GWT: Premier League 1/21-1/22

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
So after all these games going their way, how much you want to bet Arsenal plays to a 0-0 draw tomorrow against Burnley?

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
As others have said, the Sterling penalty incident is exactly why I've got no time for referees who complain about how difficult their job is.

Should have been a clear penalty, but it wasn't a red card. Can't say he denied a clear goal scoring opportunity when Sterling got a shot on goal.

City's movement and decision making in the final third was atrocious. That's the reason they failed to win.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Jesus & Sane looked dangerous though. With Moreno coming in as well, Citeh will be lethal in the final third in the near future.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
As others have said, the Sterling penalty incident is exactly why I've got no time for referees who complain about how difficult their job is.

Should have been a clear penalty, but it wasn't a red card. Can't say he denied a clear goal scoring opportunity when Sterling got a shot on goal.

City's movement and decision making in the final third was atrocious. That's the reason they failed to win.

In the current rules, that's a clear penalty and a clear red card.
There is no going around that.

It's also a great example of why players dive and embelish - the refs simply don't give fouls for shirt tugs and pushes etc. unless you fall down like you've been shot.

This one is on the ref 100%, even though I was cheering for the Spurs in the game.

Also, people should lay off Liverpool, that team simply looks fatigued, especially with some players out.
They play a high pressure style that made them look like Real Madrid for half a season, but at some point, fatigue sets in.
This break in February will do them a world of good, I fully expect them to go back to their play from up to a couple of weeks ago after that.

Last edited:

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Also, people should lay off Liverpool, that team simply looks fatigued, especially with some players out.
They play a high pressure style that made them look like Real Madrid for half a season, but at some point, fatigue sets in.
This break in February will do them a world of good, I fully expect them to go back to their play from up to a couple of weeks ago after that.

Why? Lots of their supporters actually think they're Real Madrid. You know with how they have a top 5 b2b midfielder, only team to challenge Chelsea for the title right now and the fact that they don't need any signings right now because their kids are La Masia part 2.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
Why? Lots of their supporters actually think they're Real Madrid. You know with how they have a top 5 b2b midfielder, only team to challenge Chelsea for the title right now and the fact that they don't need any signings right now because their kids are La Masia part 2.

And lots of their supporters think doom is coming and they'll finish 6th.
It doesn't make it true.

I'm not interested in what "lots of supporters" think, football fans in general know very little about football, especially ones who never played or were never coached at any level.

Fatigue and playstyle has most to do with Liverpool's problems in a season that's nevertheless very, very good.

There's a reason why they've won most of their matches vs the top teams and not lost a single one; and why they can struggle against mid-table and bottom teams if things don't go their way early.
The high pressure leaves you open at the back - and while that's much less the case vs team that want to attack as well (like ManCity or Arsenal), there's always a higher chance you'll leave your defenders exposed with no support vs teams like West Ham or Leicester (if the result isn't in your favor).

Having Mane and Matip back will help, both offensively and defensively.
Matip is a calming influence at the back and will allow Lovren to go back to his proper side (he's playing his "off" side with Klavan).

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
I haven't seen much of the game, but that was a clear penalty. We're there other things?

If anything he could have easily carded at least two arsenal players for surrounding him after the call.

Weak red card, Arsenal should've had a penalty earlier, and 7 minutes stoppage time.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Now don't get me wrong, seeing moss in the middle of a joke of a game is nothing shocking.

I'm assuming Wenger will get a touch line ban for several games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad