Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Just saw this and found it incredibly interesting. Since WWII United has had 464 players feature for them. 49% have come from the Academy.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Just saw this and found it incredibly interesting. Since WWII United has had 464 players feature for them. 49% have come from the Academy.

Hard to really read anything out of that statistic. For one thing we have no idea what other teams' stats are like for that same period, for another that is an insanely long period and that could easily mean something like 99% of players were from the academy for the first half of that time and 1% for the second half of that time.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Hard to really read anything out of that statistic. For one thing we have no idea what other teams' stats are like for that same period, for another that is an insanely long period and that could easily mean something like 99% of players were from the academy for the first half of that time and 1% for the second half of that time.

United have always had strong academy representation, and there’s really two standout generations.

The busby babes and the class of 92.

There’s also the insane streak of like 80 years of having at least one academy graduate in every match day squad.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
He’s not there yet. But could be.

It’s David Silva at this point in time.
Yeah I'd say Silva for his quality and longevity. Alonso is a decent shout but I don't think he played in the PL long enough, and even when he did he didn't light up the world the entire time -- I would put Fabregas above him.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
United have always had strong academy representation, and there’s really two standout generations.

The busby babes and the class of 92.

There’s also the insane streak of like 80 years of having at least one academy graduate in every match day squad.

Well, sure, my point was more that that statistic doesn't really demonstrate that without some context of what other top teams look like. I mean, if you take all teams at all levels, 95% of teams in Europe have like 95% of their squad from their own youth teams...

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
09-10 season from Fabregas was ridiculous. If he hadn't left it would have been him with some margin. Not a huge fan of the Fabregas that came back. Certainly not in this context of the best ever.

Now it is De Gea, Silva and then Fabregas for me.

Silva is brilliant, but he has never really been the clearly best player in his position in the PL (depends how you define his position I guess). de Gea is and has been the best goalkeeper for quite a few years (I thought Lloris was close at one point, and Curtois was as well, but overall de Gea has been on top for quite some years now).

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Just over the half way point: Who are peoples 3 teams to go down this year?

Mine are:
18) Fulham
19) Burnley
20) Huddersfield

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
09-10 season from Fabregas was ridiculous. If he hadn't left it would have been him with some margin. Not a huge fan of the Fabregas that came back. Certainly not in this context of the best ever.

Now it is De Gea, Silva and then Fabregas for me.

Silva is brilliant, but he has never really been the clearly best player in his position in the PL (depends how you define his position I guess). de Gea is and has been the best goalkeeper for quite a few years (I thought Lloris was close at one point, and Curtois was as well, but overall de Gea has been on top for quite some years now).
Fabregas in 14/15 was great too, 18 assists. He was also great in 16/17, very productive, but wasn't a full-time starter.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Still good of course, but if we are talking best ever then I think he falls a bit short in his later years (not that there have been too many great Spanish players in the PL). When he was younger he was an absolute force in midfield. I think he lost that at a fairly young age (he is still not that old). Kept his great vision and passing ability though (which means he still racked up "points" - this being a hockey board and all). Not that dissimilar to how Scholes changed his game through his career.

Arsenal always dominated Spurs in the NLDs, but even when Spurs were the clear underdog (fighting to avoid relegation even at some point) you still felt you had a chance (the naive optimism of football fans). However, there were two players that time after time seemed unplayable and that was Henry and for a shorter spell Fabregas. Not primarily thinking about goals, but just how they would dominate games in a way very very few players are capable of.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Still good of course, but if we are talking best ever then I think he falls a bit short in his later years (not that there have been too many great Spanish players in the PL). When he was younger he was an absolute force in midfield. I think he lost that at a fairly young age (he is still not that old). Kept his great vision and passing ability though (which means he still racked up "points" - this being a hockey board and all). Not that dissimilar to how Scholes changed his game through his career.

Arsenal always dominated Spurs in the NLDs, but even when Spurs were the clear underdog (fighting to avoid relegation even at some point) you still felt you had a chance (the naive optimism of football fans). However, there were two players that time after time seemed unplayable and that was Henry and for a shorter spell Fabregas. Not primarily thinking about goals, but just how they would dominate games in a way very very few players are capable of.
For sure. I think the argument you can make for Fabregas was that his peak in his time at Arsenal was better than what Silva did with City.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If he stays out a month, he'd be back right at the Dortmund game and before Chelsea and Arsenal. If it extends to 6 weeks he could miss all three of those and be in danger of missing the 2nd leg of Dortmund.

Their PL schedule is actually pretty easy for the next 5 weeks, so it may not entirely derail their season like it would if this injury happened a few weeks from now.

Granted, it happening at the same time that Son leaves is gonna hurt.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
What has Huddersfield been doing with the Premier League money? Reportedly they made over 100 million pounds last season. Why have they not invested in the squad? Puzzling. Now they are going to be relegated.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
What has Huddersfield been doing with the Premier League money? Reportedly they made over 100 million pounds last season. Why have they not invested in the squad? Puzzling. Now they are going to be relegated.
BAH GAWD That's Sam Allardyce's music!

Reactions: Jersey Fresh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad