GWT: Premier League 1/21-1/22

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Gotta disagree Edo, I thought that was clearly offsides on Koscielny. However, it's not like Arsenal are the ONLY team who get offside goals, every single team in the league does - ranging from Swansea, Chelsea, Bristol City, to Arsenal.

That was a really cheeky attempt by Sanchez on his penalty, I would hope he would never try that again. :laugh:

Yeah Wenger is probably going to be suspended for a couple of matches. Not only did he push the ref once or twice, but three, I don't think you can do three and still get away from punishment IMO. You can tell that he was frustrated, not only did they get a red card, but giving a penalty in stoppage time boiled him over.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
8 points up on the title, but still 16 games to go. We need to at least keep a reasonable pace down the stretch here.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
8 points up on the title, but still 16 games to go. We need to at least keep a reasonable pace down the stretch here.

Seems like the next two games will decide it. If Chelsea win both games it's basically over, but if they lose both it's suddenly a giant mess at the top.

A couple draw will tighten things up but still leave them as heavy favorites.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Seems like the next two games will decide it. If Chelsea win both games it's basically over, but if they lose both it's suddenly a giant mess at the top.

A couple draw will tighten things up but still leave them as heavy favorites.

If they win both they'd have to have a massive collapse to drop the title I think. Draws will also leave them in good shape.

Arsenal and Liverpool will essentially need to win 3 more games than Chelsea does out of the next 16 to move ahead of them. It's a tough ask for anyone, but not impossible.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
If they win both they'd have to have a massive collapse to drop the title I think. Draws will also leave them in good shape.

Arsenal and Liverpool will essentially need to win 3 more games than Chelsea does out of the next 16 to move ahead of them. It's a tough ask for anyone, but not impossible.

Spurs have the easiest schedule yet. They're already done with Chelsea and ManCity, have Arsenal and ManU at home and have 9 straight matches to make hay against non-top 6 clubs.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Having not qualified for European football this year has tremendously helped Chelsea so far. But man, would I love to see this year's team against the powerhouse teams.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah, honestly, we'd get beat pretty bad. Definitely not at a point of competing continentally quite yet, and I think the lack of European competition is the main reason we're doing so well in the league.

Yep, we have very limited depth at important positions and a team like Tottenham can make us look very vulnerable. Our weaknesses aren't exposed as bad to teams that are poor defensively, like City because we can strike against them, but against other solidly built teams, like Tottenham then we don't look like a powerhouse like some think. Now put us up against the Euro powers, then we'd be in big trouble.

With the money from some sales, Nike, and playing CL next season, we'll be able to attract players to fill those weaknesses. Mainly getting a goal-scoring midfielder that can partner with Kante and can still stay strong in possession. Then add an upgrade or just depth to wing-back, and we should be more suited to compete.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Chelsea are in the position they're in is because they found a way to win those "draw" games. Barca had 4 last season. RM had 6. Juve had 4. LC had 12. Arsenal in 2nd place had 11. When Chelsea won the EPL they had 9.

Currently Chelsea ONLY have 1 draw. This will definitely change and teams like Arsenal, Spurs, and others will make up ground. Now, please don't think that I believe Chelsea will lose the title, I would rather be in their position than us, or Manchesters' for that matter.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Chelsea are in the position they're in is because they found a way to win those "draw" games. Barca had 4 last season. RM had 6. Juve had 4. LC had 12. Arsenal in 2nd place had 11. When Chelsea won the EPL they had 9.

Currently Chelsea ONLY have 1 draw. This will definitely change and teams like Arsenal, Spurs, and others will make up ground. Now, please don't think that I believe Chelsea will lose the title, I would rather be in their position than us, or Manchesters' for that matter.

Yes and no. It's also a testament to how Chelsea has done in terms of grinding out results. In order to be a title-winning side (in an average season), you gotta be able to squeak three points out of the tight games. Chelsea last year had 14 draws because we were terrible at grinding out those results. We've had come-from-behind victories where there was more mental toughness on display then we've had in a LONG time (title winning season included), and frankly we've just beaten the teams we've had to beat. Like today for instance, we played like garbage against a team we should be beating and won 2-0. So is the amount of draws we have unsustainable? Yeah, probably, and there probably will be draws in the second half of the season. But it's not entirely luck that we have so few so far, it's a reflection on our ability to win the games we need to.

Title is absolutely not in the bag yet, the next two weeks will show a lot.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Yes and no. It's also a testament to how Chelsea has done in terms of grinding out results. In order to be a title-winning side (in an average season), you gotta be able to squeak three points out of the tight games. Chelsea last year had 14 draws because we were terrible at grinding out those results. We've had come-from-behind victories where there was more mental toughness on display then we've had in a LONG time (title winning season included), and frankly we've just beaten the teams we've had to beat. Like today for instance, we played like garbage against a team we should be beating and won 2-0. So is the amount of draws we have unsustainable? Yeah, probably, and there probably will be draws in the second half of the season. But it's not entirely luck that we have so few so far, it's a reflection on our ability to win the games we need to.

Title is absolutely not in the bag yet, the next two weeks will show a lot.

I guess it helps that Hazard might actually occasionally make an effort this year.

Ridiculous how such a talented player could contribute so little last year. Got to wonder how many of those draws would have been wins if he had cared for more than Spurs not winning the league.

This season reminds me a bit of Ferguson´s last season. ManUtd ran away with the league without being that good. Not that Chelsea don´t deserve to be on top, but.....

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Reports that Ryan Mason suffered a fractured skull and cranial bleeding and is currently just hanging on in hospital. Thoughts and prayers, really rooting for him. Scary ****.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I guess it helps that Hazard might actually occasionally make an effort this year.

Ridiculous how such a talented player could contribute so little last year. Got to wonder how many of those draws would have been wins if he had cared for more than Spurs not winning the league.

This season reminds me a bit of Ferguson´s last season. ManUtd ran away with the league without being that good. Not that Chelsea don´t deserve to be on top, but.....

Hazard showed up clearly out of shape last year and got off to a bad start, and he wasn't the only one. Carried through most of the season until the last 5-10 games at least.

ProPAIN

I am the DANGER!
Nov 3, 2009
Paris
Reports that Ryan Mason suffered a fractured skull and cranial bleeding and is currently just hanging on in hospital. Thoughts and prayers, really rooting for him. Scary ****.

According to a club statement he's stable after undergoing surgery. It came to a shock to me as well when I read the initial reports he was "hanging on".

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Hazard showed up clearly out of shape last year and got off to a bad start, and he wasn't the only one. Carried through most of the season until the last 5-10 games at least.

Fab said the players got too much freedom from Mourinho and they took advantage of it. Most did not train properly.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Fab said the players got too much freedom from Mourinho and they took advantage of it. Most did not train properly.

Not surprised. They didn't look fit to start the season, and when the losing started it looked like they tuned Mourinho out completely.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
At least Xhaka got a straight red...I don't have to witness him for another 3 matches. bonus.

the game evened out for Arsenal, with the ref missing the pen earlier on Mustafi. The offside call was trivial...not even worth blubbering on about.

the correct team won in the end.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
Exactly. My point is that this isn't just about grinding as a team. Or at least not that "grinding mentality." Much more down to certain individuals now looking like themselves again. Quite possibly, at least partly, due to better conditioning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad