Post-Game Talk: Preds @ Flames 3-9-16 8:30pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

XxSmashville18Xx

Nov 14, 2015
Smashville, TN
As I followed up, it is more of a coaching issue with OT. It is all on Lavy. His practice decisions have single handedly likely thrown away 5-6 points which would put us right in the mix for top 3.

I totally get your point, but playing la right now sounds pretty nice. Both games only beat us by 1 when pekka wasn't playing all that great then?? There team imho isn't that good at all. I think we beat them in 5.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I totally get your point, but playing la right now sounds pretty nice. Both games only beat us by 1 when pekka wasn't playing all that great then?? There team imho isn't that good at all. I think we beat them in 5.

Keep dreaming. LA and Anaheim are both nearly as thuggish as Winnipeg. We would not survive the beating for two weeks. LA in 6, Ducks in 4. Our best shot is Dallas.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Forsberg skating two full times around the offensive zone, protecting the puck, was one of the silliest things that I've seen all season. He continues to think that 3-on-3 OT is about challenging players one on one and tempting them to try to get the puck away from him. I've said this at least twice before, but he shouldn't be allowed on the ice in OT. He just doesn't get it. In his defense, though, it's the coaches' job to make sure that he gets it, and it's clear that the coaches, themselves, don't get 3-on-3, either.

I said this way back in November or so, but, if the team's skill players don't know what to do in OT and aren't getting the job done, other players should be tried, even if they're bottom-6 players. Maybe kids like Arvidsson, Salomaki and Jarnkrok should be given a chance. The coaches, however, simply continue throwing their top players out there, as though they think that they're doing everything right and just having bad luck. You would think that, after a 1-12 record, they might think that maybe their coaching is the problem, not bad luck.

Last edited:

XxSmashville18Xx

Nov 14, 2015
Smashville, TN
Keep dreaming. LA and Anaheim are both nearly as thuggish as Winnipeg. We would not survive the beating for two weeks. LA in 6, Ducks in 4. Our best shot is Dallas.

Yeah we would easily. Wide awake, no dreams here. No ands ifs or buts about it. You keep talking about firing lavy for what reason, he says he works on 3-3 ot every practice. I've seen multiple interviews where he's said that. You act like there's no chance this team could beat anybody, it's usually all negative even when we win. I don't understand it at all. Makes no sense at all. :help: me understand. And don't get me wrong man I've seen a lot of your post and agree but at the same time you say we lose before the game is over, I mean I just don't understand some of things you say man. I even like reading some of your post.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
This isn't the night to read all kinds of *****ing about OT. We played horribly, got a point down 2 late, and kept our streak alive. 3 on 3 OT is flukey garbage and has no bearing on playoff success. A 1-12 team in overtime could win a Cup just as easily as a 12-1 team, because OT records mean nothing.

XxSmashville18Xx

Nov 14, 2015
Smashville, TN
This isn't the night to read all kinds of *****ing about OT. We played horribly, got a point down 2 late, and kept our streak alive. 3 on 3 OT is flukey garbage and has no bearing on playoff success. A 1-12 team in overtime could win a Cup just as easily as a 12-1 team, because OT records mean nothing.

Gotta add a boom at the end of that man! Good points

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012
I don't see our OT record being any different then how bad our shootout record used to be. 3 on 3 is a gimmick just like the shootout. Some teams will just be better at it then others. Calgary are 11-5 in OT and are the 27th in the league. I'd rather be 1-12 and in the playoffs.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
At this point I'm all for just playing hot potato/keep away on our OT and just taking it into the shoot out.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
Fine. Whatever, I didn't want to make another gdt anyway. Jerks. :pout: :cry:

Preds were not in this game from the start. Looked tired and sluggish.

I know I should be happy with a point we probably didn't deserve, but this OT crap is beyond ridiculous and it pisses me off.

Congrats to Tony Bitetto! :handclap:

I really hate the name Johnny Hockey. We saw what happened to Johnny Football I would think he'd want to get rid of that nickname. Not a good start at all. The first shot was just a laser and this last one was the D men tripping each other up.

Not only will you continue to hear it, he actually trademarked the name! But to be used for "charitable" uses only....

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin
What's up with the stupid travel on this trip anyways? We're already in Alberta, why not just stay there and play the Oilers? Nope, have to travel to Vancouver and then travel back to Edmonton. Good scheduling, real impressive.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Forsberg skating two full times around the offensive zone, protecting the puck, was one of the silliest things that I've seen all season. He continues to think that 3-on-3 OT is about challenging players one on one and tempting them to try to get the puck away from him. I've said this at least twice before, but he shouldn't be allowed on the ice in OT. He just doesn't get it. In his defense, though, it's the coaches' job to make sure that he gets it, and it's clear that the coaches, themselves, don't get 3-on-3, either.

I said this way back in November or so, but, if the team's skill players don't know what to do in OT and aren't getting the job done, other players should be tried, even if they're bottom-6 players. Maybe kids like Arvidsson, Salomaki and Jarnkrok should be given a chance. The coaches, however, simply continue throwing their top players out there, as though they think that they're doing everything right and just having bad luck. You would think that, after a 1-12 record, they might think that maybe their coaching is the problem, not bad luck.

I'm all for this. Give the bottom six or the kids a try. If anything at least they can get some practice on the 3 on 3.

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011

Forsberg is a great and skilled player but I think sometimes he tries to do too much on his own rather than utilizing his teammates more which in some situation like on the 3 on 3 would be better.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'm all for this. Give the bottom six or the kids a try. If anything at least they can get some practice on the 3 on 3.

Honestly, it may well be a disaster, but so is what they're doing now, so what do you have to lose?

Forsberg is a great and skilled player but I think sometimes he tries to do too much on his own rather than utilizing his teammates more which in some situation like on the 3 on 3 would be better.

That's exactly the problem. He skated around the offensive zone two full times, waiting for one of the Flames players to make a mistake, instead of passing to one of his teammates to relieve the pressure. 3-on-3 OT is all about maintaining possession (i.e. playing keep-away), whether that's by passing to an open teammate as soon as you're being pressured or, if no one is open, skating the puck back towards your zone so that you can re-group or get fresh bodies on the ice. The worst thing that you can do is get in one-on-one battles and risk turning the puck over, and that's exactly what they do OT after OT.

Last edited:

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Re: practicing OT...

At this stage of the season practice in the traditonal sense is almost non-existent. They skate to stay loose, the frequent scratches and rehabbing players will do a bit more. But there's definitely no new strategy coming in at this stage. The season has worn on the players, the schedule condenses after the ASG and the effort is ramped up in game as the team pushes for the playoffs, so the logical place to save a bit of physical and mental energy is in practice/morning skates.

The off season, training camp and the early schedule (pre-christmas) is the time to get new systems and strategies in place.

Now if the OT record is in the same place next season, then it's time to really question the coaching there.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
If you mean skating around too much with a bunch of opponents on top of you until you lose the puck or just skating two laps around everybody rather than passing to your teammates for them to shot the puck or taking a shot yourself and having your teammates go for rebounds then no.

Not what happened at all. He carried the puck deep and they changed the other 2 on the ice, then on his 2nd pass around he gave it to the guy at the half-wall so he could go change - it was actually pretty sound strategy.

Phototropic

Feb 4, 2012
Chattanooga
Not what happened at all. He carried the puck deep and they changed the other 2 on the ice, then on his 2nd pass around he gave it to the guy at the half-wall so he could go change - it was actually pretty sound strategy.
I agree. Forsberg definitely tends to force the play too much in OT and do exactly what everyone else is saying, but in this case he was circling because there was nothing available and the change could be made. No different than when most guys will just skate it out of the offensive zone to keep possession while they change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille