Premier League 2017-2018

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
Normally I don't like stuff like that, but I don't blame him. Someone has to make it uncomfortable for Levy. Much rather it be Rose than any of the other dozen underpaid guys that want to win a trophy.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
For all the people acting like Liverpool hasn't done enough this is a pretty good read:

https://tomkinstimes.com/2017/08/paul-tomkins-big-201718-liverpool-fc-preview/

This being a very nice excerpt for those with the doom and gloom mentality:

Before panicking about the season – and there’s still time left in the window to make more signings (and hold on to Philippe Coutinho) – it’s worth remembering this:

Jürgen Klopp, aided by an excellent staff, is an improver of players. Each year he still needs to buy some additional players who suit his style of play, and to work on upgrading a squad, but his career is marked out by improving players and creating unified teams, with a strong tactical identity.

As much as we all like the euphoria of new signings, and the promise they bring, it’s worth remembering that, all along, Klopp has stated that there are many ways to do things. If you listen to him speak, you will understand that he’s a hugely pragmatic, optimistic character, who will work with what he has (or what he can get).

It seems that he wants to target very specific players, and if they cannot be gained at a sensible price – or even inflated prices – he will not hurriedly rush to alternatives. He will not buy players he does not think better than what he has, just for the sake of it, when he can work on improving what he has. Of course, you can’t turn slow or medium-paced attackers into Sadio Mané or Mo Salah, but as Klopp himself has stated, suddenly he has Ryan Kent, a much-improved 20-year-old, and Alberto Moreno, who I will move onto later. If you go through the squad, as I will do, you will see that it’s already stronger in several areas. What was planted several years ago is now starting to bear fruit.

What Spurs have done these past few years should be replicable for Liverpool; and even more still, given the club’s bigger budget. Klopp and Mauricio Pochettino seem cut from similar cloth, and the dramatic, hitherto unimagined improvements at Spurs – 86 points! – has been achieved with little spending, but a lot of nurturing. Indeed, their late “panic buy” of Moussa Sissoko serves as a warning for buying for the sake of it. (He may still come good, but added nothing last season.)

Lippi operated on the same philosophies. It's more important to have a unified team that's well integrated than to necessarily buy players just for the sake of buying them -- especially if you already have a boatload of talent there to be nurtured. Klopp's work is already paying dividends and with holding onto Coutinho and the improvement other players have shown it's only going to get better.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
What was actually wrong with what Rose said?

I don't understand owners of these big name clubs who don't actually want to spend. Why would you bother yourself with this business if you are not going to give your team a blank checkbook? I could understand not paying the Neymar buyout clause, but not wanting to spend like 100M per season on players? You are asking to not have success from a sporting standpoint. If you want to save as much money as possible, sell your team, and let someone who wants to spend some money own that club.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's not about buying for the sake of buying. It's about buying the right players; that doesn't always come with just throwing money around as we've seen plenty in the past.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
It's not about buying for the sake of buying. It's about buying the right players; that doesn't always come with just throwing money around as we've seen plenty in the past.

Thats why Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester United are the most successful clubs in Europe instead of Sevilla, Lyon, Southampton, etc.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
The truth is that Tottenham is cash-strapped right now because of the new stadium.Arsenal lived the same thing when they moved from Highbury to the Emirates.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Thats why Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Manchester United are the most successful clubs in Europe instead of Sevilla, Lyon, Southampton, etc.

Take Real Madrid out of the equation and look at the core of the teams that you're listing (though you're leaving out Liverpool, Ajax and Milan who are all more successful than United). Those teams didn't win because they went out and bought players just to buy players.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Take Real Madrid out of the equation and look at the core of the teams that you're listing (though you're leaving out Liverpool, Ajax and Milan who are all more successful than United). Those teams didn't win because they went out and bought players just to buy players.

I didn't say buy players to buy players. Spurs have spent no money this summer. They recently let go of one of their best players because they didn't want to pay his wage demands.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Fosu-Mensah loan to Palace official.

Saw DeBoer talk about how TFM could feature at RB in a back 4, or RCB in a back 3. Really wish he would get some time in MF.

Overall, it's a good move to get time this season

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
I didn't say buy players to buy players. Spurs have spent no money this summer. They recently let go of one of their best players because they didn't want to pay his wage demands.

I like Walker, but I wouldn't say he was one of their best. Combine that with Trippier being maybe 10% less than Walker...50 million pounds more than makes up the difference. But the problem is, they didn't spend that to get either a reliable back-up for Trippier or a direct competitor, and now he's going to be out a while.

So you're right, it's not the fact that they are avoiding spending recklessly, it's that they are not even covering their bases.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
I like Walker, but I wouldn't say he was one of their best. Combine that with Trippier being maybe 10% less than Walker...50 million pounds more than makes up the difference. But the problem is, they didn't spend that to get either a reliable back-up for Trippier or a direct competitor, and now he's going to be out a while.

So you're right, it's not the fact that they are avoiding spending recklessly, it's that they are not even covering their bases.

No it doesn't mate because it's going to/ has cost us Danny Rose too, probably to the other Manc lot. We develop players, become competitive, then get picked off by the financially doped clown show clubs, but we're not a selling club, the hell we're not & we don't sell to our direct rivals...sure! I'm disgusted.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Rose's reasons to justify a future move were relatively fair. I'm more pissed at the way he went about it. Deciding to arrange an exclusive interview with the Sun to say quite alot of disrespectful things.

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
Rose's reasons to justify a future move were relatively fair. I'm more pissed at the way he went about it. Deciding to arrange an exclusive interview with the Sun to say quite alot of disrespectful things.

How are his reasons for trying to force a move 'fair'? He's purely gold digging, likely prompted by Uncle Mark(Rankine) , also his agent & lo & behold also Kyle Walker's agent. It's dirty & cynical as hell.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Right now you have the Manchester teams as the two best. There are weird things going on at Tottenham, who are short staffed as well as Liverpool and Chelsea. Arsenal is a complete wild card. There is a ton of variance on the London teams. As of today here is my prediction

1. Man Utd
2. Man City
3. Liverpool
4. Chelsea
5. Arsenal
6. Tottenham

De Gea is going to be the difference and Man U will feast on the little teams. I don't think they will do particularly great in Europe but they are built to win in England. City will come close but are integrating too many new pieces and their goalkeeping is still a huge question mark.

What Tottenham had going for them was their players buying into their infrastructure. Right now that is being challenged immensely. If they don't start fast they could be in trouble. Also the new stadium effect could hurt them. Pochettino has his work cut out, and he may be up for it. I might be too low on them but there are visible cracks.

Arsenal got better, but I don't know how much better. I don't love Lacazette. They are another team that needs to start fast. With their two most talented players approaching Bosman, anything could happen there.

Chelsea is another team that can go anywhere. I think Hazard's injury puts a ton of pressure on Morata and the jury is out on him. I think Conte is too good to keep them from falling out of the top 4, but it's going to be a difficult season, and a lot will depend on how he balances the squad.

Finally Liverpool. I think you can roll a dice, and that would be as good of a guess as any as to where they end up. A lot needs to go right for them but under year 3 of the Klopp project, they are in a decent position. I don't think they have the squad depth to run at the league title, but I think they could have the best European run with their performances against top teams. That being said, a lot depends on the draws. If they get out of Europe early they will go heavy on the FA Cup. They need silverware this season badly.

BUT with the transfer window still open (if it was up to me it would close August 1 before the season started) this is all subject to change. I'll see if I want to revise at the end of the month.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
don't agree with the manner Rose went about it, him having the same agent as Walker, something smells here...both were happy then all of the sudden aren't...

as Spin said, Trippier made Walker expendable, Davies really hasn't made Rose the same...

As long as Levy finds a way to bring some depth in, I'll feel ok...a 2nd year of CL money should help free some cash up to pay some of the guys...but I think Rose is down the list of those who will get the next round of pay bumps...

Johnnywhite

Aug 27, 2009
White Hart Lane
“It’s been a great couple of week for the club with Dele, Eric, Christian, Harry Winks all signing contracts,” Rose said.

"Everyone knows that the Club is going in the right direction and I'm over the moon that I'll stay here until I'm an old man." Danny Rose, September 22nd, 2016.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Normally I don't like stuff like that, but I don't blame him. Someone has to make it uncomfortable for Levy. Much rather it be Rose than any of the other dozen underpaid guys that want to win a trophy.

Through The Sun?

Personally I don't care too much because I know a lot of people being that famous, that rich etc. tend to develop their self-centered "#%"¤ side. I'm not saying they are bad people deep down, but without anyone to keep you grounded you get these kind of Bieber-like interviews.

That doesn't mean it is OK and that "he shouldn't be blamed". If he didn't like the direction of the team why did he sign a long contract? You can't have it both ways.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
The main players Spurs should be worried about leaving soon are Rose, Alderweireld, Eriksen, and maybe Dele.

Some believe that the club may be sold after the stadium is finished.

Last edited:

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
The main players Spurs should be worried about leaving soon are Rose, Alderweireld, Eriksen, and maybe Dele.

Some believe that the club may be sold after the stadium is finished.

These things are fairly random though. But quite clearly Spurs are in a situation where if individual players do well they will be sold much in the same way Monaco "had" to sell and how it looks like Arsenal will be losing players.

Praying Spurs won't be sold to someone from Qatar, Russia etc. I know most fans disagree, but the most enjoyable part of being a Spurs-fan the last 20 years have been seeing the club develop step by step without any financial "doping" (of course Sugar might have saved the club from going bankrupt at one point). Becoming a new City in London would kill some of the fun of being a fan for me. Instead of hoping for players to develop you just end up hoping someone will throw away more money than the others on some fancy name. So utterly pointless and so removed from what sports are about.

In combination with being a Canucks fan that would mean a fairly uninteresting life for me for quite a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad