

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Oh for sure, that’s where Arsenal thrives, against the smaller teams where they can showcase their tight knit passing and dribbling to spring Auba / Laca
That's where I suggest that Arsenal can grab top 4 with Chelsea going through a big transition phase (much more than us) and United looking extremely beatable. We're probably going to get spanked by the top teams this year and perhaps I am undervaluing our transition phase, but time will tell if I am right or wrong.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
That's where I suggest that Arsenal can grab top 4 with Chelsea going through a big transition phase (much more than us) and United looking extremely beatable. We're probably going to get spanked by the top teams this year and perhaps I am undervaluing our transition phase, but time will tell if I am right or wrong.
I really have no idea, but I'm seeing some people predict them to win and some top 3 finishes and I'm not sure if they're trolls or serious. Is Maitland-Niles alright or is he out?

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
It's because he's in a structured environment now , and he can't Allen Iverson his way all over the field. Wenger gave him carte blanche to do whatever he wanted on the pitch , ignoring/hiding the fact his decision making has always been really poor.

It's why Messi didn't like playing with him. He does dumb sh!t constantly.

Alexis was always prone to holding onto the ball far too long and dribbling in circles at Arsenal rather than quickly passing to his teammates. It was obviously effective for him at times, but I felt he could have been even better if he adjusted his game a bit.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I really have no idea, but I'm seeing some people predict them to win and some top 3 finishes and I'm not sure if they're trolls or serious. Is Maitland-Niles alright or is he out?

Maitland-Niles actually played ok at LB last year except in the Liverpool game. He has great recovery speed but tends to drift out of position. He shouldn't really be playing there, but Monreal and Kolasinac both picked up injuries. Monreal should be back soon.

The person that picked them to win was just a homer vote. Knowing him, I don't believe he was being serious.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Not sure if Niles is alright or not (still up in the air from the latest reports I've seen), but he's not really a LB to begin with. What we're hurting at is Monreal's nagging injury.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Alexis was always prone to holding onto the ball far too long and dribbling in circles at Arsenal rather than quickly passing to his teammates. It was obviously effective for him at times, but I felt he could have been even better if he adjusted his game a bit.

That's what I mean , his contribution to decisive, proficient buildup play is erratic at best. That and his propensity to go for illogical killer passes completely destroying promising possessions.

He's a turnover machine and has no concept of the intricacies of build-up play.

I don't think it's a matter of him adjusting his game, I just don't think he has the football IQ to change.

Not a fan.

Reactions: KJS14

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
I'm really interested to see how well Wolves and Fulham can adapt to the top flight this year. Wolves grabbed a draw against a strong Everton squad (albeit with a man advantage). Neves and Jota were obviously two fixtures of the team last year, and have looked sharp already this year, but adding Moutinho, Patricio, Jimenez and Dendoncker among others will really upgrade their squad and give them a real underdog shot. After staying in the league for a year, I could see them make a Leicester type run. (Dendoncker is a player I really like and I think he could provide some great quality to the side).

Fulham as well has added some great pieces. Schurrle obviously will be a great threat for a promoted team, and they looked fantastic last year with Sessegnon and Mitrovic. Jean Michael Seri will be a fantastic addition for them, one of the more underrated players signed recently. Frank Anguissa as well was a big money signing from Marseille and their defensive midfield spot should be locked up. Alfie Mawson will be a decent depth signing on the back as well.

Cardiff just doesn't have the horses to stick around. I could be wrong, but in this situation they just haven't done enough.

Tryamkin

May 18, 2015
Canada
Not sure if Niles is alright or not (still up in the air from the latest reports I've seen), but he's not really a LB to begin with. What we're hurting at is Monreal's nagging injury.
Of course, but with Kolsinac and Monreal out, he hasn't been bad at LB. With all three out, what will you do now on that side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad