Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
He knows when to give a confidence boost.
Firmino has had few WC games this year... Certainly not every day.

Reactions: Gecklund

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Almost all Liverpool's owners contributions went to the stadium or academy. No real surprises there. I remember they did also put 50m in for players the first summer they were there.

They still need to finish the stadium expansion but I'm glad they aren't shoveling debt onto the club.

Reactions: Fred McCarthy

Fred McCarthy

Dec 26, 2018
It me ..Gritty!
Almost all Liverpool's owners contributions went to the stadium or academy. No real surprises there. I remember they did also put 50m in for players the first summer they were there.

They still need to finish the stadium expansion but I'm glad they aren't shoveling debt onto the club.
Wasn't Kuyt bought unusually , something to do with not enough money...can't remember exactlay but somebody within the club put up the money ?

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
United have spent way more on servicing loans than player purchases. Amazing.

Yea, Glazers really saddled the team with a boatload of debt. It's incredible to think how much more United could have spent on team building if they didn't dump half a billion into debt servicing plus additional payouts in dividends that are basically Glazers taking money out of the club.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Yea, Glazers really saddled the team with a boatload of debt. It's incredible to think how much more United could have spent on team building if they didn't dump half a billion into debt servicing plus additional payouts in dividends that are basically Glazers taking money out of the club.

It's a lot worse than I thought. I knew it was bad, but I hadn't seen the breakdown of the numbers in awhile.

Problem is, to buy the club would be a few billion. Who is buying that without a good amount of debt?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The dividends are a very small %, and it's not even an issue on principle.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
A list of cash expenditures is pretty pointless though without context. This doesn't really tell you anything of meaningful value.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The dividends are a very small %, and it's not even an issue on principle.

I mean, they're almost exclusively paid to the Glazers and are in addition to the pretty decent salaries they take as directors/board members.

It may not be a lot in comparison to the loan financing, but it's still something like 75 million or so over the last several years. Considering Woodward wouldn't buy a CB over the summer because of the cost, it's definitely affected their business.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I mean, they're almost exclusively paid to the Glazers and are in addition to the pretty decent salaries they take as directors/board members.

It may not be a lot in comparison to the loan financing, but it's still something like 75 million or so over the last several years. Considering Woodward wouldn't buy a CB over the summer because of the cost, it's definitely affected their business.

I agree with all of this, but one of the things that pissed me off was the Mourinho brigade using this as a major defense. Fact is, he bought terribly. He spent 65m on Bailly and Lindelof. He pushed the Miki-Sanchez swap which cost a bunch in wages alone. Pogba and Matic were fine. Lukaku was a boat load of money and not worth it. Fred is a disaster.

There's the Glazer angle that's an issue without a doubt, but Mourinho spent horribly. Flat out. You can't spend 300m net on 2.5 starters, then claim the next 50 they wouldn't give is the issue.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I agree with all of this, but one of the things that pissed me off was the Mourinho brigade using this as a major defense. Fact is, he bought terribly. He spent 65m on Bailly and Lindelof. He pushed the Miki-Sanchez swap which cost a bunch in wages alone. Pogba and Matic were fine. Lukaku was a boat load of money and not worth it. Fred is a disaster.

There's the Glazer angle that's an issue without a doubt, but Mourinho spent horribly. Flat out. You can't spend 300m net on 2.5 starters, then claim the next 50 they wouldn't give is the issue.

Right, they still spent more than any English club except for City in that time frame in the chart, and that's because City was essentially buying a new team for a few of those years.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY

Oh I don't disagree with that at all. Transfers under Mourinho were poor at absolute best.

My comment wasn't meant as a "poor United, can't keep up due to the Glazers" but more a "holy crap can you imagine if they had spent *another* 500 million on players"

Reactions: maclean

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
David Silva is the better player imo. For a second Torres could've laid claim to that title; and De Gea could be on his way as well. Basically no, I don't think so.
Torres was garbage for basically half of his PL career, so I wouldn't put him up there.

Fair call on Silva, but I feel people forget how godly Cesc was early in his career.

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
There is little reason to believe Mourinho had final say on transfers, so it's improper to say 'he' bought this or that guy. I'm sure he was a voice in the room, but it's pretty obvious that he wasn't the one calling the shots.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Torres was garbage for basically half of his PL career, so I wouldn't put him up there.

Fair call on Silva, but I feel people forget how godly Cesc was early in his career.

Like I said for a second Torres could've had that title. Yeah Cesc was great early in his career but his second stint was solid, but nothing that amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad