GWT: Premier League 1/21-1/22

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Exactly. My point is that this isn't just about grinding as a team. Or at least not that "grinding mentality." Much more down to certain individuals now looking like themselves again. Quite possibly, at least partly, due to better conditioning.

Conte has had a big impact on the mentality of the team. Jose going soft on them made no sense.

PeteWorrell

[...]
Aug 31, 2006
At least Xhaka got a straight red...I don't have to witness him for another 3 matches. bonus.

the game evened out for Arsenal, with the ref missing the pen earlier on Mustafi. The offside call was trivial...not even worth blubbering on about.

the correct team won in the end.
That guy has been such a disappointment.Stay on your feet you moron.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
how many reds is that for Xhaka now

It's 2 this season, 3 the season before, and 2 the season prior to that. That's a major problem, you can't have an important player bringing you to 10 men and racking up suspensions like that.

Compare that to the mosted hated Costa, who has only had 1 red since being in England.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It's 2 this season, 3 the season before, and 2 the season prior to that. That's a major problem, you can't have an important player bringing you to 10 men and racking up suspensions like that.

Compare that to the mosted hated Costa, who has only had 1 red since being in England.

Xhaka has always been a red card magnet though. Arsenal shouldn't be surprised

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015

Yea it's not like Costa didn't get away with a few incidents that warranted a red card.

This is another example of the argument about numbers being subjective or objective that occurred in another thread.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yea it's not like Costa didn't get away with a few incidents that warranted a red card.

This is another example of the argument about numbers being subjective or objective that occurred in another thread.

And Costa is the only one that gets away with bad calls. Another comment with bias against Costa. If we go back and correct every bad call, we'd see more yellows and reds for a lot of players.

Costa hasn't received many reds over his entire career. He pushes the line to get under the skin of the other team, and typically he knows how to push it and when not to. He'll get hot headed at times, but there is a big difference between someone who pushes the line and gets yellows to someone who is reckless and get multiple reds a season.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Costa isn't known for dangerous leg breaking tackles or anything either. The majority of his possible missed reds in England have been for altercations.

Not even close to the only player who has gotten away with a couple red card worthy plays either.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Well prior to now Xhaka's reads have mostly been due to two yellows as opposed to straight reds.

He hasn't really been a dangerous player in terms of brutal tackles, he just doesn't seem to be able to control himself and accumulates a ton of yellows.

Since 13-14 he's earned 31 yellows (6 red from double yellow) at the club level in 122 apps.

That's an average of 2.5 red per 38 game EPL season and 9.5 yellow.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Nothing will anger me more than remembering the game where Gabriel got red carded and Costa got (IIRC) a yellow (it may have been nothing) only for Costa to be retroactively suspended and Gabriel having his red card rescinded.

(Sorry if this is too Chelseaphobic, Vamos Rafa)

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
And Costa is the only one that gets away with bad calls. Another comment with bias against Costa. If we go back and correct every bad call, we'd see more yellows and reds for a lot of players.

Costa hasn't received many reds over his entire career. He pushes the line to get under the skin of the other team, and typically he knows how to push it and when not to. He'll get hot headed at times, but there is a big difference between someone who pushes the line and gets yellows to someone who is reckless and get multiple reds a season.

You're the one that brought his name up.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Nothing will anger me more than remembering the game where Gabriel got red carded and Costa got (IIRC) a yellow (it may have been nothing) only for Costa to be retroactively suspended and Gabriel having his red card rescinded.

We know eye pokes and choking only warrants a yellow.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com

Perfect example of suspensions should be handed out.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
People will obviously disagree, but I've quite liked Xhaka so far.

His insanity, adrenaline, and physicality is like a breath of fresh-air for this club. Of course he needs to think about certain situations like yesterday where he ran and jumped into the tackle (you just can't do that). However, I do have some faith that under Wenger he will get better throughout the year and become better in understanding what situations to do what.

Edo

The Mightiest Club
Jun 7, 2003
vancouver
wowhockey.com
People will obviously disagree, but I've quite liked Xhaka so far.

His insanity, adrenaline, and physicality is like a breath of fresh-air for this club. Of course he needs to think about certain situations like yesterday where he ran and jumped into the tackle (you just can't do that). However, I do have some faith that under Wenger he will get better throughout the year and become better in understanding what situations to do what.

He was looking pretty good and settled in yesterday before the red card. Seemed to be controlled and doing a good job of spreading the ball around. An infinite amount times better than Coquelin.

mmk786

Mar 3, 2004
Man Xhaka has been such a disappointment. He was hyped up beyond belief entering the season.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Well prior to now Xhaka's reads have mostly been due to two yellows as opposed to straight reds.

He hasn't really been a dangerous player in terms of brutal tackles, he just doesn't seem to be able to control himself and accumulates a ton of yellows.

Since 13-14 he's earned 31 yellows (6 red from double yellow) at the club level in 122 apps.

That's an average of 2.5 red per 38 game EPL season and 9.5 yellow.
I don't think Xhaka is really a thing where he commits dangerous tackles out of frustration or anything, I think it's more of a thing where he tries to get "stuck in" and ends up committing to a lot of 50/50 or worse tackles. To me it's about better judgement as to when a tackle is or isn't worth it.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Seriously, dude, Costa is about as dirty as it gets.
The fact that he's been getting away with so many offenses that warranted a red card is an exception, rather than the rule.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad