Premier League 2018-2019 Part II

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
No one is saying anything bad about De Gea, but this season (so far) Alisson has been better. And that's okay.
In what way has Alisson been better? His distribution is better, for sure, but he certainly hasn't singlehandedly won Liverpool any games.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
No one is saying anything bad about De Gea, but this season (so far) Alisson has been better. And that's okay.

I think if you switch them teams, but otherwise keep their caliber of play the same, Liverpool doesn't lose any points (any maybe gains a couple, I can't remember if any Alisson mistakes have ended up costing points off the top of my head) and United is several points worse than they are now. And that'd have held prior to yesterday as well.

Edit: As I said, I'd still give the nod to Alisson based on how insane giving up only 10 goals in 22 games is even if the majority of that is due to a ridiculous season by the team in front of him.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think if you switch them teams, but otherwise keep their caliber of play the same, Liverpool doesn't lose any points (any maybe gains a couple, I can't remember if any Alisson mistakes have ended up costing points off the top of my head) and United is several points worse than they are now. And that'd have held prior to yesterday as well.

Edit: As I said, I'd still give the nod to Alisson based on how insane giving up only 10 goals in 22 games is even if the majority of that is due to a ridiculous season by the team in front of him.
Liverpool is better than Man U at the moment, but let's not forget that LFC's defense has been held together by scotch tape since November. The two biggest reasons for LFCs defensive resurgence are Virgil and Alisson.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
In what way has Alisson been better? His distribution is better, for sure, but he certainly hasn't singlehandedly won Liverpool any games.
Should we start with Clean Sheets? Liverpool are winning 1-0 games this year, which they couldn't do previously, which is where why they are where they are in the table. How many games has Alisson lost them?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Liverpool is better than Man U at the moment, but let's not forget that LFC's defense has been held together by scotch tape since November. The two biggest reasons for LFCs defensive resurgence are Virgil and Alisson.

And uniteds defense is consistent? You guys have arguably the 2nd or 3rd CB in the world to anchor your d line. We have Phil Jones lol.

I don’t think DDG should legit be in over Alisson, but I think he’s been the better goalie this year.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
And uniteds defense is consistent? You guys have arguably the 2nd or 3rd CB in the world to anchor your d line. We have Phil Jones lol.

I don’t think DDG should legit be in over Alisson, but I think he’s been the better goalie this year.
Yes, Virgil is great, but besides Robertson, the rest of the defense has been a revolving door.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
The biggest reasons are van Dijk and a dedication to team defence and pragmatism. Klopp learned from his mistakes previously of being far too attack heavy and has evolved to a more pragmatic approach that encourages patience and support on the defensive end.

Don't get me wrong, Alisson has been great, but he hasn't been some great deliverance that has held Liverpool together. Do you really think the majority of our clean sheets or defensive record is down to Alisson? How many shots has he even faced this year? Our defence has been incredible and he's stepped in at a fairly high level when needed. We don't rely on him nearly to the level that United relies on de Gea (though again, I don't know that Alisson COULDN'T perform to that level, we just don't need him to).

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
fwiw, United have given up 5 shots PG more than liverpool. That's over 100 shots this season. DeGea has 32 more saves than Alisson.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
The biggest reasons are van Dijk and a dedication to team defence and pragmatism. Klopp learned from his mistakes previously of being far too attack heavy and has evolved to a more pragmatic approach that encourages patience and support on the defensive end.

Yea, VVD is obviously huge, but the change in philosiphy is massive too.

I remember a couple seasons ago Liverpool had a borderline must win game and it was close at the end. In something like the 87th minute you still had one CB crossing to the other CB, they were both basically the highest players up the pitch. That was old Klopp, press and attack no matter what. New Klopp understands that there's a time and place for it and Liverpool of this year are happy not going on runs like that and just seeing the game out safely.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
DeGea has got to be the keeper in TOTY for me.

Not to take anything away from Alisson, but DeGea faced more shots in the 2nd half of the Spurs game than hes faced in a month.

He's the best goalie in the league and until someone has a run to prove differently, he's gotta be in the TOTY imo
If you base yourself on one game that's self explanatory.

Alisson has the best saves/goal ratio, the most clean sheets AND most importantly (along with VVD) turned the Liverpool defense from pure crap to one of the best in Europe.

If he continue on the same trend I don't know what else he can do more.
If De Gea cotinue playing out of this world and United remain undefeated he would make a case but not a this point.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
So let me get this straight, Liverpool's defense has somehow been a shambles thus making Alisson better than De Gea who happens to play for United who with their defense not to mention the fact they're on their second manager? Or better yet if United remain undefeated then you could make a case for De Gea? The Liverpool commentary on this forum...

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
So let me get this straight, Liverpool's defense has somehow been a shambles thus making Alisson better than De Gea
Who said this?

who happens to play for United who with their defense not to mention the fact they're on their second manager?
This has been stated by multiple people.

Or better yet if United remain undefeated then you could make a case for De Gea? The Liverpool commentary on this forum...
We'll ignore the rest of the discussion and focus on one comment. Not sure how that is reflective of the 'Liverpool commentary on this forum'.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Who said this?

This has been stated by multiple people.

We'll ignore the rest of the discussion and focus on one comment. Not sure how that is reflective of the 'Liverpool commentary on this forum'.

@Savant very clearly above with that "scotch tape" comment, which incidentally comes off the heels of Fabinho's CB performance against Brighton no less.

Multiple people not being your peers.

It's reflective because commentary like this has been going on this season, and it's very clearly not just one comment in this instance. It's written on this very page in plain sight for you to read.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
If you base yourself on one game that's self explanatory.

Alisson has the best saves/goal ratio, the most clean sheets AND most importantly (along with VVD) turned the Liverpool defense from pure crap to one of the best in Europe.

If he continue on the same trend I don't know what else he can do more.
If De Gea cotinue playing out of this world and United remain undefeated he would make a case but not a this point.

That's very clearly hyperbole to stress the difference in defenses. It's a massive difference.

We've seen Alisson take over games at Roma, so I'm not saying he's not a great keeper - he is. But I don't think he's been challenged much at all this year. And that's a testament to the team playing such good defense.

Reactions: YNWA14

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
@Savant very clearly above with that "scotch tape" comment, which incidentally comes off the heels of Fabinho's CB performance against Brighton no less.

Multiple people not being your peers.

It's reflective because commentary like this has been going on this season, and it's very clearly not just one comment in this instance. It's written on this very page in plain sight for you to read.
Fabinho had a good game against Brighton, but coincidentally look how bad the midfield was that game. Playing Fabinho at CB was a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. And also, let's not pretend that we knew Fabinho at CB would work. When was the last time he played there? He didn't look great against Wolves in that position.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If he stays out a month, he'd be back right at the Dortmund game and before Chelsea and Arsenal. If it extends to 6 weeks he could miss all three of those and be in danger of missing the 2nd leg of Dortmund.

Their PL schedule is actually pretty easy for the next 5 weeks, so it may not entirely derail their season like it would if this injury happened a few weeks from now.

Granted, it happening at the same time that Son leaves is gonna hurt.

So looks like today they've said he'll return to training in early March and will miss almost 2 months.

So that means he misses both legs of the CL R16, misses the second leg of the league cup against Chelsea, misses a trip to Stamford Bridge, and the home fixture of the north London Derby.

A bad stretch through this time could easily cost Spurs a CL place given they're only 7 up on Arsenal and United.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Couldn't be a worse time for the Kane injury either with Son away on international dury for a spell.

Fortunately their league schedule isn't too bad over that stretch, although Son is going to miss the second leg of the league cup semi and probably will miss the FA cup match against Palace.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Fortunately their league schedule isn't too bad over that stretch, although Son is going to miss the second leg of the league cup semi and probably will miss the FA cup match against Palace.
Will be interesting to see what they do up front, whether they just throw Llorente out there for those games or look to tweak their approach and use somebody as a false 9 (Moura or Lamela maybe?)

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
giphy.webp

Reactions: hatterson

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Allisson TOTALLY won some points by himself. So many late saves, and it was stressed on this forum everytime it happenned in weekly threads and how it didn't happen last year.
I could understand DDG votes, I have no problem either way, but to understate Allisson's importance for Liverpool seems completely stupid to me.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I would pick de Gea for Team of the Year, however...the difference is not very big and it's fair to vote for either. Proof? There's tons of proof.

Some of these saves look easy, but just like de Gea, they are both always in the right position. His crazy save against Burnley is not in this video either.

We'd be nowhere near first without him so maybe it's enough justification to pick him.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Nobody is saying that Alisson isn't fantastic. He isn't the reason Liverpool are in 1st though, and while that highlight video is nice it will only focus on his strengths. He's put himself in trouble multiple times with slow decision making this season, and had the lines cleared for him, as well as having made a few mistakes that led to goals, as well as some questionable positioning on maybe one or two goals as well.

I'd have him at 2nd best keeper behind de Gea. Not because he can't steal games, but because Liverpool don't need him to.
Allisson TOTALLY won some points by himself. So many late saves, and it was stressed on this forum everytime it happenned in weekly threads and how it didn't happen last year.
I could understand DDG votes, I have no problem either way, but to understate Allisson's importance for Liverpool seems completely stupid to me.
Which points did Alisson win by himself?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad